Why do they charge?

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I went to the snowmobile show in Edmonton and Prince George, I enjoyed the Edmonton show but why just like the Home Show's do they charge to get in?
I understand parking in Edmonton as thats just the way it goes however $15/person to view vendor products that they are trying to sell just doesn't make sense. Sure not everyone buys something but the vendors are there to sell.
I wasn't to annoyed with the fee until I went to the Prince George show. Did anyone else go to it? It was a complete rip off! Hardly any vendors and the biggest booth/display there was Snowbunji.
If you say the money is for the "stunt show" then why was the one in PG out front in the open outside? All you had to do was park in the parking lot, walk to the front door and watch it for free with everyone there that paid. It wasn't in a different area that only purchased tickets could get to, it was open to the public.
I'm all about supporting my new fav sport/interest but, COME ON!!!
Just like the "Home Show", vendors and more vendors trying to sell me something and yet I still have to pay to go.

All in all, at least Edmonton had some deals to be had.

tavis43

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15 dollars was a bit steep for me, but was impressed with the vendor turnout

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
$15 buck i just would of spent it somewere else the view was nice thou:d

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soo why didn't you just turn around and leave...? You obviously didn't need to be there that badly.

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't even bother with the Edmonton sled show on a regular basis. Maybe every three years or so.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I understand parking in Edmonton as thats just the way it goes however $15/person to view vendor products that they are trying to sell just doesn't make sense.

It appears that it is just the way it goes with the $15 entry......

Now, the ASA pays a rental fee, the vendors pay a rental fee, you pay an entry fee, the security gets paid, the cleaners/janitors get paid, the set up/take down workers get paid, and it all goes around.

Everyone gets upset when taxes go up, so in my little world, the user should pay and in the end Northlands should not cost the taxpayer any money....just saying

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know the exact reasons for the sled show entry fee, but having taken part in other show committees in the past there are many costs to factor into the entry fees...

The initial cost of renting the area for the show is one, arenas, collesiums, halls, don't just give up the space for free. That usually doesn't include any rentals for tables or displays, the cost of any requested security or extra maintenance staff that are on hand for cleaning up as well. Then there is the cost of any advertising that has to be taken into account.

There are many volunteers at these type of shows, but many others, like some of the barely clothed young ladies you see are not free either (maybe for this show they volunteer?)

Some shows estimate the volume of traffic they will see based on previous years to determine price. I don't know the actual participation/crowd turn out over 3 days but I am sure there isn't a huge amount of revenue generated from it, if any at all. Many shows opperate at a loss.

I knew the price before I went, I know anytime it might be something I enjoy or it could be something I felt ripped off with. Its nice to have a show before the snow flies thats for sure.

BC Sno-Ghost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you crooklyn 100%. This has been an issue for me for a long time. In our area we're always getting fore mentioned "Home Shows" the "Outdoor and Leisure" show the "Boat Show" and so on and these things are not cheap to get into, so obviously I don't go. These retailers want us pay an admission fee to view products they want us to purchase. Not Fricken likely! $15 for a sled show? That's a gallon of gas here in BC:beer:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Snowmobile Show is the #1 fundraiser for the Alberta Snowmobile Association. They use this money to promote snowmobiling in Alberta to you riders,government and to fight the fight for us to continue our fun time in the winter. This money helps educate young snowmobilers help clubs build trails and to keep the government incontact with what we want as snowmobilers. Just to name a few programs the ASA does.

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey I wanted to go so i went ;)
:rant:
I know venues, security and cleaning all cost but isn't that what the booth rentals are to cover? I don't think the Amsoil girls come with the show, isn't that a vendor provided thing? :d
Did they really need to bring the stunt demonstration in to justify the fee?
If we have to pay entrance fees thats fine however then don't charge for the booths and let more vendors come to draw in a larger crowd.
For my 1st show i was EXCITED!!! To look at all the cool products and everything up front was worth it.
Prince George, sad to say was NOT worth it at all and I felt sorry for some of the vendors that did come from other regions.

Will I go again?...sure but probably not to PG's

Its always fun to stir the proverbial pot.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Saskatoon Show would have been a better choice of shows to take in rather than PG. Saskatoon Show this weekend. Only a 5 hr drive

storch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's 15 dollars people, come-on----Really. My kids went in free and they loved it. I went twice and look forward to going next year.

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15 bucks ain't even the case of beer you drink the night after the first ride with buddies......come on.....if 15 bucks is breaking the budget.....maybe it's time to take up needle point or crochete. You could spend a nice, quiet, afternoon with gramma, and save some money.

Seriosly.....the name of our game is motorsports, it costs money. I drove to Edmonton, from Calg for the show....didn't really think there were that many deals to be had, paid my 15 to get thru the door to.

Went home knowing I just spent the afternoon doing something I love....looking at and talking about sleds.

DID NOT go home complaining about the cost of everything.

crooklyn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"15 bucks ain't even the case of beer you drink the night after the first ride with buddies......come on.....if 15 bucks is breaking the budget.....maybe it's time to take up needle point or crochete. You could spend a nice, quiet, afternoon with gramma, and save some money."

HAHAHAHAHAHA

I drove 8hrs and spent a some good coin.

All in all i'm just sayin!

boydo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i paid for my wife, dad and myself and parking! plus bought vids, calendars (not only for me!!), stickers and misc other stuff! not anything big but damm near 3 bills by the time it was said and done!! once a year, good outing, good causes, just do it and like it!!!! if not maybe a model train show would be better for you! lol

Top Bottom