What is it with used vehicles

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
When I was looking for a replacement for my 1989 3500 454 4-speed anything I went to look at in the $5-7K range was in worse shape with higher miles than my 1989....

funny to hear johnny talk about a lack of supply.... I have a 1989 3500, 4x4, ext-cab, long box, a/t/c with 147K Km, NO RUST and completed insurance inspection that I couldn't even get $2K for....

had one guy come look and start pointing out flaws like the oil filter gasket leak and peeling clear coat which were mentioned in my ad.... after 1.75 hors of humming & hawing I finally told him "dude it's a $2000 truck, if you haven't made up your mind yet...you don't want it"

so I kept it... I'll keep it around for pushing bales and pulling buildings around

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I was looking for a replacement for my 1989 3500 454 4-speed anything I went to look at in the $5-7K range was in worse shape with higher miles than my 1989....

funny to hear johnny talk about a lack of supply.... I have a 1989 3500, 4x4, ext-cab, long box, a/t/c with 147K Km, NO RUST and completed insurance inspection that I couldn't even get $2K for....

had one guy come look and start pointing out flaws like the oil filter gasket leak and peeling clear coat which were mentioned in my ad.... after 1.75 hors of humming & hawing I finally told him "dude it's a $2000 truck, if you haven't made up your mind yet...you don't want it"

so I kept it... I'll keep it around for pushing bales and pulling buildings around
only 112 more to go........... have a heart man a give that thing away.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well That sounds fair......... but I think i'll keep the old girl......she ain't eatin no bread and has been a better truck than the new ford.......best backup a guy could have is something that works.

Ya they are great trucks. I just only want to spend what I got for cash on my old truck. Ideally, under $10,000. But tough to find a decent diesel for that.

The supply doesn't seem low, just quality ones. Anyones are priced so stupid it's not even funny. I can buy a brand new 2010 with every single option for $55k OTD. Some people want that much or more for 2008 WTH?

I sold my 2001 2500 cummins 4x4 with 310k 4 years ago for $14,500 in decent shape. People still want that for the same truck or one with even more miles, ain't no way in HELL. I wouldn't pay more then $9,000 for a truck like that now.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
only 112 more to go........... have a heart man a give that thing away.

wow..... I was ony 48 away at one point.....

Looks like someone has been house cleaning......

As for the giving it away..... not the truck because it still can serve a purpose, now the BMW every azzhole is trying to lowball me on, I have 1/2 a mind to find some kid who would truely appreciate it and just sign it over to them for chits and giggles.....

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's pretty dumb. I base "great shape" off year and mileage. For a 20 year old truck great shape takes a lot less, which is understandable. It's not going to be perfect with a 20 year old paint job.

I mean, if it's a 2004 with 140km like my truck I just sold. I expect it to be dahm near mint unless it's really cheap. My truck had one tiny tiny dent, and a few scratches on the tailgate, and about 2 rock chips on the box, and a few on the hood. Other then that it looked like it just came off the showroom floor. Interior did not have a mark anywhere. My biggest gripe looking has been rockers that were pelted with rocks and rusted/no paint left. I didn't run mud flaps a LOT of the time and I barely had ANY. So I know all those trucks were abused for sure.

I am picky as hell if I am spending a lot of money on a truck, but not for $2000.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I ened up going older on my diesel...

would rather buy a "close to mint" 1994 with 235K than a beat to chit 2001 with 355K

and even then I paid $4500 for the truck and put $3500 into the front end.

Ya they are great trucks. I just only want to spend what I got for cash on my old truck. Ideally, under $10,000. But tough to find a decent diesel for that.

The supply doesn't seem low, just quality ones. Anyones are priced so stupid it's not even funny. I can buy a brand new 2010 with every single option for $55k OTD. Some people want that much or more for 2008 WTH?

I sold my 2001 2500 cummins 4x4 with 310k 4 years ago for $14,500 in decent shape. People still want that for the same truck or one with even more miles, ain't no way in HELL. I wouldn't pay more then $9,000 for a truck like that now.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I hear ya .......... but I am looking at new dodges now ...and I can't seem to find what i'm looking for for the price.........I paid close to 60 for the 05.....every option they had........Now I only want something with cloth seats compass and temp...........anything else is a throw in .......can;t seem to even get that for 55..........OTD I had one dealer give me a firm quote go in there and they didn't have the truck...........WTF...... 2 hr drive for squat....... but if I order a truck I want a better price.... no dealer holding costs there like if it was sitting on the lot................still looking though.......thats why I thought about selling the 05, just so I wouldn't have any payment. but even cash deals are a might steep.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ened up going older on my diesel...

would rather buy a "close to mint" 1994 with 235K than a beat to chit 2001 with 355K

and even then I paid $4500 for the truck and put $3500 into the front end.

Yea I don't want to do much work, if any. Which is why I was leaning towards a 1500 they seem to get work a lot less, but I can't get past the stupid IFS.

I am not worried about the front end, I can do the entire thing my self for under $1000 IF the price reflects it enough to bother. One of my biggest concerns is tranny. So few standards and I don't trust autos much.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I don't want to do much work, if any. Which is why I was leaning towards a 1500 they seem to get work a lot less, but I can't get past the stupid IFS.

I am not worried about the front end, I can do the entire thing my self for under $1000 IF the price reflects it enough to bother. One of my biggest concerns is tranny. So few standards and I don't trust autos much.

my chevy was at 400k when i sold it the guy put on another 40 or so before he was selling it, lost his license for drinky drinky, and still did not have the tranny replaced was a 97 2500 with a 5.7 and i believe it was a 4l80e tranny.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya .......... but I am looking at new dodges now ...and I can't seem to find what i'm looking for for the price.........I paid close to 60 for the 05.....every option they had........Now I only want something with cloth seats compass and temp...........anything else is a throw in .......can;t seem to even get that for 55..........OTD I had one dealer give me a firm quote go in there and they didn't have the truck...........WTF...... 2 hr drive for squat....... but if I order a truck I want a better price.... no dealer holding costs there like if it was sitting on the lot................still looking though.......thats why I thought about selling the 05, just so I wouldn't have any payment. but even cash deals are a might steep.

I know someone who got a 2010 3500 dually laramie every option for $55k OTD. Didn't catch the dealer name, but paying in cash helps a ton. It pays to lowball them eventully one dealer will do it. When my mom was considering before, Derrick Dodge originally wouldn't take $50k OTD for a 08 3500 mega every single option, they wanted $52k, but eventully emailed back and would take it, were just to late decieded not to buy. Did it all through email which is nice and easy to. But if you wait till the 2011 come out they will be even cheaper cause they are the old model.

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know someone who got a 2010 3500 dually laramie every option for $55k OTD. Didn't catch the dealer name, but paying in cash helps a ton. It pays to lowball them eventully one dealer will do it. When my mom was considering before, Derrick Dodge originally wouldn't take $50k OTD for a 08 3500 mega every single option, they wanted $52k, but eventully emailed back and would take it, were just to late decieded not to buy. Did it all through email which is nice and easy to. But if you wait till the 2011 come out they will be even cheaper cause they are the old model.
Yeah my year end is up here real soon......can't wait till the end of august sept ish..........to buy a new one .........if I wouldn't take so much of a beating I would see the ford I bought last year...... only 40 K all hwy......but the trades for that are a good 25 g less what I paid..........Ohh well Might have to bite the bullet and order one in wataskeiwin

SNOWPUSHER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've been looking for a dodge 2500 for a while just for a farm truck, i found a '98 with cummins for $8000, looked at the add it had 550,000 kms, had new tranny, lift pump, thats it, i just about told him to f%^& him self

and all the good trucks i'm in the same boat, they dont answer the phone or reply to emails!!!!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya it's a good deal, as long as it's as he says which i'm hoping. Interior is dirty and he even said it needs a really good cleaning, but whatever. Few bits of body damage one door when someone tried to break in, and another dent, but nothing big and it's nice to know BEFORE I go there.

Funny though, at michener on the weekend, this truck would of went for like $12,500 atleast plus buyers fee and tax :eek:

SNOWPUSHER have you looked at this one? Seems decent, really low km.

Dodge 2500 Cummins 6sp 2001 - Red Deer Pickup Trucks For Sale - Kijiji Red Deer

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just hope I can keep it stock lol. I said that with my old 04 and put way to much money into it.

I am already thinking a 3" lift and 22.5's would look sick........

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got home with it. Better then I expected. I am pretty much sure the truck needs nothing.

Brand new front and rear driveshafts, t-case, batteries, brakes within 40,000km. Steering is tight as ever. Wasn't started all day so it was a cold start, perfect. No blowby or any sort of issues to speak of. New transmission that shifts SO nice, it's aftermarket and I fell in love with it 100x better then the stocker. Brand new toyo m55's I believe it is, litterly just put on. Guy owned a tire shop so guess it didn't cost much but still really nice.

Quite a few rock chips over the whole truck, but other then that it is very nice not bad for the km though. Only thing it needs is 1 clearance light in the dually fender and a good cleaning overall. Tiny exhaust leak under the hood just past the turbo, will have to look what it is but not worried. Only body damage was a crack in 1 dually fender about 6" long, and someone broke in and damaged the drivers door handle a bit.

Got it for $9,500. Couldn't possibly be happier with the buy :beer:

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got home with it. Better then I expected. I am pretty much sure the truck needs nothing.

Brand new front and rear driveshafts, t-case, batteries, brakes within 40,000km. Steering is tight as ever. Wasn't started all day so it was a cold start, perfect. No blowby or any sort of issues to speak of. New transmission that shifts SO nice, it's aftermarket and I fell in love with it 100x better then the stocker. Brand new toyo m55's I believe it is, litterly just put on. Guy owned a tire shop so guess it didn't cost much but still really nice.

Quite a few rock chips over the whole truck, but other then that it is very nice not bad for the km though. Only thing it needs is 1 clearance light in the dually fender and a good cleaning overall. Tiny exhaust leak under the hood just past the turbo, will have to look what it is but not worried. Only body damage was a crack in 1 dually fender about 6" long, and someone broke in and damaged the drivers door handle a bit.

Got it for $9,500. Couldn't possibly be happier with the buy :beer:
good on ya man........ hope it fits you without spending a pile. but for 9500 it's a good deal.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fat tire... What are you towing your Raptor with?

Top Bottom