turbo or supercharger?

kellyandhislimo

RIP - March 16, 2023
Reaction score
Ok I am new to this but am looking into going boosted. I don't know alot about these but in everyone's opinion what is better and more reliable? what is the difference? I did a little research but to me opions may be a little stronger than what I have read and understand.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a pretty loaded ?. Its kinda like ford or chev. All you will get is somebodys view. What type of yami, assuming since you posted in this section. Riding where? Ab, Bc, Sk, etc, are you the type of guy that needs to be @ the top of the pile? Have mech skill? People will tell you dont to wrench, thats bs. Its man made, something will break. What kind of dollars are you wanting to spend? Install yourself or pay somebody. Does price of race fuel bother you? Im going to guess, your looking @ a nytro, 153/162. After you ride boost, you will always want more. The 180kits are pirced good, but they install fast as the motor doesnt have to come out. The 240/270 kits have to come out to install head shim, cam tensior is on the backside, not like the 4cyl engines. If not wanting something that have to mess with, push buttons, etc. I would suggest 240/270 mcx rear mount kit. If wanting all out power, Impulse all the way! See you got my opinion, next to what type of boost, is how good the selling dealer for after the sale. Reason I didnt say much about superchargers, dont know anybody with them. MPI used to have so/so tech support. The supercharger installs really clean thou, that part is awesome. Best bet is just read & read & form what works best for you.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your going to trail ride under 5000ft I'd go super @ 5psi. Simple install and reliable and you would rarely need to adjust the fuel box. MPI says pump gas at this boost level, I'd run 93 octane to be safe (a splash of av gas or race). I'm running mine at 5psi now just to get used to the kit.

Over 5000ft and mtn riding a mpi stage 1 @ 10psi is a nice set-up with a blow-off valve. You will need to make adjustment to the fuel box during the day though as your elevation is changing 3000-6000ft in a ride. If your comfortable tweaking your fuel during the day to keep it safe or from being too rich then no problem. If not then turbo and go with a kit that altitude compensates.

TomKat72

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To each is thier own but I love my Supercharged Apex!!!! I'm running a stage 1 10-11#'s of boost at 6-8,000' and it's great for me. If you are going to be doing a lot of long pulls climbing then you may look into the turbo's as they will make a little more boost on the top-end. I'm sure the turbo guys can probably can shed more light as to that. For me the instant response of the super is unbelievable and excites me everytime I ride it. Just my 2 cents!!

modmanmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO the mcx kits are just awesome. If you get it set up by someone who has done these a few times they really are turn key. I had mine installed 2 years ago and I havent touched a thing! just turned up my boost! Thats it! but if you go this way make sure you keep an eye on the install progress. I've seen some hack installs where the dealer isnt using heat shrink on connections and things like that. these kinds of shortcuts will get you every time! mcx rear mount on a nytro with tunnel dump. mod madness makes a seat specifically for this design and it gives you a seat with a huge storage compartment and nice clean finish for your intake. just my thoughts. good luck.:beer:

Top Bottom