The 15 minute City Debate starts tomorrow!

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wayyy overreacting to this. Every single city has some type of 15 min city in it. It makes sense from a planning sense for example that enough grocery stores get developed so you don't have to drive 30 min to get them. You think they are going to magically put up walls or arrest people for leaving the area? Just shut down the entire workforce? They didnt even do that for Covid.....
Whenever you say “ that will never happen” just say to yourself “ just 2 weeks to flatten the curve”….

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
exactly, 15 minute cities have (although not named that) have been the basis of planning and development for a century. Every investor wants to jam as many restraunts, grocery stores and whatever else as feasibly possible as a city expands. hence why chain stores have minimum distance requirements. This stuff isnt new. But on the other hand this city council any mayor has to go. City has gone to Ch*t. havent seen a paving crew yet and its june. Roads are just falling apart.
Have you seen what's happening in the UK? Traffic Cameras set up in neighborhoods to fine people for leaving their "zones". These cameras are being painted, and or cut down by freedom fighters.
First it will be fines or "travel tolls" added onto property taxes then after the sheeple bend over and get used to no lube penalties will get stiffer. When you don't pay they will take your property. "You will own nothing"....

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard the Federal government paid cities and towns big dollars if they came up with a 15 minute plan. It was easy money even if they never thought they would go ahead. Now I expect more money will be offerd if they move forward on the plans. Using our own money to control us.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard the Federal government paid cities and towns big dollars if they came up with a 15 minute plan. It was easy money even if they never thought they would go ahead. Now I expect more money will be offerd if they move forward on the plans. Using our own money to control us.
I guarantee you we can’t even guess how bad it’s gonna get. What do I always say about bullies???

Eagle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the reason why you don't live in a city. Cities are the first to criticize rural areas for pollution and globle warming, but in reality its Cities. There never is a word when cities want to do big infrastructure projects, but if anywhere else you want to build something its under a microscope. Edmonton has become WOKE sh.thole. $ 200,000,000 in bike lanes when your hospitals and schools are overflowing unreal. People in edmonton are brain washed. I will take my house out in the country any day over a city. Good luck Edmonton your going to need it!!

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been thinkng about this....I can't see these districts having much in the way of independent business. I suspect each district will have a Walmart, Costco, Home Depot and Pet Smart. Great opportunites for the mega corps to have captive consumers. Retail space will be very expensive and only the mega corps will be able to outbid all others for that space. Gross

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's more related to public transit from my understanding, Edmonton is already pretty compartmentalized for most services and retailers. The whole premise is to allow that 15 minute city to be accessed of you don't own a vehicle.

It's more the European model, most cities in Europe people don't own cars, and don't need to, the public transit is cheaper and faster than commuting by car. There's little shops on every street corner, and you don't have to travel far to access the services you need.

Issue for Edmonton is non of these public transit facilities exist. And how do you deal with the commuters that live outside the side but work and shop in Edmonton.

I suspect it'll be more money thrown away to achieve almost nothing.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The City of Calgary just announced they are spending $70 million for changing Olympic plaza, the park across from City Hall to an "Art" park (so they have a nice fresh view from their Cty Hall offices). Meanwhile they are saying they don't have enough money to fix potholes and are robbing budget money from other areas like snow removal. Wait until we get another real winter. Our property taxes have gone through the roof yet there is not enough money??

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
MAybe, just maybe they should rebrand.

No need to use the words 15min city.

Just say we are building more public transit if thats what they are doing.

But no, lets us all these WEF buzz words to piss people off

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they actually stopped cutting the grass in edmonton, not in the budget. City really starts to look like hell mid summer. cant clear the snow, cant fix the roads, cant mow the grass

what exactly are they doing one must wonder?
Yet they'll probably fine the homeowners that don't cut their grass or shovel their walks.
Always a double standard

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where exactly are 600,000 more people coming to Edmonton from i wonder?

Oilers fans must be having lots of children?

Monkeys love to have children in groups of ten, goes good with the gangsta gang mentality. Why do they need public transit? Don’t they swing from tree to tree to get around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone catch that city council guy defending the 15 min district idea, stating Edmonton isn't a "winter city" hence cycling or walking 12 months a year is practical. His basis was last year there were less than 10 days below -20 so it's not a "winter city". Where do they find these imbeciles?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where exactly are 600,000 more people coming to Edmonton from i wonder?

Oilers fans must be having lots of children?
Funny the reporter mentions students being involved in the discussion. phuk them, most don't pay property taxes or work. Once they get a job and a house then they can have a say.

Top Bottom