Summit Track Length?

wombat440

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I am looking at buying a 09 or 10 Summit 800. I am about 6'4" and the better part of 285lbs. I don't have much riding experience. Mostly on some old Cat 440s and mostly on the trails. I would probably ride my new machine 50% trail, 50% mountains. Any suggestions on which track length I should go with? Does my weight have any bearing on the size of track I should get?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
hi everyone

i am looking at buying a 09 or 10 summit 800. I am about 6'4" and the better part of 285lbs. I don't have much riding experience. Mostly on some old cat 440s and mostly on the trails. I would probably ride my new machine 50% trail, 50% mountains. Any suggestions on which track length i should go with? Does my weight have any bearing on the size of track i should get?

i would suggest the 163" track on the xp, just because of your size and weight...... The bigger track will have less pounds per square inch, and will help you and the sled in flotation in deeper snow, or climbing..... I'm fairly big too at 6'2" and almost 240lbs and i ride the 162" rt1000 -- when i jump on the 151" 800 i can really feel it sinking in deeper snow....

800polaris

Reaction score
maybe a summit isnt the way to go, being is that its a 100% mountain sled. Have you thought of maybe a skidoo TNT o a cat crossfire, both great sleds. Track lenth depends mostly on where u spend most of your time. Too much track like a 62 or 63 will push your sled on the trails making turng more difficult. AC crossfire make a 144 1 1/2 '' that is great for both, same as skidoo. Just something to ponder, on the other hand, too short will not grab in the deep pow like the 62 or 63's will. Track lenth has nothing to do with weight.:beer:

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your doing half and half get the 162ish length. I'd way rather have to make do with a long sled on the trails than have to fight a short sled in the mountains. You being a bigger guy will appreciate the longer track after one trip in December pow.

polaris_killer

Reaction score
Website
www.bowridgesports.com
Check out a Skidoo Renegade Backcountry- great 50/50 sled with a 137x1.75 track, just make sure you get your suspension set for your weight. If you are doing more mountain riding then go with the 163 summit- same thing get your suspension set up for your weight

wombat440

Reaction score
I want the Mountain Sled for Sure! Plan on going to McBride lots this winter. It's only an hour or so away. Plus there are places to ride closer to home as well. Trails out the backyard. I'm thinking the 154 for sure now. But maybe I should upgrade to the 163. I don't mind slowing down for corners on the trails. Usually just heading out to have a cold one at the end of the lake. I hate digging those things out when I'm in the mountains though!

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the 163 will be good in deeper snow for your size. But, are you going to need the extra track if you are still doing 50/50. You can always get around grabbing back on some others tracks if it is deeper. But in the spring or heavier set up snow it is much harder to maneuver around. I think that maybe starting out and get used to the sled you should still go with 154. Then you may outgrow it and get a 163. I have a 163 XP and a 151 Rev. I am finding more and more I am taking the 151 first unless I am leading everyone. Just my 0.02.

wombat440

Reaction score
I'm going to the dealer tomorrow, think I'll stick to the 154, sounds like it's the best overall option. Going to add in a heavier Spring in the rear. I read somewhere that the Factory spring is only rated for 175lbs, I exceed that by a couple of pounds! Also going to get some scratchers, a cover, and maybe a can. Anyone have thoughts on anything else I should throw into the purchase since I'm going into debt anyways, might as well go in deep!

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes springs is a much needed requirement.
You will not be dissapointed with a can. It saves some weight on the machine and makes you sound like a average sledder.
Gas can for the back.
Gauge package for temps, etc may be something that you may want to look at or consider at this point.
Muff Pot if you like to have hot meals on the hill.
Have you already purchased your avalanche equipment?:):)

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive got the the 154 its great for all around ridding,if you really like climbing and thats what you go for then 163 is the way to go,I like boondockin and exploring so I like the shorter track and it climbes were I wanna go.I would get a bellypan cover forsure,gas can and Aarm protectors

wombat440

Reaction score
The dealer hasn't worked out the prices yet with all of the potential options. Maybe by the end of the week. Just trying to figure out how much more gear I get buy to basically have the sled and me ready to ride when the snow finally starts to dump. I noticed on Sledshot.com that the guys from Golden went out on the 7th.

I'm going to get the smaller skid plate that goes mainly down the middle but doesn't cover the A arms as much. Apparently the larger skid plate fills with snow. I'm also going to get the bumper put on that I can tow someone with. I don't understand why all mountain sleds don't come stock with the bumper that you can tow with. I'm I suppose to leave my buddies sled up in the hills if he breaks down? Just an instant upgrade scam if you ask me.

Any suggestions on Avy gear?

sledhead5000

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.pdotsledding.com
The wider skid plate helps with floatation in the powder... everything jams full of snow so a little extra around the A arm's won't hurt much until you thaw the sled out in the garage after and need a mop!

Top Bottom