snow conditions

Barry Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been riding the mountains for 7yrs now and one thing I have found is that u can never find out snow conditions our snow depth at the beginning of the season or during the season. Last year I was up their 7 times and the only way I could find out snow conditions was to talk to different guys at the bar or at the hot tub. I usually ride in Mcbride, Valemont and blue river areas and when I've tryed to find out snow conditions their is know information available and this is every where u go in the mountains. You would think that the lockal businesses would have a web sight or be on the snow and mud to help us sledders on what the snow conditions are because I Know that we spend a lot of money in different areas and that a lot of these towns would be dead if not for us sledders. So if the towns would like to have their towns and businesses even bussier is to have someone help use sledders with this information.
thanks Barry

Orrin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check right here on S&M there are consistent updates, and even if somebody hasn't updated a thread for a given area recently if you ask they certainly will. Blue Jewel for example is great at updating conditions at Blue River regularly.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check area sub forums on this site, usually losts of info and usually photo's

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
im confused? check the valemount updates section/mcbride updates section?

me and curtis and hundreds of others post photos weekly and update the conditions.

curtis from varda also takes snow depth measurements and digs snow pits and gives us the results weekly.

there is also a snow report/grooming report put out by varda on the weekends which is availble every morning at almost every gas/food/hotel in valemount.

Valemount Updates

Mcbride Updates

Last edited:

Roy Maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been riding the mountains for 7yrs now and one thing I have found is that u can never find out snow conditions our snow depth at the beginning of the season or during the season. Last year I was up their 7 times and the only way I could find out snow conditions was to talk to different guys at the bar or at the hot tub. I usually ride in Mcbride, Valemont and blue river areas and when I've tryed to find out snow conditions their is know information available and this is every where u go in the mountains. You would think that the lockal businesses would have a web sight or be on the snow and mud to help us sledders on what the snow conditions are because I Know that we spend a lot of money in different areas and that a lot of these towns would be dead if not for us sledders. So if the towns would like to have their towns and businesses even bussier is to have someone help use sledders with this information.
thanks Barry

Was buying some cedar fencing from Gerry Smith at Cedar3 Products just north of McBride a week or so ago. He is an avid back country skier and sledder and told me about an awesome website that is updated by
heli-skiers, back country skiers and has BC Government data and he says it gives you extremely good detail even has snow forecasting (apparently the Cariboos south of McBride are going to get all the snow this year). Unfortunately I did not write down the web site address and my memory is sketchy at best. Something like "snowforecasting" in the address. Give Gerry a call at 250-569-0354 or email him at cedar3products@gmail.com. I am sure he or someone else on Snow and Mud can get you that address.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks Barry

wow, you're special, thanks for keeping the towns alive! haha, dude you are not trying to hard if you can't find the snow conditions. :rant:

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Guest101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull your probe and shovel out of your bag and probe around, see what you find for snow depth. Dig a pit and have a look at the snow depth and layers. All things you should be doing everyday when you head out into the mountains anyway. This should give you an accurate snow depth measurement and a good idea of what is going on with snow conditions.:):beer:

4x4racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Latest Bulletins : Bulletins : Canadian Avalanche Centre : avalanche.ca

has a good app for smart phones

Top Bottom