School me

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a unit.
Not really much of an atv'er, but since most of my friends own one and I can't seem to convince them to get into bikes, I was thinking I would join the party. It will be mostly casual riding on fsr's and trails. Although I love turbo sleds, I don't foresee my riding style on atvs being overly 'spirtited'. We have some 90's era Formans and Pioneer 1000's at work that I'm quite familiar with. I like not having the cvt, and have been impressed with their durability, so I've been looking at Hondas. Don't want a fixer upper. $5k seems to be the bare minimum to get something in ok shape. I'm finding deals for $8-10k'ish on Rubicons, which are significantly newer and better? Appears the newer I go, the better the value in the used market. The newer liquid cooled and efi models seem to be just as reliable as the old stuff, and you get a few more hp. I think I'd prefer the foot shift, but don't mind the idea of the dct.
I know Hondas are the slugs of the market, but are they really that bad? I hear they ride like ch!t too, but the IRS of the Rubi's are a significant improvement. I know the Can-ams are the top performers, but I don't think I like the sport enough to drop $20k. I won't be buying a Polaris. I don't hear good things about Cats. I hear Grizzlies are on par with Honda for reliability and their cvt is top notch.
Any suggestions?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking at buying a unit.
Not really much of an atv'er, but since most of my friends own one and I can't seem to convince them to get into bikes, I was thinking I would join the party. It will be mostly casual riding on fsr's and trails. Although I love turbo sleds, I don't foresee my riding style on atvs being overly 'spirtited'. We have some 90's era Formans and Pioneer 1000's at work that I'm quite familiar with. I like not having the cvt, and have been impressed with their durability, so I've been looking at Hondas. Don't want a fixer upper. $5k seems to be the bare minimum to get something in ok shape. I'm finding deals for $8-10k'ish on Rubicons, which are significantly newer and better? Appears the newer I go, the better the value in the used market. The newer liquid cooled and efi models seem to be just as reliable as the old stuff, and you get a few more hp. I think I'd prefer the foot shift, but don't mind the idea of the dct.
I know Hondas are the slugs of the market, but are they really that bad? I hear they ride like ch!t too, but the IRS of the Rubi's are a significant improvement. I know the Can-ams are the top performers, but I don't think I like the sport enough to drop $20k. I won't be buying a Polaris. I don't hear good things about Cats. I hear Grizzlies are on par with Honda for reliability and their cvt is top notch.
Any suggestions?
Can’t go wrong with the Yamaha or a Honda. Straight axle Hondas will beat the kidneys out of a older person. My wife had a Rincon, which was a great quad for a bit, but it was really wide. Shes short so standing up was a problem. Some of the hydrostat Hondas don’t have engine breaking for me is not a problem, but my wife really missed it.

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have two older cats, ‘03 500 and ‘09 1000. Both IRS. Both used on the farm and hunting in the mountains. Other than CV boots and plastic repairs, they have been flawless…
I’ve ridden others… Polaris, Canam, Yamaha and Honda. We have a Honda at work that I have used lots over the years.
For the money spent and piss poor reliability, Canam is at the bottom of the pile. The Honda was solid, but thats also how it rode even though its also IRS.
Polaris was a great performer but buddies always seem to be fixing. I would also recommend a Yamaha back to when they introduced power steering.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, I have a really good deal lined up on a 2023 Rubicon that is just too good to pass up. I have no doubt it will run like a Honda. My only reluctance is if the whopping 30hp will tickle my sphincter or not.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No 30 hp isnt going to be fun at all. But it wont let you down.

If you want fun get a can am.

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am a polaris guy. this is ranch country. after working on all makes and models i would look at a suzuki king quad 700. there are quite a few around here and the only time i see one is for an oil change. can am, polaris and cat are high maintenance. e shift hondas are a problem. newer yammis are braking frames. the zuk's seem pretty solid.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am a polaris guy. this is ranch country. after working on all makes and models i would look at a suzuki king quad 700. there are quite a few around here and the only time i see one is for an oil change. can am, polaris and cat are high maintenance. e shift hondas are a problem. newer yammis are braking frames. the zuk's seem pretty solid.
Interesting hadn't heard about yamaha frames any specific spots?

Rhodesie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I lied. I have two here right now. When someone tells me their grizz 700 is jumping out of gear this is the first place i look.

Attachments

• IMG_4236.jpeg
    IMG_4236.jpeg
    271.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4237.jpeg
    IMG_4237.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4238.jpeg
    IMG_4238.jpeg
    354.5 KB · Views: 72

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are running winter trails with any snow, you don't want a manual shift transmission. Need a CVT to get any momentum and get through stuff.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the advice. I picked up a 2023 Rubicon DCT. Newer than I what I had been previously looking at and Honda red wasn't my first choice. I wasn't even sure I was going to buy anything at all, but the price and was just too good to pass up. Forestry trade-in. Plastics, wheels, skid plates were all removed new and re-installed at trade in. Serviced and ready to go. They have 27 more of them if anyone is interested.

On a side note. The number of "dealer" ads that only list weekly payments is nauseating. No purchase price or details about that specific unit in the ad. I tried to reach out to a few, but they're just a bunch of dickbags if you're not financing. Obvious where the profit is.

Huh, I never really considered Suzuki, good to know. Turns out the little boat shop down the road is a dealer. Who knew?

If you are running winter trails with any snow, you don't want a manual shift transmission. Need a CVT to get any momentum and get through stuff.
I have sleds for that.

IMG_1958.jpeg

Toyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They take it off and run cheap aftermarket plastics so they can put the original plastic back on to sell it. Makes it look mint. Likely surveyors high mileage units.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Forest service trade ins. For what use, I’m not sure. Firefighting or tree planting perhaps? They’re been gone over and serviced.
This one has 2000km. High mileage for the age? Yes, but the price reflects it and not high enough to be a concern for me.
In my area at least, for the same price, you get a 5-8 year old unit with the same mileage. And it’s not a matter of pulling a wrap off either. The plastics, bumpers, racks, skid plates, lights seat and wheels/tires are brand new. New as in the factory shipping plastic was still on them. Also, the seller is a well known dealer that many on here do business with.
It is what it is. I wasn’t shopping for new. There was no deception or implication that it was anything it isn’t.

Last edited:
Top Bottom