Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
August 6, 2024 by Adam Malik

Rising costs prompt Canadians to rethink vehicle ownership​

Image credit: Depositphotos.com
With the rising cost of living impacting Canadians’ ability to afford transportation, a recent survey found significant shifts in consumer behaviour and preferences in the automotive market.

A recent Léger survey commissioned by Toyota Canada found that 59 per cent of Canadians find vehicle ownership less financially achievable today compared to their parents’ generation. This sentiment is even stronger in British Columbia, where over two-thirds of respondents feel the financial pressure acutely.

As a result, 66 per cent of Canadians have changed their approach to vehicle ownership in the past year, opting to delay purchasing new vehicles (31 per cent) or choosing used vehicles instead (27 per cent). Younger drivers, aged 18-34, are particularly impacted, with 31 per cent preferring used vehicles, compared to 23 per cent of those aged 55 and older.

“At a time when Canadians are grappling with financial pressures, how to best spend their automotive dollars for long-term value becomes even more important,” said Stephen Beatty, vice president of corporate at Toyota Canada. “This decision goes beyond the new car purchase to consider operating and maintenance costs as well as resale value down the road.”

In response to these findings, Beatty emphasizes the importance of automakers focusing on delivering high value throughout the ownership lifecycle.

Furthermore, most (56 per cent) of Canadians are addressing affordability concerns by either cancelling or delaying at least one major purchase. The most affected areas include travel (34 per cent), personal vehicles (21 per cent), and home renovations (20 per cent). Alberta (66 per cent), Manitoba and Saskatchewan (61 per cent), and British Columbia (58 per cent), report the highest percentages of delayed purchases.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess it all depends on where you live and what you do for fun.
If you live in the city (downtown core). And work nearby. And your vacations don't require driving. I can see why you wouldn't want to own a vehicle. Rent if you really need one or rely on public transportation.

But living in the country. You need a vehicle. Heck even a back up vehicle if something happens to your main.

I don't think I could ever afford to buy a new vehicle again, myself.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe peoples expectations have changed? Vehicles are definitely more expensive, but it seems a lot of people are reluctant to buy older used vehicles.

There's almost 1800 cars for sale within 150km of Edmonton for less than $5000. If you can't scratch up $5k for a vehicle purchase you have bigger issues.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe peoples expectations have changed? Vehicles are definitely more expensive, but it seems a lot of people are reluctant to buy older used vehicles.

There's almost 1800 cars for sale within 150km of Edmonton for less than $5000. If you can't scratch up $5k for a vehicle purchase you have bigger issues.
They could fear the maintenance costs or being Nickle and dimed to death. A lot of people are not mechanically inclined and newer vehicles are not as easy to work on.
I'm lazy. If I think it's going to be too hard or too much of a hassle. I'm fortunate enough to pay someone else to deal with it.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can buy a brand new honda civic for 30g. Lot of other cheap cars im sure

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They could fear the maintenance costs or being Nickle and dimed to death. A lot of people are not mechanically inclined and newer vehicles are not as easy to work on.
I'm lazy. If I think it's going to be too hard or too much of a hassle. I'm fortunate enough to pay someone else to deal with it.

I get that, but with the age of the internet and YouTube access to repair information is easier than ever. Short of the expense of owning a scan tool to diagnose engine lights and DTC's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no rush to go out and dump $110k on a new truck or a $70k SUV for the wife, but if a person can manage to keep that vehicle for 10 years that annuallized cost becomes a lot smaller.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get that, but with the age of the internet and YouTube access to repair information is easier than ever. Short of the expense of owning a scan tool to diagnose engine lights and DTC's.

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no rush to go out and dump $110k on a new truck or a $70k SUV for the wife, but if a person can manage to keep that vehicle for 10 years that annuallized cost becomes a lot smaller.
I agree with that. You Tube has saved my ass many of times when trying to do stuff on my vehicles.

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alot of people simply cannot even change a flat tire and will wait hours for AMA😆

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20240811_083444_Instagram.jpg

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate too say this but I could retire auto-less after cranking away on pedal bikes year round... standard Pedal bike,,, ebike,,, e trike,,, a fat tire e-quad with dual battery... lol
20240113_154413.jpg

If i need the city i can take a bus or catch a ride,,, if its distance beyond i can fly and rent a suv...

Not owning a car saves a person ruffly $5000 ish thousand right off the bat...

Tires,,, brakes,,, registration,,, insurance,,, general maintenance,,, the unexpected breakdown,,, bla bla bla...

There were lots of folks in my day growing up that commuted by horse,,, wagon and pedal bike,,, and walking,,, its just the way it was back then...

Need too move stuff from location too location they used a small 4 wheel wagon or slay ,,, today they call them pack-carts... pull behind or push...

They have tow-able wagons and carts for pedal-bikes now...
Call a friend if I need a truck or rent one...

Id most likely live in a town or city that has it all,,, hopefully along the edges of Crown land too go hunting and fishing,,, most definitely lawn chair time..

There are those that need transportation and there are those that can get by without...

Having transportation is handy and comes at a cost,,, i guess it depends on how much transportation one needs...

I don't know since I haven't got there yet...

AirNorth1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www3.telus.net
I had a phobia about computer generated check engine lights until I bought an old Volvo.
Now the service techs have been replaced with a crescent wrench.

Last edited:

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hate too say this but I could retire auto-less after cranking away on pedal bikes year round... standard Pedal bike,,, ebike,,, e trike,,, a fat tire e-quad with dual battery... lol
View attachment 286266

If i need the city i can take a bus or catch a ride,,, if its distance beyond i can fly and rent a suv...

Not owning a car saves a person ruffly $5000 ish thousand right off the bat...

Tires,,, brakes,,, registration,,, insurance,,, general maintenance,,, the unexpected breakdown,,, bla bla bla...

There were lots of folks in my day growing up that commuted by horse,,, wagon and pedal bike,,, and walking,,, its just the way it was back then...

Need too move stuff from location too location they used a small 4 wheel wagon or slay ,,, today they call them pack-carts... pull behind or push...

They have tow-able wagons and carts for pedal-bikes now...
Call a friend if I need a truck or rent one...

Id most likely live in a town or city that has it all,,, hopefully along the edges of Crown land too go hunting and fishing,,, most definitely lawn chair time..

There are those that need transportation and there are those that can get by without...

Having transportation is handy and comes at a cost,,, i guess it depends on how much transportation one needs...

I don't know since I haven't got there yet...

To be honest I enjoyed not having a vehicle when we were in Europe last summer, granted public transit there is way better, but it was nice just having a bag full of belongings and a small backpack for day outings. Not having to worry about parking or any of the other stuff that goes along with a vehicle.

Now I wouldn't want that for a second here in Canada, especially Alberta, but I do now understand the mentality of some people that have no desire to own a car.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
To be honest I enjoyed not having a vehicle when we were in Europe last summer, granted public transit there is way better, but it was nice just having a bag full of belongings and a small backpack for day outings. Not having to worry about parking or any of the other stuff that goes along with a vehicle.

Now I wouldn't want that for a second here in Canada, especially Alberta, but I do now understand the mentality of some people that have no desire to own a car.
If you have no desire to leave your 15 minute city, you don't need a vehicle.

Top Bottom