Reptiles or Dirt Tamers

NewfieX2

Reaction score
I am upgrading the tires on my Polaris 500 X2. I am looking at Dirt Tamers by CGB and the swamplite reptiles. I am going up to 26's. has anyone used these tires or known anyone that used them. Or is ther any other recommendations on a tire. I am riding in Newfoundland, lots of bog, and LOTS of rock. Also they have to be a comfortable ride for two passengers.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Reptile tires are more expensive, but they are a radial tire. The tread is similar to the Swamp Lites - I sold my mom a set of Swamp Lites and on her little 400 Eiger she could go anywhere the boys could go and almost never got stuck. The Swamp Lites are good in skag, in snow and on the trails, all around a great tire. As for the Reptiles - they are fairly new and I haven't heard much feedback about them yet - but being made by the same guys as the SL and similar tread I would venture a bet to say they are probably a better tire....

I have never sold a set of dirt tamers? So i can't say much about them, other than they are cheaper - but not radial.

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How are 6 ply Radials for riding in rocky areas? Would they be too flexable or puncture easily? The reptiles are cheaper than the tamers.

I think the radials would be better, they have a flat side wall instead of a rounder one like the non-radials.

Where are you looking that the dirt tamers are more expensive?? They aren't radials, so they are cheaper from all of my suppliers.
In my catalogue these are the prices,
Reptiles:
26X9-12 = $ 175.99
26X11-12 = $ 207.85

Dirt Tamers:
26X9-12 = $138.99
26X12-12 = $137.99

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd go with the Repriles like the others have suggested.

I have a set of 27 inch Dirt Tamers on my bike & my younger Bro has 26 inch Reptiles on his. He loves the ride (his is a 2 up Can Am), they have performed well in all types of terrain & they are a radial.

I like my Dirt Tamers a lot, but I think the Reptiles will do better in light mud & moderate snow. And they are a bias tire. If that is a consideration. I've never had a radial, but if I can wear my DT's outs ... I'm gonna get some Reptiles ... or GBC Grim Reapers .... :d

One note about the Reptiles ... they run small. My brother bought 26's & they measure 25 inches. So if ya want 26 inch tall tires, buy the 27's.

Top Bottom