Petro Canada Winter Gas

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rarely fill up at Petro Canada however the last 2 tanks I filled were with Petro Canadas Premium grade "Winter Gas". My gas mileage was horrible so I did some nosing around to see if it was the truck or what. Turns out many people are seeing horrible mileage using "Winter Gas".

Filled with Shell yesterday and mileage is back where it should be.

Just a heads up.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I rarely fill up at Petro Canada however the last 2 tanks I filled were with Petro Canadas Premium grade "Winter Gas". My gas mileage was horrible so I did some nosing around to see if it was the truck or what. Turns out many people are seeing horrible mileage using "Winter Gas".

Just a heads up.

and you are driving a ???? with what motor ?????

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Just a heads up.

petro can has crappy gas year round

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
why do they call it winter gas... what have they done to make it "winter gas"

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Zrrrrrrrrr......... It's your flex fuel vehicle;)

i run nothing but, and have never had a problem with the gas, or diesel..... Actually the p/c diesel works better than the shell "gold" diesel i found out once..... Never use it again:(

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a chance to nose around the net a bit more. Seems it might be vehicle specific. Nissan products do not like Petro Can premium Winter Gas with Tactrol. Nor do others, right down to Mini's. However some other vehicle types/brands do well on it, but poor on say Shell or Esso.

Very interesting!

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
had a chance to nose around the net a bit more. Seems it might be vehicle specific. Nissan products do not like petro can premium winter gas with tactrol. Nor do thers, right down to mini's. However some other vehicle types/brands do well on it, but poor on say shell or esso.

Very interesting!

tactrol is an excellent additive, and i've heard some vehicles don't like the cleaning capabilities of the tactrol, in the sensors........ Mostly the mass airflow sensor(mafs) like on your nissan........

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tactrol is an excellent additive, and i've heard some vehicles don't like the cleaning capabilities of the tactrol, in the sensors........ Mostly the mass airflow sensor(mafs) like on your nissan........

so that explains a bit as to why the fords dont like shell

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use Petro in all my vehicles and have never had a problem. The only problem I have ever had with fuel at a station was Shell when they were gumming up the fuel gauge floats and injectors, havent used it since.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I use Petro in all my vehicles and have never had a problem. The only problem I have ever had with fuel at a station was Shell when they were gumming up the fuel gauge floats and injectors, havent used it since.

YA, SHELL HAD QUITE THE PROBLEM FOR A WHILE...... WE REPLACED/REPAIRED LOTS OF THE FUEL SENDING UNITS ON VEHICLES FOR THEM TOO, BECAUSE OF THAT "SPECIAL" ADDITIVE THEY FORMULATED:eek:

Phyer Phyter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it has more to do with your Flex Fuel vehicle. I had a flex fuel vehicle for a short period a few years back and in the manual it said that Flex Fuel vehicles will experience poorer fuel economy. Also stated that flex fuels may cost more but played on the environmental benifits. When I read that I thought why would I use a fuel that costs more and gives poorer fuel milage.

As far as Mass Air Flow sensors I cant see how that would affect different fuels. The MAF is in front of your intake, after your air filter. It only measures the volume of air going into your engine.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats what I was going to say, the fuel doesnt flow past the MAF:d

The shell on 127st NW just south of 156 ave has been selling premium at base rate, due to there pumps being giant piles of crap. I've been fillin up everything i own and every container I can find, the wife was wondering why I was leaving the house with all the tupperware i could find and the crock pot.:d

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
as far as mass air flow sensors i cant see how that would affect different fuels. The maf is in front of your intake, after your air filter. It only measures the volume of air going into your engine.

i'm with you on the "is it better for the environment" thing.....especially if the mileage really isn't any better, if not worse, then why use more fuel just to benefit the exhaust emmisions. In the long run, it would pretty much even out a flex fuel with regular fuel if the regular fueled vehicle got better gas mileage......

With the mass airflow sensor.........fumes collected in the intake system, mainly when engine is "off", seems to collect on the mafs "hair wire - sensor", through some kind of chemical reaction??...... If it didn't, we'd never need to clean the mafs, but the reality is, they all gum up, sooner or later...... Also the throttle bodies gum up with the same type residues, and they also just meter air(in most cases) and also require cleaning

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually Summtric, while your here, how often or is it bad to clean the maf often, basically on my 09 gm half, I have an airaid intake and i clean the filter every month or eariler if Im driving on a lot of gravel, everytime I have the filter off I give the maf a spray of maf cleaner and let it dry while the filter is drying, will this hurt it in time or not?

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm with you on the "is it better for the environment" thing.....especially if the mileage really isn't any better, if not worse, then why use more fuel just to benefit the exhaust emmisions. In the long run, it would pretty much even out a flex fuel with regular fuel if the regular fueled vehicle got better gas mileage......

With the mass airflow sensor.........fumes collected in the intake system, mainly when engine is "off", seems to collect on the mafs "hair wire - sensor", through some kind of chemical reaction??...... If it didn't, we'd never need to clean the mafs, but the reality is, they all gum up, sooner or later...... Also the throttle bodies gum up with the same type residues, and they also just meter air(in most cases) and also require cleaning

also picks up from the pcv inlet and no it doesnt hurt to clean maff off

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
actually summtric, while your here, how often or is it bad to clean the maf often, basically on my 09 gm half, i have an airaid intake and i clean the filter every month or eariler if im driving on a lot of gravel, everytime i have the filter off i give the maf a spray of maf cleaner and let it dry while the filter is drying, will this hurt it in time or not?

yup, what polarice said...... Won't hurt it, if anything helps it with better readings

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only way my vehicle being Flex Fuel would hurt my mileage is if I was using Ethanol based fuels. I do not touch the stuff.

Clean my MAF often as well. Does make a difference!

Interesting input in this thread. I might need to experiment with all the fuel suppliers now to see which gives me the best mileage.

Who knew there would be such a difference based on the type of vehicle you drive.

Thanks for your insights Ric.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife's 2001 ford windstar really likes the Costco fuel,.. and so did my 2006 hemi pickup. When they first set up shop up here I emailed corporate and I believe they said Husky/Mohawk supplies their fuel, and it does NOT contain the crap that the Husky/Mohawk stations advertise or show on their pumps.

I get my diesel at the no frills/superstore outlets.

Top Bottom