Oil in crank of engine?? 600 Polaris triple.

PEIdirt

Reaction score
Borden-Carleton, Prince Edward Island, Canada
Hey there,
I was wondering if oil in the bottom end of a 600 triple is supposed to be there? I know that the crank gets it lube from the mixed gas, but there seems to be an excessive amount of oil down there. Should I drain it out or will it not hurt anything? If I do drain it out, is there a plug on the bottom of the engine to drain it?
Also, what would the tourque specs be for the heads on this machine?

Thanks,
Joey

PEIdirt

Reaction score
Sorry, it is a 1995 and yes, the gas was mixed last year and the injection still hooked up. But, it was just rebuilt and the fella who rebuilt it is the one who noticed the oil while it was apart, he is also not the one who owned it when she blew, so I don't know if the previous owner mixed the gas as well or not. I am a little confused, I hope you followed that.LOL.

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
unfotuneatley I would say to scrap it and for the cost get a useed sled..

Brad62

Reaction score
Did it just get run for the first time this year. If so then the guy before you probabaly put a little oil in the plugs to store it for the summer, this would get to the crankcase. There shouldn't be a lot of oil there but should be some. There are case drain plugs in the bottom half under the exhaust ports. Three plugs. 10mm wrench. I forget if the oil pump drove off of the crank on those engines. If it does there should be some oil in the cavity where the gears run off the crank.

PEIdirt

Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for the advise and the machine was sitting for a couple of years so that is most likely where the oil came from. So those drain plugs are to let out oil?? I took one out and all I got was antifreeze!! It was nice and green with no hint of oil in it, but perhaps I should re-investigate and if that is the case, it would be better off to take blastoff's advice and junk 'er.
Thanks again all,

Joey

Brad62

Reaction score
If the case was full of coolant it wouldn't run at all. The case drains are hard to get at and are near the bottom of the case. they are to let the gas out of the case if it gets flooded real bad.

Top Bottom