Oil Field Operators

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heys guys,
Coming up on 20yrs in the Military and looking at starting a new job. Would like to know if there are any Oilfield Operators in the Cold Lake, Bonnyville area that can give me some input?
I've been in Cold Lake now for 19yrs & would like to work out of the local area.
Any links for companies or names of friends I can get in touch with would be great.

Mark

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heys guys,
Coming up on 20yrs in the Military and looking at starting a new job. Would like to know if there are any Oilfield Operators in the Cold Lake, Bonnyville area that can give me some input?
I've been in Cold Lake now for 19yrs & would like to work out of the local area.
Any links for companies or names of friends I can get in touch with would be great.

Mark

Hi Mark...sent you a PM....BADSS

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know Cenovus's Fox Creek plant will be expanding soon. They've hired a few guys in preparation for this, but will likely need more as the time goes for sure. Keep an eye out on their website or stop by their office in Cold Lake even. CNRL is usually always looking for operators around there too. OSUM is suppose to be starting up a new project/plant shortly as well out that way. I'm not exactly sure as to when they'll be looking for operators though. Not too sure about the others.

If you're wanting to do contract operating, Sure Flow out of Bonnyville has guys in almost all of the SAGD sites I believe.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to the Oilfiled accornyms. What are SAGD sites?
Very mechanically inclinded. Been an Eng Tech on the CF-18 for my whole carreer and now am an Instructor for the new students. Not sure I really want to go back to school for training or would like to find a hands on job where you learn as you go. Field experience.
Lots of Military guys jumping on Power Engineering but thats not what I want to get into.

Last edited:

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to the Oilfiled accornyms. What are SAGD sites?

SAGD = Steam assisted gravity drainage

Thats why the other guys are getting into the power engineering, the companies want at-least, a minimum of 4th class preferring 3rd class with the math skills to advance further.

I think these jobs along with high pressure sour gas/gas well operators will be regulated soon. On the job training won't prepare you for any sort of government exam to prove competency. The way things are going, 1 highly publicized accident/spill could bring in regulation/certification pretty quickly.

I would recommend retraining, particularly if the military is funding you.

If a company was to train you on a 15-20 well daily run thats good, but what if you decide to move ? Sure you were good at that run, but now you move to an area that has completely different wells, light oil, heavy crude, sour, sweet, high pressure gas, low pressure, steam assisted, pump jacks, lift pumps, etc,etc.

If you think you will be staying in Cold Lake, the power engineering ticket is the way to go IMO.

Culvert

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I'm just looking at the online Distance Learning courses from Nait.
Think I will give some companies a call and see what training they recommend. And sign up for the Gas/Oil Field Operators course.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I know the oil is all around me but dont know much about what all is out there for different jobs. Other than what friends have left the Militray to do.

Last edited:

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually I'm just looking at the online Distance Learning courses from Nait.
Think I will give some companies a call and see what training they recommend. And sign up for the Gas/Oil Field Operators course.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I know the oil is all around me but dont know much about what all is out there for different jobs. Other than what friends have left the Militray to do.

I bought, reviewed, and returned both NAIT and SAIT's course offerings.

I liked SAIT's online course much more but still returned it as it was apparent online learning wasn't for me. Oddly I score very high in reading comprehension testing but I felt like I was retaining little.

I'll say again, if you have or can get the math skills and plan on living around Cold Lake, Power Engineering would be the course to take.

My understanding is that there is little conventional gas over there, it doesn't matter, the heavy oil is what will be developed.

Shale gas, heavy oil and oil sands is where the money for development is going.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cenovus Energy - lots of scheduled expansion at Christina Lake site also.

When I was at the Fort McMurray Oilsands show last week they had an employment booth there - check out the website and give them a call. Mention they had a hiring booth at the Oilsands show and get transferred through to one of those guys. Good place to start.

badss

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cenovus Energy - lots of scheduled expansion at Christina Lake site also.

When I was at the Fort McMurray Oilsands show last week they had an employment booth there - check out the website and give them a call. Mention they had a hiring booth at the Oilsands show and get transferred through to one of those guys. Good place to start.

So Haggis...you and Mustang dude survived did ya???!!! lol

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i hope im not hijacking your thread Culvert but im a non military guy who did 2 years in the middle east mechanic that is looking for another trade(hands are done) again if i get go @#$% myself i understand

this read like im a douche but i gotta shoot at it

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So Haggis...you and Mustang dude survived did ya???!!! lol

Yeah - way better show for him than for me. We are taking the dog and pony show to Calgary this coming week - International Pipeline Expo. Mustang dude and I had a good laugh in Fort Mac so hopefully this show will be the same.

Top Bottom