new beacon

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have an s o s beacon and me and the guy's are looking to upgrade what do you recomend and how pricy are they. thanx Eric

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ebay, i bought my BCA Tracker last year $300 shipped to my door and i've seen better deals this year. So i saved about $80

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just took avy course with Lori from Zactracs, she had a good selection of beacons for us to look at and try. I liked the Pulse Barryvox by Mammut. I'll probably upgrade to this from my SOS. Not sure on price yet, but think its in the $500 range.

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to pick up a beacon at the sled show. What does everyone think of the Pieps DSP?

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the two i am looking at are the barryvox pulse going for 450, and the orthovox s1 going for around 535

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Powderchowder has the pieps DSP and its really easy to use and it not only tracks mulitple burials but it displays them. I've never had to use any beacon but when we practice, the digital ones "seem" very user friendly. I got frustrated with the SOS beacon and i was looking for a buried beacon, not a friend so that made my choice pretty easy.

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have an s o s beacon and me and the guy's are looking to upgrade what do you recomend and how pricy are they. thanx Eric

Put an S1 in your hand, you won't want to put it down. Pricer than most I think. Extremely user friendly. Bought 2 last year for my kid and myself. :beer::beer:

femme.fatale.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Were selling BCA avy backpack kits this year at the show... price is right! Check out our booth #31!!

Hope to see you all there =)

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just took avy course with Lori from Zactracs, she had a good selection of beacons for us to look at and try. I liked the Pulse Barryvox by Mammut. I'll probably upgrade to this from my SOS. Not sure on price yet, but think its in the $500 range.

thats the ONLY BEACON TO RUN!!!! shows the puls if someone is living after someone would be under an avy..

we sell them at bowcycle for like just under 500.00

all i can say is after last year. 500$ is worth everypenny for my life and or someone els im riding with.

we have sold 10 to the group of guys we always ride with. that way we all have the same beacon and can see IF! for some reason i have to pull it out who is living, and the guy u are going for!

good luck on the decisino. lots out there for cheaper but...

" what is ur life worth!!!" i sure hope 500$ is in a budget

SLEDJED

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Watch out for the Orthovox S1. Says its a 3 antenna beacon, but after playing with it found the 3rd antenna weak compared to the rest. What does this mean, it doesnt read deep burials well. If someone is more than approx. 70cm down it only works as well as a analog 2 antenna beacon, which is ok but for the money you might aswell get a good 3 antenna digital beacon that works great.

four4all

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm also looking for a beacon.

From what I've read - the Mammut Pulse is by far the top dog - both analog and digital. Hands down the best/easiest. Pricey - but if your buddies are worth it... lol

I saw one at the sled show for $500 - but I see them on EBay for $480US plus 15 for shipping. But - it's a real good deal as it comes w/ a probe and telescopic shovel. (probe goes in shovel)
Of course the downside - dealing w/ Ebay and also not supporting local Canadians.

Good luck!

Taz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I personally have spent many hours practicing single and multiple burials with my SOS and I am comfortable with my abilities and my peep but I have had experience with digital as well and I think they are very good for the less experienced and greatly improve the chance of survival for burial victims.

Top Bottom