need electrician for wiring issue in my kids condo

gasman

Reaction score
the kids were having trouble with an outlet in their kitchen. it wouldn't work unless something was plugged into both outlets. I replaced the outlet and now none of the outlets are working in the kitchen lol. not sure what's going on as I don't have a proper tester and I am suspect of some of the breakers.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the kids were having trouble with an outlet in their kitchen. it wouldn't work unless something was plugged into both outlets. I replaced the outlet and now none of the outlets are working in the kitchen lol. not sure what's going on as I don't have a proper tester and I am suspect of some of the breakers.

Older kitchen outlets are split receptacles .the tab on the brass side of the plug must be split ( red and black wires), otherwise the circuit breaker cannot reset.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
6454cf035299803458725492b0b6dfce.jpg

gasman

Reaction score
I think it was split. It looks like there are 2 live wires going to the socket? this is above my pay grade and need someone to come and troubleshoot. I am starting here as I would rather give my money to a fellow sled head.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like the break out tab on the recepticle was broken on the neutral side. (Silver screws) that is why you had to have something plugged intoboth outlets for them to work9OPen Neutral). when you replaced the outlet you didn't break out the break out tab on the Hot side (brass screws). this would create a dead short phase to phase causing the breaker to trip immediately when you tried to close it. enuse the breaker is open remove the recepticle and break out teh tab on the brass side. and wire it like the drawing on sledn's diagram.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is this condo and how much notice would they need if somebody was available to come

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sounds like the break out tab on the recepticle was broken on the neutral side. (Silver screws) that is why you had to have something plugged intoboth outlets for them to work9OPen Neutral).
Open neutral was the original issue. But not because of the silver tab. It would need to be intact for the 2 appliances to complete the series 240 volt circuit in that situation.

Edison 3 wire. Good thing the 2 loads were close to balanced so they didn’t fry the devices!

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aluminum wires were very short and pigtailed shitty. No neutral made it to the plug. Replacement plug wasn’t split as required. Nothing wrong with aluminum wire, just the shitty terminations.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Open neutral was the original issue. But not because of the silver tab. It would need to be intact for the 2 appliances to complete the series 240 volt circuit in that situation.

Edison 3 wire. Good thing the 2 loads were close to balanced so they didn’t fry the devices!
you are correct, I had a brain fart

Top Bottom