Mountain Mania Saturday Ride Update

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK heres whats up as of tonight. We have some locals that will show us around Quartz area on Saturday. The trail to Quartz will be groomed Friday night. The riders can break into groups based on their riding experience.The upper level can go with the local or do whatever they want. The riders that want to take it a little easier can follow the local that will show us around. Will all depend on weather and snow conditions. As you all know you are yourself responsible to ride at you own risk and to know what you can and can`t handle. We are just like a bunch of guys out for a ride. It is important that you have a riding buddie for the day and keep in contact with him. Avalanches are big in the news right now so you all take extra caution on your choice of where and what you want to take a pull on. It was stated that all riders must have Avalanche equipment and it is your responsibility to have the knowledge on its proper use.Avalanche equipment is available to rent from Snowpeaks rentals in Golden if needed.Friday night will be a fun night but Sat should be the best. I know that SBR has some good prizes and special awards to hand out.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not on the list but hope to go,

Could I suggest everybody who has two way radios bring them? They are a great when we ride dirt and I'm trying to get my sledding buddies to do the same. Prevents a lot of running around, waiting, and possibly worrying.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Agree, our group of four will have them (and always do)
I'm not on the list but hope to go,

Could I suggest everybody who has two way radios bring them? They are a great when we ride dirt and I'm trying to get my sledding buddies to do the same. Prevents a lot of running around, waiting, and possibly worrying.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is there a prize for wanting to be there the most but cant make it LOL!As bunnyman says,Avy risks are high right now which basically means easily triggered by you and your sled.While riding on trails and intimidating areas make sure you leave lots of space between riders.Also while riding to the play areas look around at the mountains for signs of avy's,Wind ,Big Cornices,New snow and small slides.When you get up there find a small steep spot and side hill across it and see what the snow does,usually a good indication is how the snow breaks up.If someone knows how dig a snow pit and explain it to those who dont know what to look for and definatly do a compression test with your shovel,take you about 20 mins total.
Wish you all the best weekend ever!
RIDE SAFE!
catmando!

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we carry radios aswell we need to make sure everyone is on the right channel though.

Probably have to decide this before the ride starts so each group is on the same channel instead of sending confusing messages to others in different groups.

I also agree with what catmando has said. Sounds like it's "slightly" lower risk this weekend, and more prone in heavily forested areas (opposite of what you might think), but it's still a very real threat. I read the bulliten yesterday and they stated strong winds in two different directions which could make for wind loaded slabs difficult to spot..

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
channel 6 sub chan 09 good old 69er
thats what my radio is always set to
where are we riding on sunday, if the sun is out lets go STEEP never been to gorman?
whats the plan only 2 sleeeps left:):D

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
where are we riding on sunday, if the sun is out lets go STEEP never been to gorman?

HEY JOHNI: SUNDAY IS AN OPTIONAL RIDE DAY, AND YUP, I THINK WE WERE KINDA THINKIN' GORMAN TOO......... THINKING ALIKE.... HMMMMMMMMM, LONG LOST BRO'?

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd down for Gorman on Sunday. I like Gorman better then Quartz, but then again Gorman had great visibility when there and Quartz was the shits. The cabin is nice though.

I'm not huge into climbing and highmarking, but Gorman has it's play areas! Avy danger is high though.

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I've been told that you can cross over between Quartz and Lang/Gorman. Maybe we can take a look at this on Saturday and then try it on Sunday...maybe.
See attached map and you can see that it's pretty close?

Attachments

• Golden.jpg
    Golden.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 118

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll post my Mapsource TOPO map. I was looking and I'm sure it's possible, but I think it might be above my skill level. You'd have to do some fairly high/steep climbs I think. That whole area I'm sure is rideable to those good enough to ride it.

Isn't Area 51, etc in between Gorman/Quartz?

I'll post that screen print tonight so you can get a better view. On my map it looks farther apart, but I'm sure it's still very possible.

EDIT: You beat me to it. For some reason the area I was riding in Quartz was further then that though. We were just riding the bowls around the cabin. As you can tell I don't know the area at all.

I think these are good questions for the locals =)

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
I think your right, ask the locals...they will know. That being said, avy's may keep us away, but maybe we can havee a looksee for the future....should be fun.
Skill levels, I support riding within them ALWAYS. NEVER get in over your head...just say no.

Cheerz.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HEY JOHNI: SUNDAY IS AN OPTIONAL RIDE DAY, AND YUP, I THINK WE WERE KINDA THINKIN' GORMAN TOO......... THINKING ALIKE.... HMMMMMMMMM, LONG LOST BRO'?

NICE
im thinking so!! but you do live in EDMONTON hahaha!

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did i mention
ONLY 2 MORE SLEEPS
but im not excited:rolleyes:
how about you guys
:cool::cool:

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did i mention
ONLY 2 MORE SLEEPS
but im not excited:rolleyes:
how about you guys
:cool::cool:

Oh only 2 more sleeps, I didn't relize that;) For me it's only 1 more sleep as I always have a sh**y sleep the night before, dreaming of getting stuck, wake up in a sweat from shoveling:D

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hey Blaze, I borrowed a couple radio's They have channel and code. I set channel at 6 and code at 9 that should match your ...Yes?

Top Bottom