Logging road radio freqency and VHF radios

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like they can put 3 channels on each frequency, that will only work on newer radios. Narrow band radios. I'm thinking there will be a lot of radios for sale soon.

The BC log haulers will have to make the switch to newer radios first, and then it will migrate into the oil patch. IMO

The numbering system will eliminate a lot of confusion, ie: 2-3 names for the same road channel, I hate when people call the Lady Fern, the Murphy :rant:

One Murphy road is enough, consultant calls for trucks to go to km 42 Murphy, so trucks go to km 42 Murphy... Rig is actually km 42 on the Lady Fern... true story.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Koby. The LD-ABC channels I know I don't have. Have to update every month to keep current :beer:
Off to Expert I go :d

LD-ABC will be loading channels for the loggers the RR-ABC channels will be road channels.

CTWilly

Reaction score
For bush roads in B.C. the empty trucks only call when they enter a new road otherwise call only when there is a sign stating so. There is supposed to be a pullout every half a km. The loggers do let people behind know when they meet oncoming traffic coming in. Road maintenance vehicles and those coming out of the bush have the right of way. As for hauling days, consider every day a haul day as there is alot of lowbeds working 24/7. The roads are not usually sanded so they will last longer come spring. So put on a set of snow tires and leave the booze at home. There's beer cans scattered along the roads every monday morning goin to work.

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
One other thing I have to mention here is that with these RR channels in BC they are calling UP or Down. There fore calling Loaded or Empty is a thing of the past. Bad idea here, people don't adjust to change quickly :nono: When coming out of the bush you are loaded going to town. Empty going into the bush...simple. This has been the rule of the log road for years and the oil patch has adopted this also. People don't heed the right of way with this up and down BS. Nobody has clued in yet that UP = EMPTY and DOWN = LOADED.

FYI...the OJ and Hiding Creek are bad for this :mad:

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
canfor hines creek went to the "up/down" thing before the mill shut down a few years back. every km sign was changed to show up or down, much like the ones that say "LD" or "MT" on them under the kilometer number. pretty tough changing the old ways, I still catch myself saying "loaded, 17 corner...":eek:

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a rf tech in the communications industry and would recommend a vhf radio but do not recommend a field programmable as like was stated earlier they are illeagal and secondly DOC is confiscating and hitting the owners with quite large fines. As for radio shops being anal I do know we never ask to see a license for your radio and we will program any road channel for you. There are alot of roads in BC that without a radio you are not allowed on. Right now there is a large amount of 128 channel radios becoming available for a very good price. I would personally take the kenwood or icom over the rest.

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pffft they can up / down all they want, there will always be guys coming down the hill loaded

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are a total of 84 LD and RR channels. Some are low power and all are narrow if your radio is not set up by a reputable shop you still may not be allowed on the road and they are not allowing the wait and tag along any more. The DOC rep has a meter and does test the power and, if your radio is programmed properly. The tone is used to stop interference so that that frequency can be used on 2 seperate road quite close without interfering with each other. I can probably answer any questions so feel free to ask.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Now were talking, (get it) :)

Thank's for the info, it's great to have a pro to answer questions.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pffft they can up / down all they want, there will always be guys coming down the hill loaded

So true, but everyone will know what you mean. ;)

In, Out, Up, Down, Loaded, Empty,

As a seasoned oil field tanker guy, I just can't imagine calling 27 ("UP") and ("11") ("down") It will take some time (years)for everyone to get used to.

It can be an issue hauling ("IN") loaded and calling M/T, I have, been screwed over by less than professional, professional drivers. M/T "heavy" in a bad spot can help an M/T loaded truck... See what I mean... Some newbies don't get it.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As you go to the bush the km's go up as you come towards home they go down. I know mt and ld was way easier but someone in an ivory tower who never see's the bush made a executive decision and now we are stuck with it.

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonykunz
The tone is like a PIN for your debit card, its an added security to the frequency.

I'd get a Kenwood Nx700 radio, it's basically a copy and paste to load up the 4 or 5 zone banks (Think of a group of channels used in the same area). Motorola's are a pain in the arse because they have to program every single channel in by hand, so you pay more to get it programmed. Most places can throw a general set of frequencies on.

Self-programmable radio's are illegal, and if you tie up an emergency by talking on a channel they are on and there is a fatality or anything, you can be held liable should they find you. The RCMP didn't want to get involved with it, but Industry Canada usually cracks down the last 3 months of the year with patrolling radio use.

If anyone wants a radio frequency list, I just had two of our radio's reprogrammed with the new Coal Mine frequencies in Tumbler and Chetwynd.

they are not ellegal if you have an operators licence
they are not ellegal if you have an operators licence

Yes it is illegal to self program as he stated above unless you are a dealer. What operators license are you referring to, HAM or commercial. Either way it is illegal to self program in commercial frequencies.
On a second note on modding ham radios it is not the answer as the radio will keep losing power as you go higher in the bands. Check power in high frequencies and then check power in the ham frequencies and it will be down to a portable hand held power in the higher ranges. You can spend alot of money on radios and not get anywhere at the end of the day and they will not take them back. Hope this helps. :d:d

koby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know to much about all these other brands that have been mentioned. We run Relm at work and I run it in my truck. Most a my buds run them too. Trouble free for all the years we have had them. The mobile communication shop we use, re-programs for free if you buy thru them. So, no excuse not to be current.
Not pushing the product, just saying, the right product and right provider makes things good.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
......Not pushing the product, just saying, the right product and right provider makes things good.

Right-on Koby! We use Kenwoods in this neck of the woods as the dealer in Sparwood and Cranbrook like them. They also sell Motorola but prefer the Kenwoods.

By supporting local business one can go back and get tune-ups and up-dates and they are only too happy to oblige....:d

Top Bottom