Increasing hauling weight.

mel.h

Reaction score
Modman said it. And about not going through a scale, well if you are going Hwy #16 in to B.C. you go right past the scale at Tete Jaune, no avoiding it. Year before & last year too we went through there & the D.O.T. & the R.C.'s were only pulling in the sledder's to check for load securement, insurance & registration. All the Semi's were going straight through.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
i hope i dont offend anyone by saying this. but those DOTs are a pain in the butt... i would rather have three sisters as the town whores than one brother who was a DOT LOL

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i hope i dont offend anyone by saying this. But those dots are a pain in the butt... I would rather have three sisters as the town whores than one brother who was a dot lol

ya, but the dot is only dooin' his job....... Gotta respect them for that...... They are a pain in the azz, but that's why they're their.....

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just gonna toss this out there , but if you are over and you do have an accident, can you be denied your clain ?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
just gonna toss this out there , but if you are over and you do have an accident, can you be denied your clain ?

yup..........my wife was in the insurance industry..... It is illegal to be overweight with the vehicle and contents etc., so it would not be a legal insurance claim....... Probably traffic charges too....

eClKaNdY

Reaction score
so if i have a dodge 1500 and 1 sled on my deck with a little trailer(not even 400 pounds) and a sled i'm ok or i'm still overload???

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Modman math is close, but I think he forgot about the driver.
Driver, fuel, gear, crap, tools, spare tire and ONE sled and you do not have a lot of room to spare.
1/2 tons are not enough truck for what we want to do with them.

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So even if you put one in the box and two on a trailer with three guys in the cab and all the goodies your way over the limit with just whats in the truck, even though your under the tow amount.

powerteker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pulled 1 in the truck and 2 on a trailer last year...I saw lots of cops and dot nobody bothered me......all pulled fine 08 dodge ram 1500 hemi

nytro mtx

Reaction score
Also make sure your toys are tied down!!!I've heard of them looking in enclosed trailers to make sure sleds are tied down properly!!!
(sorry,guess thats a little off-topic)
Not sure about enclosed trailers but with anything on a sled deck the DOT want to see 3 tiedowns on each unit, OR at least 3 seprate contact points to the deck, A super clamp and 2 straps works also. Ticket for anything less.
Sorry also, a bit off topic.
Dwayne

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Payload vs drawbar/hitch and towing capacity.

We need to make sure we are talking about same things here. Payload is only what the truck can haul in/on the box. Towing capacity is different and can be proportioned to trailer axle(s). You can move weight on the trailer to adjust tongue weight on the truck. If the majority of the weight is on the trailer and the tongue weight is light, then you might be OK. Should get weighed to make sure. Scale readouts work all the time, even when no one is in the scalehouse. Drive down to your local scale afte hours and weigh your combo(s), this is the only true way to know.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Payload vs drawbar/hitch and towing capacity.

We need to make sure we are talking about same things here. Payload is only what the truck can haul in/on the box. Towing capacity is different and can be proportioned to trailer axle(s). You can move weight on the trailer to adjust tongue weight on the truck. If the majority of the weight is on the trailer and the tongue weight is light, then you might be OK. Should get weighed to make sure. Scale readouts work all the time, even when no one is in the scalehouse. Drive down to your local scale afte hours and weigh your combo(s), this is the only true way to know.

There are scales in both leduc and balzac. DOT. Park off to the side go in and tell them what you are doing. They will not have an issue with you weighing and getting a printed ticket. These ones are not maned scales...There is also on on the north side of edmonton. never really open but the lights work. There is also one just outside of hanna. few other around.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to add tongue weight to the total truck weight when pulling a trailer. Weigh your set up with the truck fully loaded, then subtract 10% to be safe. DOT's don't care if your sled/truck/suspension is full of road grime and snow.

Important Ratings
Each vehicle has numerous weight ratings, or restrictions, as determined by the manufacturer. When towing, we are not only concerned about the vehicle and cargo weight, but also the additional weight that the trailer will place upon the vehicle.

Before we look at the methods for determining the tow vehicle ratings, let's look at some weight definitions:

GVW
Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) is the actual weight of the fully loaded vehicle, including all cargo, fluids, passengers, and optional equipment, as measured by a scale. GVW is determined by weighing the entire vehicle, without the trailer attached.

GVWR
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is the maximum number that the GVW should never exceed. In other words, this is the most that the tow vehicle should weigh.

RGAW
Rear Gross Axle Weight (RGAW) is the actual weight placed on the rear axle. Assuming a well-balanced vehicle, the RGAW is evenly distributed to all tires on that axle. RGAW is determined by weighing all wheels on the rear axle, without the trailer attached.

RGAWR
Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (RGAWR) is the maximum number that the RGAW should never exceed. In other words, this is the most weight that the tow vehicle's rear axle should carry.

GCWRGross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) is the maximum number that the tow vehicle GVW plus the trailer GVW (or GTW) should never exceed. In other words, this is the most that the entire recreational vehicle should weigh. This includes the tow vehicle, trailer, anything towed behind the trailer, and everything inside and on top.

Maximum Tongue Weight or King Pin Weight
The Maximum Tongue Weight (for travel trailers) and Maximum King Pin Weight (for fifth wheels) is the most weight that should be pressing down vertically on the tow vehicle hitch.

Maximum Trailer Weight
Maximum Trailer Weight is the heaviest trailer that the vehicle should tow, as determined by the manufacturer.

Hitch Rating
Hitch Rating is the most weight that a hitch can support vertically or pulling horizontally. This rating may be specified by the vehicle manufacturer and the hitch manufacturer—if they are different, use the smaller number. For ball mount hitches, this rating refers to the weight pressing down vertically. For fifth wheel hitches, this rating refers to the entire weight of the trailer.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This being all said where does it leave people towing a 5th wheel and trailer behind.

Will Alberta ever change?

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This being all said where does it leave people towing a 5th wheel and trailer behind.

Will Alberta ever change?

I think I commented on this question before. I have a friend that is rcmp. he told me that pulling a second trailer behind your fifth wheel is only legal IF.... driver has a valid class 1 licence and the total vehicle gvw is not exceeded. however they don't usually push it really hard unless the guy is being difficult.

Top Bottom