grizzly clutching set-up

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pulled the primary clutch off the grizz and it,s covered in grease inside. the same clutch on the suzi king quad has no grease at all. has suzi some better insite on clutching as grease and belts usually don't mix.

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure of the exact design theory for the different clutch designs, but yup, Yamaha's ATV clutch uses grease.

I have an 03 Grizz & have cleaned & serviced the clutch several times and I've never had a problem with the grease affecting the belt.

Now, having said that, when you put the clutch back together, be careful you don't damage the large O-ring, use a real good grease on the rollers, etc, as some greases, when they get hot, tend to become a little more "liquidified" ... such as Mobile 1. (I used that type once)

I now use Yamaha Grease for the CVT trannys only. It use to be a red colored grease, but now it's more of a yellow color grease. And don't be afraid to use a fair amount of grease on the rollers & the ramps.

As long as you use a good quality "sticky" grease & the O-ring is in good shape, you shouldn't have any problems with affecting your belt.

Later ...

leonard

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Clean it all out with parts cleaner i like to get mine spotless.

then i take about a tea spoon of grizzly grease on my finger and i stuff it in the rollers slide area in the corner closest to the shaft. just enough and not to much. then i shove the roller into it so it stays there. and do all of them the same way.
and then i close the clutch up and keep it tight so the rollers cant fall down.

I also stick some grease in the shaft i just squeeze it in through the holes on the side so it can do its thing.

once i put the primary on i spray some break cleaner on the surface of the clutch where the belt rides. clean it off spotless you cant have any oil or grease on these surfaces . then i clean the 2nd half the same way and bolt it on. now all the grease is in your clutch and not on your belt.

If you had any grease on the belt area id clean that belt as well with some parts cleaner rub the sides sticky clean and your ready to go.

its a small job that keeps your bike running good everyone should get used to doing it.

Top Bottom