Garage Compressor - What size?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Folks,

the time has come to get a decent sized garage air compressor, currently I have a little portable 2 gallon Mastercraft one, that seems to have sprung a leak. I want to get something that's better for running impacts and the like as obviously it does not take long for a little 2 gallon to need to recharge itself when spinning lug nuts off of a 1 tonne, or any such thing.

Mostly used for tire inflation, and air impact/ratchets when working on truck/quads/sleds, but air nailers from time to time, as well as air chisels.

What size do you recommend and what features do you find are must haves?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 2 gallon won't run air tools very well or at all. I have a 60 gallon princess auto unit nut this would do the job also. This a 30 gallon with enough CFM for air tools.

1721952131010.png

• Admin

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
A 2 gallon won't run air tools very well or at all. I have a 60 gallon princess auto unit nut this would do the job also. This a 30 gallon with enough CFM for air tools.

View attachment 285669
The 2 gallon has done okay for several years, but now that I have a house with a garage I want to get something larger for sure.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got this 200 psi Ridgid air compressor with a 4.5 gallon tank. It's works decent for the air hammer and filling tires or blowing dust out of the garage. But I just run cordless tools for impacts and such, just way more convenient. And the higher pressure stores more air than a standard compressor.

Another option would be to get a storage tank like this and plumb your smaller compressor into it.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
JMO opinion but my usage is similar to yours, I have an Omega compressor from Greggs off a welder plug, plumbed up the garage with 3 different runs of tubing and am quite happy. I also added a few volume tanks from older dead compressors that give me more volume if needed.

I have the 6060. If I could have found a a good 5020 type for reasonable money I would have preferred that but then again.. this one runs a fair bit to so its a toss up for sure.

In retrospect I would be looking for a 15A 110V wheeled unit that I could move around if I wanted, oil lubricated belt drive is a must for longevity . It really depends on your budget though.

Probably something like this. There are better options depending on your budget, Quincy comes to mind and there are bargains as everyone is moving to batteries.

Last edited:

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the quality of cordless tools nowadays, are massive compressors necessary?

I have a 26 gallon one and I only use it to do brad nails for trim in the house. The occasional tire if needed.

I'd switch to a smaller portable one if I could for when I'm doing a few wood working projects just to free up space

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the quality of cordless tools nowadays, are massive compressors necessary?

I have a 26 gallon one and I only use it to do brad nails for trim in the house. The occasional tire if needed.

I'd switch to a smaller portable one if I could for when I'm doing a few wood working projects just to free up space
For most no... I need air for polishing blowing out pads etc. There is a lot of cheap air tools out there for a thrifty fella but they are limiting compared to a cordless no doubt.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
JMO opinion but my usage is similar to yours, I have an Omega compressor from Greggs off a welder plug, plumbed up the garage with 3 different runs of tubing and am quite happy. I also added a few volume tanks from older dead compressors that give me more volume if needed.

I have the 6060. If I could have found a a good 5020 type for reasonable money I would have preferred that but then again.. this one runs a fair bit to so its a toss up for sure.

In retrospect I would be looking for a 15A 110V wheeled unit that I could move around if I wanted, oil lubricated belt drive is a must for longevity . It really depends on your budget though.

Probably something like this. There are better options depending on your budget, Quincy comes to mind and there are bargains as everyone is moving to batteries.

My shop is also plumbed for air and I realized that all that tubing actually adds to the volume. I also have some cordless tools so don't need to run an impact etc. Mostly just air up tires and blow dust around, so my little Motomaster 8 gallon is sufficient for now. Have option to go much bigger if I ever need to though.

Attachments

• 20240726_092523.jpg
    20240726_092523.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240726_092503.jpg
    20240726_092503.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20240726_092452.jpg
    20240726_092452.jpg
    235.3 KB · Views: 36

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
My shop is also plumbed for air and I realized that all that tubing actually adds to the volume. I also have some cordless tools so don't need to run an impact etc. Mostly just air up tires and blow dust around, so my little Motomaster 8 gallon is sufficient for now. Have option to go much bigger if I ever need to though.
that's the "newer" version of the compressor I have not Mikey, I need to figure out where the leak is from, I've got a pile of air tools and for my purposes it's not worth the $$$$ yet to move to battery operated everything, so I want to make sure I'm setup well.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be a bit overkill but i picked up a nice dewalt 30 gallon at an auction. Put it up on brackets out of the way and plumbed in all copper lines with drains, accessory ports and hose reel. Took a bit of time but it sure is nice just plugging in whatever you want, always having the capacity and not tripping over air lines all the time. Copper is the best material but not the cheapest. You can use other materials but do your research as some can explode overtime left under pressure. You can get nice plastic kits on amazon aswell that click together and dont require soldering etc. But thats my tip. Plumb it in permanently, best thing you will do to your shop

IMG_3284.JPG
IMG_3285.JPG
IMG_3286.JPG
IMG_3287.JPG

MOUNTAIN MICKEY

Reaction score
CFM is the secret to having a nice compressor. Air tools can gobble up lots of air in a short time. A bigger main line in a shop will out perform the smaller 1/2 inch stuff big time. Air dryers or spitters are a nice option. My setup at home is 60 gallons----14.5 cfm at 40 and 11.5 at 90 and I would not want smaller. 4.5 to 5 cfm gets me by with the old "portable" that will run off my 2500 watt generator but its slow going. Its all a matter of what your needs and wants are. A sheet of plywood in front of a compressor makes a fairly good noise blocker in some cases.

Top Bottom