found my exhaust leak

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
got the track off and when I fired it up to check for leaks since I could not hear any......I saw a clamp spinning around on one of the four pipes coming off the engine. it is not leaking but I would say this could be why Im not getting more than 15 psi......it will leak under power.....

my question is how the F$^K do you get to that clamp? cant get to it from the bottom and when I look down from the top.....all I see under all the crap is a shinny plate of alum......this dont look like a nice job but so far I have spent 2 days just on the tunnel and have not even got to my track swap. I hoping that the clamp just needs to be tightened and not a donut replace.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just did this job this past summer. You're 90% there - keep going!

-seat off, fuel tank off
-remove heat shield on top of the bellows. 3X M6 bolts (10mm socket)
-at this point make a choice: tighten up that clamp and ride out the winter, OR

heh heh....

-remove turbo and Y-pipe
-remove clamps at end of bellows
-remove both 2-into-1 headers
-replace parts as needed: bellows, definitely the "donuts" at the output end of the bellows
-check the 2- into 1 headers for cracks. If they are hooped, go to Alpine and get a set of 0.080" stainless replacements.
-replace bushings at exit of the 2-into-1 where they join the Y-pipe. order up new clamps from yammy, they have an improved design now

-put it all back together then go scare yourself silly again. :d

Prairie Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had that same problem on my Apex. Like Pistonbroke said, take the seat, tank and heat shield off and everything is exposed right there.

sledslut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
look for a leak on the manifold gasket as well i had one there on my apex. also had the exhaust crack on me 3 times.

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the part that sucks is you cant start it back up with the tank removed to check for leaks.......well it is all apart......going to look at extending fuel lines well im in there so I can run it well it is apart!

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was up on owls head today.......got full boost and man it pulls great......I have the old maverick track on backwards and I sware it climbs better than the old CE that was folded over.........at 15mph it has quite a rooster tail with out even spinning the track........it cups the snow now.....track speed went up and so did my top end, at 14-15 psi at 18 it is just crazy!..............there is major snow up top!

boosted metal

Reaction score
Why doesn't anyone pressurize the intake and look/ listen for leaks? I built a charge tube for my front mounts and it was the best thing ever? Reason I ask, I bought a mcx apex and now would like to check for leaks. Would this not work on a rear mount? Pinch off the waste acuater senser line. Pressurize the intake to 25-30 psi, shut off the compresser, listen /spray w soapy water/and look ?

Top Bottom