Does Kijiji really bring out the stupidity?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First let me say: I use Kijiji a lot. I always price stuff low to get it gone quick and Kijiji is a great advertiser. Now...the latest experience. With the opening of a new gym right in our neighborhood, the GF and I both joined. So...it's time to get rid of the elliptical and recumbent bike and regain some space in one of the spare bedrooms. Now I figure there's a million un-used exercise machines out there, but these both work great so I don't want to take 'em to the dump....so I'll give them away. So I post two ads on Kijiji. Since last night I've received a zillion e-mails. A bunch tell me about their personal tragedy and why they deserve it....a bunch say they are home and if I get to Red Deer, could I drop it off....a bunch say they will come and get it, will it fit in my car....a bunch ask for me to hold it until..?.....a bunch ask if can be modified for..?

My GAWD! I sent the same e-mail back to everyone: If you can come and get it in the next 24hrs we will be home. E-mail me with a time and I will e-mail you back directions and a number to call when you are on the way. YOU WILL NEED A TRUCK.

I took the first two replys (only got 4 out of about 50) and so far neither has shown up. One called and asked if it would fit in her car....I hung up on her. I think tomorrow I will put both in the truck and haul to the dump....

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Place them at the edge of your driveway. With a sign "Free, dont ask just take" Worked for me with a set of dressers. If they arent gone when you are ready to leave for the dump, chuck 'em:beer:

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could you hold it for me until Thursday? My car is in the shop until then. Better yet, could you deliver it to me? JK. I know what you're going through, I use Kijiji alot myself, some people can be frustrating.

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First let me say: I use Kijiji a lot. I always price stuff low to get it gone quick and Kijiji is a great advertiser. Now...the latest experience. With the opening of a new gym right in our neighborhood, the GF and I both joined. So...it's time to get rid of the elliptical and recumbent bike and regain some space in one of the spare bedrooms. Now I figure there's a million un-used exercise machines out there, but these both work great so I don't want to take 'em to the dump....so I'll give them away. So I post two ads on Kijiji. Since last night I've received a zillion e-mails. A bunch tell me about their personal tragedy and why they deserve it....a bunch say they are home and if I get to Red Deer, could I drop it off....a bunch say they will come and get it, will it fit in my car....a bunch ask for me to hold it until..?.....a bunch ask if can be modified for..?

My GAWD! I sent the same e-mail back to everyone: If you can come and get it in the next 24hrs we will be home. E-mail me with a time and I will e-mail you back directions and a number to call when you are on the way. YOU WILL NEED A TRUCK.

I took the first two replys (only got 4 out of about 50) and so far neither has shown up. One called and asked if it would fit in her car....I hung up on her. I think tomorrow I will put both in the truck and haul to the dump....

well if your in calgary would you drop them itll save ya a trip to the dump :d:d

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Screw kijiji and the pinheads that waste your time. Drop them off at a womens shellter or someplace that will really appreciate your donation and generousity :beer:
That's what I'm going to do....there is a place on my way to work that takes donations for women who are starting over due to some misfortune or another...I'll drop 'em there.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Place them at the edge of your driveway. With a sign "Free, dont ask just take" Worked for me with a set of dressers. If they arent gone when you are ready to leave for the dump, chuck 'em:beer:
read somewhere that someone had a fridge to give away, and put it at the end of their driveway with a sign that said "Free! take it away!" and no one did. so they put a sign on that said "for sale: $300" and someone came and "stole" it that night....lol

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got pics of the eliptical? Are you in edmonton? Interested and yeah I have a truck.

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
read somewhere that someone had a fridge to give away, and put it at the end of their driveway with a sign that said "Free! take it away!" and no one did. so they put a sign on that said "for sale: $300" and someone came and "stole" it that night....lol

Another dose of todays reality... makes me wanna live in the bush with no running water

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will never try listing baby items ever again on kijiji. This seems
to be the worst group of people to deal with.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
put a chain and lock on them in the ally and they will be gone in 3 hours....

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
Im hearing your pain!

Sold the little girls princess castle bed on KIJIJI. Yes, i was an idiot and paid way too much for it so I was asking 1000 (it was fair that was half of what i paid for it brand new one year ago) So I had people asking if i would:

1) Trade it for a bulldog
2) Trade it for a barbie collection and $500
3) Take $150 for it AND throw in the mattress
4) Deliver it to Calgary

Fugg was i glad when that thing finally sold!

raceu4it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'd take it for free if u quarantee i would get in shape when i have time to use it. :d

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know what a ' princess castle bed" is but I'd deffinetly trade one or two of those for a bulldog.
Im hearing your pain!

Sold the little girls princess castle bed on KIJIJI. Yes, i was an idiot and paid way too much for it so I was asking 1000 (it was fair that was half of what i paid for it brand new one year ago) So I had people asking if i would:

1) Trade it for a bulldog
2) Trade it for a barbie collection and $500
3) Take $150 for it AND throw in the mattress
4) Deliver it to Calgary

Fugg was i glad when that thing finally sold!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Screw kijiji and the pinheads that waste your time. Drop them off at a womens shellter or someplace that will really appreciate your donation and generousity :beer:

The most unfortunate problem with your solution is, those places most likely won't take it.

During the summer we cleaned out a few houses of excess "stuff". Mostly brand new furnature, excerise equipment, brand new cookware, and thousands of dollars of child clothing and toys which was all new.

No places in Calgary would take it. NONE! I couldn't believe that there were shelters or such that didn't want it.

So we tried the kiji route and got the same result. Hey I will be there at 5, never show up, oh can you deliver, yadda yadda yadda. We eventually gave most of the items away and sold a few for $20.

Try it though, call any one of these places in Calgary and say you have something awesome to drop off, and don't be surprised when they don't want it. Off to the landfill more stuff goes.

Top Bottom