Diesel engine oil

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestions on where to buy Diesel engine oil looking for 5w40, have been using UFA and Canadian Tire, are dealers any cheaper or heavy equipment dealers that you have experienced?

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Anybody have any suggestions on where to buy Diesel engine oil looking for 5w40, have been using UFA and Canadian Tire, are dealers any cheaper or heavy equipment dealers that you have experienced?
How much you need?

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much you need?
not a huge amount pail here and there kind of thing have a few friends that may be interested in a bulk purchase type thing. Likely 12 pails a year maybe more. I usually wait for the sales and works out to $10/L kind of thing. just wondering if anyone has any better ideas.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think walmart is cheapest.
if a guy is changing every 5 to 7k and stock power the cheap ch!t works just fine imo. I get the mobil delvac since it sonly 10 bucks mroe than the supertech
canandian tire motormaster brand is also good choice

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gregg's sells a synthetic 5w40 in Propel brand, its made by Warren Distribution that also makes the Kirkland and Amazon oils. We used to run it in the equipment at work and seemed good at that time.

It used to be a fair bit cheaper than shell, but I haven't priced it in a while.

The motomaster 5w40 is also made by shell, and a fair bit cheaper.

Otherwise I just wait for Rotella to go on sale, which usually happens every spring and fall at UFA, Canadian Tire or Napa.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
not a huge amount pail here and there kind of thing have a few friends that may be interested in a bulk purchase type thing. Likely 12 pails a year maybe more. I usually wait for the sales and works out to $10/L kind of thing. just wondering if anyone has any better ideas.
I'll check my price per pail tomorrow at work for you.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Have you checked the price at Co-op? I think they got a lubricant store at the fancy new cardlock.

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
https://www.amsoil.ca/p/amsoil-5w-40-heavy-duty-100-synthetic-diesel-oil-ado/?code=ADO1GC-EA

Amsoil and if have preferred pricing its $ 38.19 per 3.78 L Jug or $93.60 per 9.6 L

amsoil.jpg

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well if youre talking about good stuff I'd recommend this, Jow gibbs. I use it in my race truck and so does steve @ khaos in his 2000hp cummins
Better than scamsoil. Mopac also sells it

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So had an interesting chat with an oil salesman from Petrocan and some points that I never thought about. His comments were everyone gets stuck on having the most pimped out oil full syn. etc when in reality the biggest killer on emissions equipped trucks is fuel dilution and the only way to deal with that is change oil and good running engine. So.. his thoughts are, back down on the oil to a mid-tier type oil and change it more frequently. Unless you need the extreme protection that a full syn offers. There is pros and cons both ways as the full syn has better add packages to carry soot etc. But at the end of the day good combustion and frequent oil changes win.
Thinking out loud...
He actually commented also on running premium diesel and or regular with an additive as better combustion leads to less soot and wear which leads to less contamination in your oil to begin with.
I cant wait until warranty is up and get this deleted but until then..

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
CAT DEO 5w40 ULS Synthetic:

3.78 L Jug - $44.92
18.9 L Pail - $219.84

CAT DEO 15w40 ULS

3.78 L Jug - $27.10
18.9 L Pail - $131.15

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont think you're gonna see big discounts unless you are buying a chit ton of oil.

Might as well keep going where ur going

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So had an interesting chat with an oil salesman from Petrocan and some points that I never thought about. His comments were everyone gets stuck on having the most pimped out oil full syn. etc when in reality the biggest killer on emissions equipped trucks is fuel dilution and the only way to deal with that is change oil and good running engine. So.. his thoughts are, back down on the oil to a mid-tier type oil and change it more frequently. Unless you need the extreme protection that a full syn offers. There is pros and cons both ways as the full syn has better add packages to carry soot etc. But at the end of the day good combustion and frequent oil changes win.
Thinking out loud...
He actually commented also on running premium diesel and or regular with an additive as better combustion leads to less soot and wear which leads to less contamination in your oil to begin with.
That is interesting.

I know that in the 4 Ford diesels I have owned, they have all sounded quieter and run better using a semi synthetic oil. Typically Motomaster.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking out loud...
How many kms left until you delete?

I just did my 2017. Forgot how much of a difference it makes. The 4L/100km extra helps too

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
How many kms left until you delete?

I just did my 2017. Forgot how much of a difference it makes. The 4L/100km extra helps too
my 13 6.7 cummins I've gained almost 5L/100 empty and 3-4 towing, plus the power difference.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you hand calculate those economy numbers to verify the instrument cluster reads accurate.

Some tuners add power by modifying the injector pulse width table, so the truck may think it's injecting 110 mm^3 per stroke, but is actually doing 130 mm^3 per stroke, which can really throw off the instrument cluster fuel economy numbers.

I know with my power stroke there is a hard limit of 140 mm^3 per stroke in the ECU, after which modifying the pulse width table becomes necessary to add more fuel and make more power.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you hand calculate those economy numbers to verify the instrument cluster reads accurate.

Some tuners add power by modifying the injector pulse width table, so the truck may think it's injecting 110 mm^3 per stroke, but is actually doing 130 mm^3 per stroke, which can really throw off the instrument cluster fuel economy numbers.

I know with my power stroke there is a hard limit of 140 mm^3 per stroke in the ECU, after which modifying the pulse width table becomes necessary to add more fuel and make more power.
Exactly. When I Spartan tuned my Ford, could never trust the digital readout as it read 3-5L high all the time.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score

that's super interesting! I'll have to do some hand calculations, but I am seeing a tank of fuel going further KM wise.

Top Bottom