Catalyst Cat Chassis

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always wonder why anyone in decision making would even consider something like an 858cc, several seasons after the 850 was introduced by the other two. I laughed when I saw that, 8cc more then its competition, now that's raising the bar LOL.
Why did they not put the real scare in the competition by introducing a real increase like 880 or 890. I'm sure that would make some rethink their sled option as an N/A sled if they would of, we will never know now.
And ya I agree, make it turbo ready for those looking for that.
Either way these are still sub 200hp factory.
Maybe it was an 890 they started with and they down-sized it to meet the competition and now they have the big one ready for when the market demands it? I think it would be stupid to design a motor without thinking about ways to upsize the power later. Most motors designs of the past started with lower cc's and got bumped up over the years. If Cat released a 890 now, Doo would be forced to release a bigger NA. With a 858, Cat is not pushing the others to release bigger motors and leave it behind, once again.

Last edited:

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowest says the width of motor and HP/LB was why they ended up at 858. Motor would be bigger and heavier at any more displacement. Jugs are same size as old 800.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good chance that someone will be me. Hard to beat the power, torque and sound of the 4 stroke.
Build a duplicate kit for me while you’re at it. I have a built nytro engine collecting dust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always wonder why anyone in decision making would even consider something like an 858cc, several seasons after the 850 was introduced by the other two. I laughed when I saw that, 8cc more then its competition, now that's raising the bar LOL.
Why did they not put the real scare in the competition by introducing a real increase like 880 or 890. I'm sure that would make some rethink their sled option as an N/A sled if they would of, we will never know now.
And ya I agree, make it turbo ready for those looking for that.
Either way these are still sub 200hp factory.
Or like a 950

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Belt drive is another area where weight and rotating mass can be saved and they have become as reliable as a chain system. Many think they are better than chains and some think chains are better. Why do you think Cat went belt drive?
And the ski-doo chain case was so reliable this year too...

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And the ski-doo chain case was so reliable this year too...
No, they cut corners this year. Likely because there was a supply chain problem. Or maybe to cut costs. It was a bad decision.

Last edited:

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No, they cut corners this year. Likely becasue there was a supply chain problem. Or maybe to cut costs. It was a bad decision.
Was it a bad decision? So the better chain and gears weren’t available till recently. Probably for the 2024 assembly line build. Is it better to send peeps out with the regular chain and gears at the promised delivery date or warranty recall every chain and gear this year to make it right and allow what….90-95% of the buyers to have a trouble free year and now get new chain and gears on top of that? I think it was smart business.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was it a bad decision? So the better chain and gears weren’t available till recently. Probably for the 2024 assembly line build. Is it better to send peeps out with the regular chain and gears at the promised delivery date or warranty recall every chain and gear this year to make it right and allow what….90-95% of the buyers to have a trouble free year and now get new chain and gears on top of that? I think it was smart business.
I’m glad my turbo r showed up. I’m also glad I didn’t blow a chain last year lol.
I know many guys who finish the season on the shitty gears. They would’ve all been upset to not have a snowmobile. I’m sure.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You have a point. It was only a bad decision if they did it to cut costs only. They did not seem to communicate very well why they switched out the parts.

Last edited:

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ll take my chances piling up a chain rather than having P22 parts flying through the hood. Lol
I snowchecked a Boost and a turbo r
I chose the R, and gave my Snow check to a buddy to buy off me. 700 km later the p22 clutch flew apart and came out from under the hood and tore his jacket in the arm pit and elbow area. Somehow it came out of the sled without any damage to the snowmobile only tore up his klim jacket lol, the clutch was never found. He was lucky, because at the time he was standing off-center to the opposite side

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I snowchecked a Boost and a turbo r
I chose the R, and gave my Snow check to a buddy to buy off me. 700 km later the p22 clutch flew apart and came out from under the hood and tore his jacket in the arm pit and elbow area. Somehow it came out of the sled without any damage to the snowmobile only tore up his klim jacket lol, the clutch was never found. He was lucky, because at the time he was standing off-center to the opposite side

My new sled gear when I’m riding a sled with a p-22..

f227a302b1f5bc8d4b1577801b9c69f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom