Any Mtn bikers out there? Need some input.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If my xtc h.t. came with a simple coil front fork I would keep it...
I like the air shock up front but if it leaks down on a ride that would suck...
20230513_092947.jpg

Floaty front suspension is nice,,, im ok with the frugal Sunron coil forks ... i never lock them out too stiff,,, i set them at middle settings and never touch them again,,, I dail them back on rebound then ride the crap out of them... lol

I like simple bikes but my needs and wants change over time,,, I'm trying out a f.s. e-assist bike right now...

Sunron coil up front,,, air shock rear,,, if the air shock craps out I'll replace it with a coil spring shock...
20240705_204426.jpg

Simple is ok in my books,,, its hard too not get drawn into the latest and greatest...

Had I known what I know now i would of kept my Gt bike...
I got it on sale for just over $500 bucks back then...

A lower dropped top bar
27.5 tires
Frugal Sunron coil fork
Mineral oil caliper brakes...
Good enough for things in my world...

Correct,,, bikes are like sleds,,, one is never enough and the next new generation awaits buying... lol...

Yes...

Both feet on the ground over the top bar ,,, a bike shop thats going too be there,,, and $4 or $500 bucks...

I'll look too see what my bike shop friend has in that price point...

Giant,,, Marin ,,, and gt are my favs,,, no particular order,,, its all about saving a few bucks and getting out there for rides...

I like the idea of readily available standard parts and a bike shop of friends and staff too keep me going """if""" adjustments are needed ...

I post a few units that are on sale in our area...

Don

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Full suspension is nice but unless you can lock it out, some of your pedaling energy transfers to the suspension.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The big change in bikes started just before the 2000 year,,, lower top bars for folks that end up with mistaken dissmounts...

20230521_201820.jpg

^^^ My vertically challenged friend loves this bike,,, he's been off the saddle more then a few times ,,, he's not keen at landing on his marbles... lol...

A fellow is coming to pick it up tomorrow ...

My friend sold a pile of these this year...
Screenshot_20240720_104623_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20240720_105249_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ive had great results on Giant bikes... $599
20240720_100227.jpg

Ridged/ ridged for general all rounding vvv $499
20240720_100100.jpg

Im all about frugal in moderation,,, I'm definitely game for for quality shifting components...

There are lots of new bikes too choose from in the $500 ish range if a person shops around...

There will be some sales of $100 and $200 dollar discounts this fall...

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They havent. Unless you get an ebike, but then its not even the same thing.
The basic idea of the bicycle is the same but quite a bit of change in the details. 29" wheels are standard, some are 27.5 some are mullets with 29 front and 27.5 rear, frame geometry is different with slacker head tube angles, steeper seat tube angles, and they are substantially longer and lower too.
Wider handle bars, single chainring up front and 12spd cassette. Also high end shifters, derailleurs and dropper seat posts are wireless electronic.
Newest frames are now coming with an extra idler wheel for the chain and have a high pivot linkage on the bottom bracket.
There are a couple brands with internal gear boxes and belt drives instead of derailleurs and chains.
Tires are standard tubeless
High end suspension now has high and low speed rebound and compression damping.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The basic idea of the bicycle is the same but quite a bit of change in the details. 29" wheels are standard, some are 27.5 some are mullets with 29 front and 27.5 rear, frame geometry is different with slacker head tube angles, steeper seat tube angles, and they are substantially longer and lower too.
Wider handle bars, single chainring up front and 12spd cassette. Also high end shifters, derailleurs and dropper seat posts are wireless electronic.
Newest frames are now coming with an extra idler wheel for the chain and have a high pivot linkage on the bottom bracket.
There are a couple brands with internal gear boxes and belt drives instead of derailleurs and chains.
Tires are standard tubeless
High end suspension now has high and low speed rebound and compression damping.

Thing is youre comparing a 2025 freeride to a 2025 yamaha bravo.

Brand new 1000$ bike isnt that great...

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rather talking about the freeride,then showing him a new bravo 😜

And if im going to try out mountain sledding and my choice is used summit or brand new bravo, im going for the used summit.

For trail riding in sakactewan maybe the new bravo is the way to go. I dont know

Last edited:

brad6

Reaction score
By looking at the description for this rig, it might be better suited to what I’ll be using it for. Have to get to the bike shop next week and start looking around to see what’s out there.

Attachments

• IMG_9974.png
    IMG_9974.png
    316.5 KB · Views: 39

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^
Thats one nice looking bike

Ya i like them. They look very similar to the rocky mountain altitude,but way less $$$

Found a brand new left over for 2100$

Id go pick up that one for 1000$ if i was in chilliwack right now though

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't decided what too do with my old school Raleigh bike yet,,, i re-retro'ed it this spring...
20211002_122138.jpg

I've taken it too alot places threw out Western Canada...

Its a box store bike built for abuse...

Ive taken it on alot of off road grit trails on narrow 700c tires...
20230324_145031.jpg

Ive pulled off 2 century rides and lots of short 30 and 40 mile runs...

Fairly frugal price point when on sale...
20230521_201318.jpg

$300 on sale
It's been chained down with logging chains...
Lots of dust and mud in transport mode
Scratches and scuffs
Beat and abused
All standard parts readily available
The fruglest of parts
Its cheaper too replace the hubs with hub & wheel combinations... ( when they need replacing )...

I put the dropper seat post back on and the wider bars this winter...

Its my smash'er bike...

Im ok with budget bikes so long as it dosen't say Super Cycle,,, i had a few of them and they are junk junk... lol

Its wiser too go too the bike shop brands if a person wants better reliably and resale value latter on down the road...

Hence the xtc...
20230513_130611.jpg

I haven't decided what too do with this unit either,,, $$$$... Ha

26 lbs of glory,,, she was 44 lbs rigged in on the Ram Mountain climb...
20230513_131153.jpg

Vers 66 lbs of rigging on the f.s...
20220713_124455.jpg

Push push push and lots and lots of water...

She was hot on both of those climbs... lol

Don

Last edited:

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya i like them. They look very similar to the rocky mountain altitude,but way less $$$

Found a brand new left over for 2100$

Id go pick up that one for 1000$ if i was in chilliwack right now though
Kona had a sale on this spring, buy one get one free. Company had Cash flow problems.
They are now back with some restructuring.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im on my 3rd charge as I close in on the 1000 mile mark on analog e-bike...

300 miles per charge,,, of course this is with 92 too 98% pedaling
20240616_114514.jpg

The trick is too pedal pedal and pedal the 60+ lb unit...

A e-bike is useless if I can't spin the crank...

Its a great way too see terrain at a relaxing pace
I can spark it up for climbs
Maybe ill do some narly mt runs...

Analog-ing is part of my game,,, great exercise if I want,,, or sit back and relax even more of the day...

E is fantastic on the hot days,,, im insearch of tree shade every where I go,,, no shade no bikeee...

Im glad i got a chance too analog for 20 + years before trying e-assist,,, im still on the fence since im a crank dude...

I have a sneaking suspiciou on selling it cheap when the day comes,,, pass along the rewards...

Got too run,,, farm chores and other tinkering today in the shop,,, i think the kows need some attention today with the summer time temps...

Hot hot hot

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kona had a sale on this spring, buy one get one free. Company had Cash flow problems.
They are now back with some restructuring.

The one i was looking at is a left over from 2017. No one wanted it i guess, but id buy it.

Top Bottom