340 Drifter idles then dies

roundhd

Reaction score
I just finished my hood and seat repair, took her out for a ride, ice cold she started in 1 pull, idled and ran like a champ, After 10 min she got a little boggy so I came home. While I opened the garage door she idled down and flooded out, had to pull her several times with the throttle pinned, then she idles. When it comes down from mid idle she likes to die, any ideas?

Have to do a shout out to my Mom for sewing up the new seat cover, it looks great.

Attachments

• IMG00084-20101205-1749.jpg
    IMG00084-20101205-1749.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 106

polarice

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just finished my hood and seat repair, took her out for a ride, ice cold she started in 1 pull, idled and ran like a champ, After 10 min she got a little boggy so I came home. While I opened the garage door she idled down and flooded out, had to pull her several times with the throttle pinned, then she idles. When it comes down from mid idle she likes to die, any ideas?

Have to do a shout out to my Mom for sewing up the new seat cover, it looks great.

can we have a little bit more of history as to what if anything was done to the engine

roundhd

Reaction score
The 340 is bone stock, everything is original, I might try to lengthen the choke cable and make sure the spool bottoms in the carb.

mountainbigbull

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 340 is bone stock, everything is original, I might try to lengthen the choke cable and make sure the spool bottoms in the carb.
Yup check the choke and make sure there are coming off fully and then if that's not it, then pull the carbs out clean them, check to make sure the float bowls are not stuck allowing a flooding condition. I''m not familiar with these old girls but it safe to say it carb related if in fact your really rich and flooding.
Nice old sled btw

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup check the choke and make sure there are coming off fully and then if that's not it, then pull the carbs out clean them, check to make sure the float bowls are not stuck allowing a flooding condition. I''m not familiar with these old girls but it safe to say it carb related if in fact your really rich and flooding.
Nice old sled btw

.....x2

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Carb needs to be cleaned, other than the main jets there is also an "idle" circuit, that's what I would suspect.

Top Bottom