08 Clutch servicing

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to service my clutches before winter hits here, challenge is that I have no dealer in town, so I need to order some things so they are in hand when I bring my machine in. I've got a DJ clutch kit on the way, and new rollers in hand. I know ill need the torx bits for the secondary, and should get the bushing for the primary, is there anything else im missing? I would rather replace a part that is borderline with something brand new rather than put something i question back in. What would be the wear parts a guy should put in there?

Thanks in advance

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to service my clutches before winter hits here, challenge is that I have no dealer in town, so I need to order some things so they are in hand when I bring my machine in. I've got a DJ clutch kit on the way, and new rollers in hand. I know ill need the torx bits for the secondary, and should get the bushing for the primary, is there anything else im missing? I would rather replace a part that is borderline with something brand new rather than put something i question back in. What would be the wear parts a guy should put in there?

Thanks in advance

When I did mine i had the clutch puller, roller clips and don't forget loctite for the secondary bolts.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
should not need a clutch puller.. the inside sheave can stay on.. unless you are having it machined ..

finndoo

Reaction score
Get new cotter pins for your rollers, get both bushings in your movable sheave. (The whole spring tower cap and the little bushing in the sheave) these were poor material bushings from the factory on 08's. The little bushing is held in with a small clip that almost always gets wrecked so a new one of those would be good also. In addition to the clip I also used green loctite when installing the new bushing, it is some kind of loctite meant for sleeves and bearings.The first time I also wreaked the first small bushing pressing it in so be very careful. I made sure to clean up any sharp edges that may catch the bushing the second time. To remove it take the clip out and use a dremmel to very carefully ground down a little slot so that it releases all of the tension on it and it pops right out.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks in advance

If you are not familar with doing this work, do lots of searching before you get started and find out what torque specs you need for putting everything back together.

Now you have a DJ kit, but you have stock '08 ramps? Those are likely the 413's? Try and find some ramps from an '09, the 441's. They perform better with DJ's kit, or order his Mountain Ramps.

Double check the o-rings on the buttons, might as well pick up new o-rings, they usually wear out. Make sure there are no ridges on the buttons, if there are, replace them.

Double check the bushings on the spring cup, and throughly clean your primary and look for cracks all over both inside and out.

Pull the arms out and clean the pins. Some people run them through some fine abrasive paper. Don't remove any material. Re-assemble and make sure the arms move freely. Make sure there is no side to side movement in the arms.

Do you have access to a dial gauge indicator? If so, if you are pulling the entire primary (might as well) check for crank run out. I don't have all the specs off the top of my head, but you can search for them.

When you have the secondary off to replace the helix, double check the rollers in there. There is an "E" clip that holds the retaining bolt in and it can be a real bugger to get out. The torx on those is an odd size, I would have to search to know for sure what it is, but its not a t-30 or t-25.

Really, if you are going that far already, it doesn't hurt to check them. Also check the bearing on the shaft. Make sure it spins freely.

Pulled the secondary rollers out of my buddies sled tonight and they were cracked. Seems to be common issue with the newer bushings.

That should keep you busy for an hour.

finndoo

Reaction score
The Torx on the secondary roller pins is a T-27. I found one of mine cracked during my pre-season check, so I agree with checking them out while you are in there. I replaced mine with some high torque rollers and they came with new E-clips.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little heat to break the torx as well "factory locktight", toss them when your done and buy some allen heads. you tube dj install shows you alot.

xpsledneck

Reaction score
Also check inside the primary outer shive where the spring sits for cracks.
i pulled mine apart this year and it had a large crack where the belt run's and uppon further inspection found a few more small cracks on the inside under the spring bushing.

Top Bottom