Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
September 18, 2024

Why there’s concern over falling auto retail numbers​

Financial-car-vehicle-money-down-trend-Depositphotos_182946990_S.jpg

June’s automotive retail sales data revealed notable declines across various segments, including those in the aftermarket, raising concerns within the industry.
DesRosiers Automotive Consultants (DAC) reported a “worrying” drop in automotive retail sales for June, with declines observed across multiple segments.
New vehicle dealers led the way with an 8.6 per cent decrease in sales compared to the same month last year, while used vehicle dealers saw a 6.1 per cent decline.
The aftermarket also saw a significant drop-off. Automotive parts, accessories and tire stores reported a 7.6 per cent decrease in sales for June 2024 compared to June 2023. DesRosiers noted that even though monthly data can be volatile, the scale of the decline is alarming, especially considering the impact of the CDK software outage that affected the industry in June.
DAC-June-retail-sales-1024x455.jpg

Despite the troubling June figures, the consultancy noted that the first half of 2024 showed more stability in the automotive retail sector.
Used vehicle dealers recorded a 0.9 per cent increase in sales, while new vehicle dealers saw a slight 0.5 per cent rise. Conversely, gasoline stations experienced a minor 0.4 per cent decrease in retail sales.
Automotive parts, accessories and tire stores fell behind the pack with a 1.1 per cent decline — however, that number comes off the record high sales seen in the first half of 2023.
“Retail sales have remained stable in the first half overall and have maintained high dollar value figures, but June itself has shown notable weakness,” commented Andrew King, Managing Partner at DAC.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our economy has been based on people snorfling debt to buy new vehicles and over priced houses for at least the last decade. It's a house of cards.
Very accurate, so many are buried in debt

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No idea why people don't want to buy new.....maybe the 100g for a truck is why.....
I backed out on a factory order 24 platinum super duty long box 2 months ago. It was 112g family pricing.
Saturday my Salesman called me says he found a guy to buy my 22 king ranch for $90 grand and he could knock three more off the truck. Would you take it he said and I’m like nope. I understand. I only payed 86k for my truck. Getting 90k is killer. But I can’t pay 109k for a truck. My brain won’t let me even though I can run through my business

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a street bike, I went back and forth with the dealer as well. I told him what I was willing to pay and they said no way, I said okay if you change your position call me. Four days later they called and said yes. Dealers are hurting with high inventory numbers.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a street bike, I went back and forth with the dealer as well. I told him what I was willing to pay and they said no way, I said okay if you change your position call me. Four days later they called and said yes. Dealers are hurting with high inventory numbers.
Funny you say that because West End Dodge in Edmonton has brand new 23s on the lot. 25s are being delivered right now. If somebody likes Dodgers, I bet you could steal one of those.

Lem Lamb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I should ask a dealership if they'd give me $90 + k trade in value on my near mint f-150...
20240924_115920.jpg

200. 000 miles and its just starting too brake in,,, last oil change was 11 or 12 years ago...

My last new unit was 2005 fleet price threw my friends company,,, I still thought it was pricey back then,,, and here we are 20 years later and trucks have ( More) then doubled...

I know this sounds stupid,,, if a person gets a deal on """lets say""" a $100 k truck it will most likely hold its value if it gets (Well looked after) in the foreseeable future of 10 or 14 years ...

This would be no rust,,, dings,,, dints and scratches... and everything in working order...

Lets face it,,, the costs of trucks will most likely remain high,,, so older ( well looked after units might retain there value better over time. )

Yaa / Naa,,, don't know...

Top Bottom