Who's running what for a grain stove??

dwillowguy

Reaction score
Our stove is a Harman PC45...and I love this stove. There are no clinkers to clean out and it is and it has a room thermostat to control the heat output. We've burnt canola, barley, oat's, wheat, screenings, wood pellets and just this week tried pea's, she burns them all. All the bin cleanups and tough testing grain get's burnt in the stove. Sure beat's cutting, hauling and splitting wood. Two 5 gallon pails of grain will run the stove steady for 2+ day's....depending on how much heat you call for.:):)

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am glad to hear this works well for you, I think this will be a deal for me when I move to another house and can install one. Wood is a novelty for a while then gets old real quick.

What does flue gas smell like?
Where did you get stove from?
Does one grain burn better than another?

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whats the Harman like for prices??? I've been looking for something to heat my garage, would it be suitable?

dwillowguy

Reaction score
They are a little pricey.....with the updated trim and chimney I paid $4100.00 including GST and shipping. During the winter the stove heat's a 2200 square foot house just about by itself, furnace kicks in maybe once or twice during a 24 hour period. When stove is burning there is no smoke and it smells...well like grain burning..LOL. It only smokes during start up and then for about a minute or so. The chimney can go straight out the back and through your wall, heat from the exit is no hotter then your dryer vent. As far as what grain burns better we found that wheat burns hotter, but leaves a clinker on the stir stick, oats and barley give you a little less heat but more fly ash and also burns at just about 2 to 1. Canola by itself burns really good because of the oil content but leaves more soot on the glass. We found that the screenings burn really good as well, but then you have a little bit of everything in it..ie weed's, grain etc. But living on a farm we always have grain on hand. Stove usually fires up mid Sept. and runs 24-7 till end of April, last year we went thru 150 bushels of oats....150 X 1.80 per bushel= $270.00...7 month's of heat for less then 40 bucks a month...cheap cheap:beer::beer::beer:

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only problem is that they need power to run the fans and hopper bin our friends had one and when the power was out for 2 days they had no heat my wood stove will still heat my house without power and i can cook on the top if needed cutting a couple of cords of wood is good exercise and it looks nice to sit in front of a burning wood fire

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the only problem is that they need power to run the fans and hopper bin our friends had one and when the power was out for 2 days they had no heat my wood stove will still heat my house without power and i can cook on the top if needed cutting a couple of cords of wood is good exercise and it looks nice to sit in front of a burning wood fire

Minor, thats what generators are for, back the tractor up hook-up the PTO and walla you have power.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i never though of that got to go out and get me a tractor and generator to save myself 100 on my heating bills stupid me

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
I love my pellet stove .It is easy ,no hauling wood,,,,,but if i lived on an acerage i would have a wood stove..I don't have a back alley here,and hauling wood from the front street to the back yard would suck.Crappy new areas of town ....

Top Bottom