Totally off Topic - Sleep Apnea

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does any one here suffer from Sleep Apnea????? I am in the process of scheduling a level 3 sleep test for myself. I have read some of the mumbo jumbo online, such as obesse people are more prone to this ....... I am 100 lbs and I also read people with this fall asleep during the day cause they are so tired, which I'm not.....and blah blah blah. I would prefer to hear real life situations from those with this condition. Are their other treatments for this condition other then the CPAP??? I have also been told by my doctor that this machine IS NOT covered under Alberta Health.......is this true????

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm one of the lucky ones. I was waking up 16 times an hour cause I stop breathing! How frickin lazy is that! It was ruining me, I was even getting bitchy at people that i like to sled with while we were sledding. Not good! Got on the supercharger at night (not fun at first) and now I travel with it, can't go without. AHC didn't cover it, my company health plan did though.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Since your 100lbs soaking wet you may be a candidate for the lazer treatment, doesn't hurt they just do some touch up work to the back of the throat.

Sleep apnea is most prevalent in over weight people, the super charger (air machine) does work and as senorjeem says takes a bit to get use to but after two weeks of using it you will realize what a real sleep is like.

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thing is I don't wake up..............I go to bed, usually asleep within 5 minutes of head hitting the pillow...................odd time wake up to do the older woman bathroom break but that's it. I'm not tired during the day. I also worry if I need this CPAP Machine I will strangle myself with the cords................and heard they can plug and the machine will make gurgling sounds. I also was born with a cleft palete (hole in roof of mouth) so been told for 40 years tonsils can't be removed....................so wonder if they could even do laser on me?!?!?

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didnt have sleep apnea but had sleep deprivation caused by poor sleeping habits such as thinking about work, poor breathing thru the nose, other habits. I went to a sleep training clinic for 3 months. Hard as hell but I have to say I am relatively cured. I also got my air passages operated on and opened. I do have the odd period of time where I slip into it again but doc prescribed me a non addicting sleeping pill called zoplicone (not sure of spelling). I take 1/2 a pill for about 2 weeks to get me back on track then I can be off for months. Having little sleep is not good for you as there are so many negative effects from mood to over all health. good luck!
By the way, my father in law is now going thru the process of sleep apnea testing. He has suffered from terrible migraines for 40 years. Went to many doctors including mayo clinics in the US. Anyway, his current doc sent him to the hospital for an overnight stay to check his sleeping habits. Low and behold his breathing stopped 55 times in one hr period. They are hoping this is the reason for his migraines as he is depriving the brain of oxygen. He went two days ago to get fitted for the air machine which I believe here in BC it is covered.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I used to suffer from sleep apnea from the age of about 25 to 36, I am now 39 and for some reason I don't suffer from it any more. Either it be from chiropractor appointments or for the stress that has been removed from my life, change of pillow or bed.. who knows.

I am able to fall asleep like you, but in most cases takes less than 5min as my wife says,.. haha. I was never tired during the day, but I did suffer from morning sore throats from snoring,.. and still do on occasion.

malibumama

Member with many hats
Reaction score
Our 5 year old son has sleep disordered breathing and some apnea. He stops breathing nunerous times at night and oxygen levels fall below 70% as per his last sleep study. He is too young for a cpap machine and is generally very irritable and tired during the day. He is not overweight at all. But the doctors did say that acid reflux and sleep apnea go hand in hand and he has severe acid reflux. Something you may want to get checked out. He is on melatonin to get more restful periods of sleep.
Just remember sleep apnea doesn't just effect you, it effects all members of your house!!!

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

GPsnownut

Reaction score
I was diagnosed with it 1 1/2 years ago, it's a myth that it mostly affects heavier people, it can affect anybody, any size. During the test, I stopped breathing 72 times in 7 hrs, longest time was 1 minute, 20 seconds, can't even hold my breath this long when I'm awake. This is due to your airway relaxing and closing off while your sleeping. This can be very hard on your body, will take years off your life, I suggest to any one who thinks they have it, deffinately get tested. Got the CPAP machine, took abit, but used to it now, world of difference, can actually stay awake all day now. It is not covered by Alberta health, but it was mostly covered through work benefits.
P.S. Wife is sleeping better too, as I use the half mask, and my snoring is cured as well.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was diagnosed with it 1 1/2 years ago, it's a myth that it mostly affects heavier people, it can affect anybody, any size. During the test, I stopped breathing 72 times in 7 hrs, longest time was 1 minute, 20 seconds, can't even hold my breath this long when I'm awake. This is due to your airway relaxing and closing off while your sleeping. This can be very hard on your body, will take years off your life, I suggest to any one who thinks they have it, deffinately get tested. Got the CPAP machine, took abit, but used to it now, world of difference, can actually stay awake all day now. It is not covered by Alberta health, but it was mostly covered through work benefits.
P.S. Wife is sleeping better too, as I use the half mask, and my snoring is cured as well.

you are right about the weight myth as my father in law is far from over weight. His doctor also told him that they have done studies and estimate people with sleep apnea cut their lives short by an avg of 5 years.

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Awesome responses !! Thanks a bunch......My main concern was how to pay for this if needed....and glad to hear how you have dealt with it !!!! And your stories.............thanks a bunch ~~

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I suffer from acid reflux and am on medication for that.................brother had surgery for his snoring a few years ago and it didn't really change anything

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wife uses a cpap(nose piece), after years of headaches and not sleeping through the night and oh did I mention her erratic snoring,when she started breathing again she would gasp and snore really loud and very erratic.... it was keeping both of us awake....

She's defiantly not overweight..(my answer)(she thinks she is a bit), she was tested and diagnosed with sleep apnea, tried the sleep training didn't stick, so she went to the CPAP, she doesn't like the look of it or how it makes her feel....but does agree that it's helped her sleep.....from the other side of the bed, WOW.....

She wasn't convinced, until one night when she forgot to fill it up with water and she woke up, that morning she was able to feel the difference....(we agreed...)

Last edited:

Darrell262

Reaction score
Website
www.calculatedrisk.ca
I am overweight alot and I snored loudly for a very long time. My dad has one and I tried using his for a weekend once but I couldn't get it to work because it was set to him and not me. too much pressure I panicked. But heres what was going on, I was getting tired during the day all the time, I would actually start to fade off driving and I would pull over and take a 10 min nap. But I went to bed early. I went to see the Sleep doctor (I put it off because I know how much money they are and I at the time had no job) but I wish I would have done it years sooner. Sleep Doc gave me a oxygen checking device that you tape to your finger and you goto sleep with it for 2 nights. He said I was the worse case he's ever had and in 8 hours of sleep I woke up 900 times or something like that. He said on average I would get 2 hours of sleep a night. Which is why I was in such ruff shape. He said he'd work with me to figure out a way to get me a CPAP gizmo lol.
Here's something for all you guys to gauge your self. If you get up more then 2 times a night to go pee on average you should have your self checked. I would goto the bathroom 5-6 times a night. Sleep Doc said your body doesn't generate urine when your in deep sleep. Since I have been using the machine I can go a whole night with out going to the bathroom now (which is awesome by the way) The machine I think was around 2200$ total with tax and getting a deal on it a bit (Doc helping me out) and somehow my medical I still had covered most of it and I am sure glad I bought it.

Sleep Doc says that (I can't remember the figure off hand) but alot of people suffer from this, but do not know it or don't know there's treatment for it. And that its new out there but is picking up steam pretty quick now that people are noticing it.

Let me tell you it was not super easy to use the device at first, and it takes baby steps. Waking up panicking trying to get it off etc lol. (Not trying to scare you) it takes a while to get used to it. I would come in doc with talk with me and then we'd up the setting on the unit etc. One thing that puzzled the doc is that when I first started using the device I would wake up wide awake in 4 hours sometimes 5 hours and then I could not sleep anymore. I would ither get up all day and be ok or take the mask off and just goto sleep with out it. But I couldn't get a full nights sleep on it, because I was refreshed with 4-5 hours of deep sleep, something my body wasn't used to so I was ready to go all day. Took alot of training on my body but I now get 6-8 hours sleep a night with the unit. not too often I get 8 hours but I have only been using for a few months now. In case your wondering I am using just the nose mask instead of the whole mouth/nose mask, he said if I can get away with just the nose its better cause it doesn't take as much pressure that way. But it was hard to get used to not being able to open your mouth while trying to sleep (cause the air pressure would push in your nose and go out your mouth (scary)

It has made a tremendous change in my life. But here's the funny thing. Sometimes I don't wanna use it so some times I'll take a night off on the weekend and just normal sleep. as like a vacation from it some how and then get back on it the next night.

go figure. Anyhow I hope this long as hell message helps some people out, as I am very happy I got one. I encourage others to get checked out and try it out. (they lent me the device for a month)

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trust me it's been grilled into my head that it affects others. My doc said the machine was between $2000 - $4000 depending on what is recommended and it's not covered by Alberta Health, it's an out of pocket expense. I did see a mouth guard thing that supposedly helps with snorning..........would be curious to see of any have tried that?!?!?!? Just like Snowdin, I'm curious.

I'm glad Iron Horse your wife found something to help her..............I guess part of my hesitation has been embarassment, the fact that I do snore and loudly..........men are supposed to do that LOL !!!

Darrell I'm glad you found help in your situation :) And are sleeping better !!! That's what I don't get is I feel like I sleep well, not tired during the day and feel refreshed and raring to go in the morning. Guess this testing could prove me wrong............Did you do the test at home??? I am able to do that.

I guess the other thing that scares me too..........is sometimes I sleep walk.................and I toss and turn sometimes, scared I'll strangle myself if I need this machine !!!

Anvil1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a machine, and it doesn't really help me. I wake up as tired in the morning as I was at night. I keep using it as it keeps me from snoring and my wife sleeps better. I do have to use the washroom at least once a night, usually twice. I had the nose surgery first, that didn't help, did the sleep study and got the machine. I took the data from the machine in to them and and somehow I still snore (don't get that) and apparently my jaw drops down so I have to wear another strap to hold my jaw up. It never ends.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sunshine: I am a Respiratory Therapist and deal with testing and treating sleep apnea regularly. Im curious what symptoms led to this test being scheduled? You sound like an atypical candidate and I'm wondering what got you started down this road?

Also, just bcz you don't know you wake up in the night, doesn't mean you don't. I've seen patients who wake up 400-500 times/night who had no clue. However, it usually causes excessive daytime fatigue, which you mentioned you don't experience. Maybe try googling "Epworth Sleepiness Scale" and see how you rate: this is an initial screening tool used in conjunction with sleep testing.

Also: look up central apneas vs sleep apneas. There are different reasons people stop breathing at night and CPAP cant help those who stop breathing bcz of brain mediated "relapses" as seen in central apnea. True sleep apneas are cured by CPAP, or in the worst cases, BIPAP. Mouth Guards cannot treat true sleep apneas- but they can treat anatomical abnormalities that cause snoring and restless sleep.

It is true that CPAP is not covered by public health, but some or all may be paid by private health insurance as it is a recognized health concern and dangerous condition that can lead to obesity, high blood pressure, cardiovascular events, stroke and depression; not to mention poor day to day functioning, etc., etc., ETC!!!

Sleep Apnea can kill you- directly or indirectly. If you do have it: get it treated and work closely with a homecare RT interested in providing you with a unit that is comfortable and effective. Much like a car, the machines and masks come with all sorts of options. You need to test drive a few before you decide. Most homecare companies have disposable masks that you can try for a few nights until you are ready to decide on one that works for you.

If you have ANY questions, please do not hesitate to pm me, now or in the future. Good luck

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sled Mamma my husband insists I have Sleep Apena..................that's how I got where I am. Funny he can sleep in our room for a few days.........then I have a bad "snoring" night and he has to go to the spare. I don't have any of the symptoms my doctor discribed for most with this condition, and as I said I sleep..........most nights right through with the odd time having to get up to use the toilet once a night. Thanks for the link, I will definatly have a look at it after work tonight :) And thanks for the info !!! Guess I shall see once I get a call for the testing..........

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad that you chimed in Sledmamma. Someone that knows the real scoop.
I had know idea that I had sleep apnea, and even my wife said that I didn't stop breathing. Once tested, is was shown to be an average of 28 X/ hr and my blodd oxygen levels were low. I snore like crazy. I had morning headaches. Didn't fall asleep duing the day. Symptoms are different for each person

I got the CPAP machine and what a difference. No snoring. No sore throat. No dry nose. No headache. No trip to the can in the night. It took a week or two and I had no problem using the equipment. I also stopped rolling around in bed. I lay down, fall asleep and just lay there(rolled a lot before)
The cost is well worth the benifit!

I have actually had a dream or three. Have not dreamt in years. This is showing that I never made it to deep sleep and this is very important. There should be some years added to your life. The effects are cummulitive.

Hope you get this resolved. You will be happier! Cheers.

Top Bottom