Snowmobile Association in Need of a USED BRIDGE

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is an extremely diverse group on this site, so I am throwing this out to the SnowandMud community to see if there is any help or information available out there.

VARDA is working on an exciting project which will create the first snowmobile assisted ski hill that we know of. Much of the land use work is finalized, although we have had some access issues and now need a bridge.

We need a structure with a span of just shy of 100' and of course are looking for used and as cost effective as possible.

We have a site plan and drawing that we are able to provide if needed, and if there are any professionals out there that may be able to help us source something like this, it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you :beer:

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
There is an extremely diverse group on this site, so I am throwing this out to the SnowandMud community to see if there is any help or information available out there.

VARDA is working on an exciting project which will create the first snowmobile assisted ski hill that we know of. Much of the land use work is finalized, although we have had some access issues and now need a bridge.

We need a structure with a span of just shy of 100' and of course are looking for used and as cost effective as possible.

We have a site plan and drawing that we are able to provide if needed, and if there are any professionals out there that may be able to help us source something like this, it would be greatly appreciated

Thank you :beer:

Curtis, is the bridge just for sleds or would you be putting a SnowCat across it?

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
what is a snowmobile assistat skihill ??? any more info on that ?

You use your sled as the way to get to the top to ski down. Area for skiers and boarders to have a day with their sleds and skis/boards. They can use both same day. Now maybe REDBULL can put in a funky new bridge.

Curtis great marketing opportunity. 1st ever such park designated to the upcoming sledder/boarder.

COOL IDEA VARDA

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sled assisted hill is set for Crystal Peak which would be accessed from the Westridge Parking area just a few kms from Valemount.

The idea is a Double wide track for the up trail with 6(in the first phase) spaced runs down the mountain with designated pickups. Riders use their own machines and tow/haul others up and take turns shuttling similar to mountain bike shuttling.

And yes Fernie, we would hope to be able to put a small groomer accross the structure. Plus either way it has to be engineered as it is for public use

Thanks for the interest !

Attachments

• Crystal Modified Feb 17.jpg
    Crystal Modified Feb 17.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 435

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How about your tobbagan or superslider or your K-Tel snow slider???

How long is the trail up?

tko sled ed

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.foxmaplehomes.com
This is awsome and i would love to try to help out I could see my self and the kids there for sure I own own a home building company in Stony Plain and would like to get involved , let me know when and how

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curtis do you know of any logging companies with old logging trailers laying around, or some old I- beams laying around a boneyard? When i was involved with my old club back east we had the same problem and found the material we needed through these channels. With a couple of old trailers, a welder and some creative thinking a bridge could be built to hold the weight of a groomer.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
acsess from the logging already on the mountain to your distination no need of bridge [sorry about the spelling]

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Curtis,

I was recently pricing out some bridge options for some projects I have ongoing up north here. Surespan has a good inventory of used bridges and I know one of the ones they quoted me on was a 100' steel girder with wood panels L100 load rating. I have been told the price of steel is on the rise and 100' is a big bridge...I would check and see if they still have it and try and lock it down. Forestry is on the upswing and there are a lot of big projects hopefully about to go in Northern BC so used bridges will be hard to find.

The guy to talk to there is

Donovan Ducharme
Equipment Manager
Surespan Group of Companies
E-mail: Donovan@surespan.com

Surespan Group

Rapid-Span in Armstrong had the best pricing on new structures but Surespan had more options for used.

:beer:

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think he said that the 100 footer was in PG so not too far shipping wise for you.

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
100' thats quite a span! any way to make the bridge abutments a little closer. say to the 80' range? i ve put in lots of brigdes and only 2 have been 100' spans.one is on the old man river for spray lakes saw mill. and the other is on the fallen timber river again for spray lakes. especially if it has to be engineered bridge. that runs up the cost vs a 80'! what kind of bridge abutments are you looking at? steel pilings or cement pre fourm? will this be a up town fancy hill with all amenaties like a typical ski hill? or just a trail head staging area with a trail pass system? :cool:

ryan#1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ballpark pricing on new steel girder bridges is $1000 per ft (with panels). Should do better than that on a used. If you go used get a bridge engineer to do an inspection before you buy it to ensure there is no damage to the structure because following installation and before it is used you need a PEng to sign and seal a Certification Report and you wouldn't want any problems at that stage.

EMANAARON

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sled assisted hill is set for Crystal Peak which would be accessed from the Westridge Parking area just a few kms from Valemount.

The idea is a Double wide track for the up trail with 6(in the first phase) spaced runs down the mountain with designated pickups. Riders use their own machines and tow/haul others up and take turns shuttling similar to mountain bike shuttling.

And yes Fernie, we would hope to be able to put a small groomer accross the structure. Plus either way it has to be engineered as it is for public use

Thanks for the interest !

Hey Curtis do you have an Engineer Drawing of What you are looking for? I work at a fab shop maybe i can see what they can do for VARDA.

Let me know.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there is one on the Renshaw that was taken out when the new one went in at 2 km. I will measure tomorrow and let you know, not sure if we own it or it still belongs to Carrier. Let you know tomorrow.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
awesome barry, that would be sweet ! I have a great relashionship with carrier and are currently working with them on the project. Please let me know of the length of this structure. Is it a bailey type ?

Last edited:

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all that have replied

We are aware of the scope of the structure and are working with a great company that is helping us a lot, with volunteering assistance.(dwb)

so far we are looking at concrete embutments and we cannot shrink the span at all, although it is closer to 90 than 100', but that does not mater much.

The logging that you may see in the pic was accessed via a bridge that was at the location that we are proposing, but has since been removed. Direct highway access is now through private land and would also involve an not possible rail crossing

The area will not be a fancy dancy skill hill, simply another option for public recreation in the Valemount Area. Funding for the project to date has come from the Columbia Basin Trust, not the sledder generated revenue..

Again, thank you all to those who have offered assistance, I will address each one very shortly via pm.

Please keep the ideas coming in, this is all awesome !

Sledders Rule !

Last edited:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure if i showed you this photo or not curtis but these lock blocks are a cheap solution to concrete foundations.takes about 2 days and an excavator to setup the abutments. this is a 100' bridge. 120,000$ to buy but is overkill from the one varda requires. im sure something will come up much cheaper than that.

Top Bottom