Rescue

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There seems to be some confusion by some people about what to do if you need HELP(medical or are missing someone). I will be posting 2 pages on the walls of all our cabins for the procedure to follow. A quick heads up to all Snow And Mud riders, summer or winter, CALL 911 AND TELL THEM YOU WANT THE MCBRIDE RCMP. They are the only ones that can call out the SAR. The incident on the weekend and slow response was due to the fact that the caller had asked for a heli. and if you do that they need the lat. and long, or GPS to go get them. If you ask for SAR you do not need that, we come and get you and organize the transport of the injured person. Every situation is different but the one thing that is always the same is that you must ask for the MCBRIDE RCMP if riding in our area. I hope that you don't need to use our services but if you do and use the correct proceedure things will go much better for you and the SAR.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There seems to be some confusion by some people about what to do if you need HELP(medical or are missing someone). I will be posting 2 pages on the walls of all our cabins for the procedure to follow. A quick heads up to all Snow And Mud riders, summer or winter, CALL 911 AND TELL THEM YOU WANT THE MCBRIDE RCMP. They are the only ones that can call out the SAR. The incident on the weekend and slow response was due to the fact that the caller had asked for a heli. and if you do that they need the lat. and long, or GPS to go get them. If you ask for SAR you do not need that, we come and get you and organize the transport of the injured person. Every situation is different but the one thing that is always the same is that you must ask for the MCBRIDE RCMP if riding in our area. I hope that you don't need to use our services but if you do and use the correct proceedure things will go much better for you and the SAR.

What happened Barry?
catmando!

Shredder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When we needed a chopper at the Renshaw cabin last winter, we had the McBride RCMP, NCL, and Ride N Hide all helping us out via Sat phone. Posting the info in the cabins is a great idea Barry.:cool:

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard rumour that someone ended up going over a cliff or cornice in the Renshaw. Don't know for sure, just what I heard, perhaps someone can clarify that was there.

Rucky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard rumour that someone ended up going over a cliff or cornice in the Renshaw. Don't know for sure, just what I heard, perhaps someone can clarify that was there.

I heard different, something about the guy was climbing and hit a rock and the sled landed on top of him...he couldnt feel his legs, but he COULD move them. Just what i heard, sorry if it's not right..

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
We Pulled Up To The Renshaw Cabin, After Some Serious Fun In The Blackwater Area, And Then The Helicopter Pulled In(talk About Snow Dust, Wow!!)..... Some Of The Guys Friends Said He Went Over The Small Cliff(in Flat Lite) Just East Of The Cabin And Past The Lake, There Is Quite A Drop, And The Fellow Never Saw It Until It Was Too Late. His Friends Figured It Was About A 50ft Drop.... They All Thought His Back Was Broken, And He Was Bruised/swollen In His Back Area. I Heard They All Tried To Call Denise @ Ridenhide, And She Kept Telling Them They Had To Contact 911 First(to Get The Ball Rolling). After The Long Time Before The Group Finally Called 911, The Response For Medivac Was Quick.... Helicopter, Search And Rescue Sleds/skimmers, Etc. We Heard The Fellow Never Had A Broken Back, But Was Injured Somewhat...... Does Anyone Have Any More Info??? Good Post Barry, And I Wish We Coulda Hooked Up This Past Week, But Our Internet Connection In Valemount Wasn't Very Good. I Hope The Fellow Is Okay. -summitric

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It was a cliff and he is alright. Again I can't stress enough about the proceedure, DON'T WAIT TO CALL 911, do it first. Your buddy will be out alot faster. After the call was made to 911 we were up there within the hour. To bad he had to lay there for all that time because nobody called 911. If people are afraid to call because they think there is a cost to them there is not. In BC the SAR is not charged back to the injured party. So call 911 so we can be dispatched. If sled'n in Mcbride be sure to ask for the MCBRIDE RCMP.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Here's A Pic Of The Search And Rescue Vehicle In The Parking Lot And A Pic Of The Helicopter Landed At Renshaw Cabin........

Attachments

• 100OLYMP-PC300097_PC300097.JPG
    100OLYMP-PC300097_PC300097.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 466
  • 100OLYMP-PC300102_PC300102.jpg
    100OLYMP-PC300102_PC300102.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 465

.08rider

Reaction score
Thanks Barry!! We should all know the right way to help out someone in trouble!! Keep up the awesome reports and helpfull hints Barry.

sledhunter

Reaction score
Great info Barry. I want to expand on it just a bit though. To report an emergency in any of the riding areas from Kakwa (in BC) to Horsey Creek call the MCBRIDE RCMP 250 569 2255 or as Barry explained call 911 and ask for the McBride RCMP. When you are at any of the riding areas between Valemount and Blue River call the Valemount RCMP 250 566 4466 or 911 and ask for Valemount RCMP.
Once the McBride or Valemount RCMP are called they will call Robson Valley SAR and we will respond whenever conditions allow. Don't expect to have rescuers on site immediately, they are all volunteers and it can take an hour or so to get a team assembled, briefed and deployed to your location. And as Barry told you the search and rescue services are free. When BC Ambulance Service provides heli transport you may be charged for the flight by BCAS. Whenever possible send someone to the trailhead to lead the way for the rescuers to the incident site. Over the past seventeen years we have responded to about a hundred snowmobile incidents ranging from lost sledders to avalanche fatalities. Stay safe, respect the avalanche warnings :)

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great info Barry. I want to expand on it just a bit though. To report an emergency in any of the riding areas from Kakwa (in BC) to Horsey Creek call the MCBRIDE RCMP 250 569 2255 or as Barry explained call 911 and ask for the McBride RCMP. When you are at any of the riding areas between Valemount and Blue River call the Valemount RCMP 250 566 4466 or 911 and ask for Valemount RCMP.
Once the McBride or Valemount RCMP are called they will call Robson Valley SAR and we will respond whenever conditions allow. Don't expect to have rescuers on site immediately, they are all volunteers and it can take an hour or so to get a team assembled, briefed and deployed to your location. And as Barry told you the search and rescue services are free. When BC Ambulance Service provides heli transport you may be charged for the flight by BCAS. Whenever possible send someone to the trailhead to lead the way for the rescuers to the incident site. Over the past seventeen years we have responded to about a hundred snowmobile incidents ranging from lost sledders to avalanche fatalities. Stay safe, respect the avalanche warnings :)
Just wondering if the Robson Valley SAR accepts donations or has any fundraisers.

sledhunter

Reaction score
Hi Mitch, Yes, Robson Valley SAR does accept donations and all donations dollars are spent on equipment. Anyone wanting to make a donation could drop it off at Ride n Hide, Denise is a search and rescue volunteer. As for fundraisers, they are a lot of work for a modest gain. We had a fundraiser with another local group that provided a bit of cash. The biggest benifit was the generosity from the businesses in the Valley, it truely showed their support for the services we provide.
Stay safe,
Dale

Linkz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me and three others were about 100' feet from the guy when the chopper landed, its funny, everyone I asked didn't know what was going on, so I just assumed someone was getting their blown sled out.

My mistake, this was an entirely different instance.

Last edited:

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what day did this happen on?? I was up there on friday and a bunch of guys I know where out there on saturday, and one of the guys blew his jack shaft bearing and had to wait in the cabin while all the others went and played and he never mentioned anything.

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
this is a good post, I had never been uo to the mountains to go riding before this past weekend, and appreciate the info in the event things go wrong!!!

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com
what day did this happen on?? I was up there on friday and a bunch of guys I know where out there on saturday, and one of the guys blew his jack shaft bearing and had to wait in the cabin while all the others went and played and he never mentioned anything.
This thread started just around New Years, when the accident happened and there was confusion as to what procedures to follow (the fellow was banged up pretty good but nothing life threatening).

There are now emergency instructions posted in all the cabins. As a side note, a corporate sponsor in McBride has now offered to update the emergency kits in the cabins here. We found out the hard way on Sunday (a minor tobogganing incident) that the kit at Lucille cabin had been looted. Where are some people's brains ???

Note: I think that was bigdog67 (Jon) that blew his jack shaft. Cut his weekend short but he was happy with the riding he was able to do. He came by the house to introduce himself and have coffee - awesome guy.

Judy
Mountain Haven Bed & Breakfast
McBride, B.C.
(250) 569-0226

jeremy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah he's a good guy, so is the guy I know him through dave who is skippy on this site. they took me up there and tried to show me how to ride in the powder(i am from the praires and have been riding for years, but that was a whole different ball game). I guess he was by on sunday, he had my truck and trailer with the sled on it, poor guy, couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Wicksy

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
My name is Brad. The guy who went off the cliff was my buddie. Just to make a couple thing straight, 911 was called as soon as my other buddie got to the bottom of the hill to get cell service which took approx 10 to 15 mins after the accident. The cliff was anywhere from 30 to 40 feet high when he hit the ground he flat landed and the sled threw him about another 30 feet. He split one of his vertebrae in half and his ribb split down the center. Also he peaked a hill and went to stop and his sled kept sliding when he seen where he was going it was too late. We waited on the side of the hill for around 6 hours for the helicoptor to get there. If anyone has anymore questions please feel free to ask! Thanks For Listening lol.

P.S. He has a back brace and is doing alright.

Top Bottom