Rescue

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is that time of the year again. I am part of S&R so it is time to remind all to be careful this year. Already out on to many. It is a quick way to wreck your weekend and possibly worse. Spent 18 hours with a fellow Friday nite and into Sat. am. The valley doen't have any birds that have nite time flying pilots so it ends up to be a very long and painful nite if you wreck late in the day. SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL out there.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Broken neck or so the paramedic's think. Field triage only can go so far.

dragon700

Reaction score
Thought that I would post a huge thank you for S&R but seeing a thread already started and the late night and long weekend, I quick reply.
I was with the guy that broke his neck Friday, he is going to be OK, flown to Vancouver, fracture of C6,C7. We were lucky enough to provide the correct first aid until help arrived, and that help did the right thing!!! Our friend will walk again thanks to everyone...what a great community. It was a long night spent in the cabin, a long weekend spent with out much ride time, but a surreal exprience that cannot be forgotten.
I huge thank you for everyones help. I am trying my best with names, but it has been a long, long journey this weekend. Thank you, Skip, Roger, Craig, Andrew, Steve, Karla, Marnie, Barry, Rod, the Vegerville crew....I know that is not all and probably not all correct, but Thank you. Hoping the next trip face familiarity will be apon us at the Grizzly. Oh yeah and the food brought up to the cabin...all done by the hard working volenteers of the community!!
After some sleep and letting this surreal exprience set in I would like to think of a way to help pay forward the McBride sledding community.

NosRX1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in Mcbride at the time staying at Barry's B&B. When we heard of the news we all were very concerned, and began hanging off of any positive news. I am glad to hear your friend is going to make it through this ok! Barry and Rod were out riding with us all that day, and were called out in the evening, I am sure they were tired as were the rest of you. It just goes to show how great a place Mcbride is the people, the community and the support given to others! Thank you for posting.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought that I would post a huge thank you for S&R but seeing a thread already started and the late night and long weekend, I quick reply.
I was with the guy that broke his neck Friday, he is going to be OK, flown to Vancouver, fracture of C6,C7. We were lucky enough to provide the correct first aid until help arrived, and that help did the right thing!!! Our friend will walk again thanks to everyone...what a great community. It was a long night spent in the cabin, a long weekend spent with out much ride time, but a surreal exprience that cannot be forgotten.
I huge thank you for everyones help. I am trying my best with names, but it has been a long, long journey this weekend. Thank you, Skip, Roger, Craig, Andrew, Steve, Karla, Marnie, Barry, Rod, the Vegerville crew....I know that is not all and probably not all correct, but Thank you. Hoping the next trip face familiarity will be apon us at the Grizzly. Oh yeah and the food brought up to the cabin...all done by the hard working volenteers of the community!!
After some sleep and letting this surreal exprience set in I would like to think of a way to help pay forward the McBride sledding community.

It's comforting to know that there are such good people there. Kudos for those that helped out in this instance.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Another one last nite. Got home at 3:00 am, 3 guys still up Renshaw. Found them and got them back to the cabin. They did all the work as they had to hike the better part of 4 km in deep snow and -32 temps. NO injuries so that was good. Long nite for Rod and myself, sleds are still in the trees and some local's are going up this am to try and get them out. I can't say it enough times, be careful out there and don't going where you don't know the area. These all niter's are going to kill me.

fargineyesore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What happened that they got stranded (want to make sure I don't make the same mistake if avoidable)? What should they have done?

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
Hopefully you will never have to rescue our group but it is good to know that you and others like you are out there willing to put it on the line to help a person/group that you may not even know.

Keep up the great work to all S&R peeps.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good on ya Barry,Would be interesting to know why they abandoned there sleds and walked.That would be a all nighter(just the walk).
catmando!

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Dis those guys notice any lost horses??
Barry get some sleep and Thank you for your and others help. This is why McBride is #1 on my sledding list.

heyjude

RIP Judy
Reaction score
Website
www.mountainhavenbb.vpweb.com

You know, this is one of the reasons why we love living here. The people are so friendly and caring. They don't HAVE to go the extra mile, but they do. Thanks go out to Rosanna at the Giggling Grizzly for sending the feast up the mountain to the group that stayed in the cabin. McBride/Robson Valley Search and Rescue is an all volunteer organization - these guys are real heroes as far as I am concerned. This story could easily have had a different ending if it weren't for these dedicated and skilled volunteers. Thanks to the Snowmobile Club and it's Corporate Sponsors for keeping propane heat in those cabins. HotRod, the Groomer, should also be recognized - he went the extra mile and worked late into the night grooming the Lucille Trail (after completing Renshaw Trail) in case they had to bring him down. The RCMP kept the trail closed so that all the people and equipment could come down safely in the morning after the chopper took off.

So many people make this a wonderful place to live. We got out of the city a year and a half ago and have never looked back.

benny

Reaction score
the locals who got the sledds out saw the horses.. brutal how some one could leave them there. me and my 2 friends were the ones who spent the night. after they walked 2 or 3 miles back to the cabin where i was waiting with the 2 rescue members. we appreciate the time and effort they spent with us. thanks guys.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the guys that went up the next day to help get sleds out did find two horses .. There are some people that went up there today again to take some hay into them and asses the situation.. Because they are locals and they said that the horses are in pretty bad shape, but we will do everything that can be done to get them out of the hills..

CR500R

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We seen these same 2 horses up there on the nov 11 trip. When we got back to town we had mentioned it to several of the locals, am surprised to hear they are still up there. Hopefully, someone takes this a little more serious now and gets them down before it's to late, it's clear they are someones responsibility as they had huge cow bells around their necks.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
UPDATE ON BEHALF OF THE SNOWMOBILE CLUB
Just got the word on our fellow from Fri/Sat. Broken neck 1,2 and 3 with fragments from 2 lodged in neck. In recover in the Vancouver Hospital but looks good for full a recovery. Like to thank the Grizz for the food and drinks(pop and water) and to all S&R members, but the most thank-you goes out to the paramedics who spent the nite and tended to his injuries. Without their input I am thinking the outcome would have been disasterous for our patient.
It has come to my attention that the head of BSAS told the paramedics Friday nite they were not allowed to go past the trailhead and to leave it to S&R to get him out. Our team here told head office that was not an option and they were going up no matter what. They where told at this time if they did they were going up on their own and not allowed to use IV or be in BSAS uniform. Thank god they chose to ignor the order and go up, because I know I don't know what to do with a broken neck or even if I could have figured it out. I could now that I watched and help but not Friday nite.
This is a problem that all of B.C. is having and we are working on getting a solution before another serious incident like this happens again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom