Power Engineers / Operators

ziggity

Reaction score
Im looking at possibly moving from Nova Scotia to Alberta / BC in the near future and looking for some feedback from people out there that are in the industry. Im a 2nd class power engineer with papers towards my first currently working in power production. Would like to be in the calgary / edmonton area but am open to anywhere really if the opportunity was right. Would most likely end up in the oil and gas sector. If anyone has any input on places they have worked or are working that would be great, thanks.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have some experience to go along with that 2nd class I would think there's lots of opportunities to go be a Homer somewhere.

I'm a burner guy and in every type of facility daily. The meat plants aren't for everyone but they always seem to be looking. Lots of retirements in the future for all the old cranky firsts.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to be hard to get into Oil & Gas without the experience though, seems everyone wants 10+ year O&G experience at that level.

CSV Albright does have a Sulphur Recovery, HP Steam Turbine, etc, so a I think a Second Class will be required to be on staff.

Ft.Mac might be a better bet, most of the big facilities have power generation on-site and that might be a good way to get your foot in the door.

Otherwise your looking at Transalta, ATCO, Enmax, etc for power generation jobs.

I can almost guarantee you'd find something, you might just end up taking a 4th or 3rd class spot until you get the industry specific experiance.

ziggity

Reaction score
I have 14 years in a large power plant , currently a shift lead and fill in as supervisor as required. I know im going to have to start at the bottom in Oil and gas most likely, which is going to be tough but required. Looking for some feedback as far as pros and cons of certain O&G companies, I would be willing to work in fort mac if they had flights to edmonton and calgary, atleast for a while. I know a few guys back here that work at conoco and seem to like it so thats one option I have been looking at.

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cenovus Lloyd Upgrader has lots to offer, Sulfur recovery, Cogeneration plant (215 Mwatt) Power boilers, Heavy oil, Diesel, Hydrogen plant, Coker, etc.

Should be similar in some of the Edmonton Facilities.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 14 years in a large power plant , currently a shift lead and fill in as supervisor as required. I know im going to have to start at the bottom in Oil and gas most likely, which is going to be tough but required. Looking for some feedback as far as pros and cons of certain O&G companies, I would be willing to work in fort mac if they had flights to edmonton and calgary, atleast for a while. I know a few guys back here that work at conoco and seem to like it so thats one option I have been looking at.
Apply with CSV they are always looking at Karr facility, bunch of them moved to Albright plant, good company culture great bosses, I work for them at another plant.

Top Bottom