Post Structures

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to get schooled on post structures. Planning to sell the house and build a barndominum on some property. Found an architect that also runs a company in texas that builds these things aswell but just want to do some reasearch on my own aswell. Really leaning towards post structures, but being in the hardwood flooring industry most of everything I know is traditional stick framing. I know there's someone on here that builds steel buildings, but can't remember who...

So school me on post structures/barndominiums the pro's/cons. Any input from guys that built these and costs would be great! Here's what we're planning. Slightly different with main garage door under the a frame and deck.
1000007801.jpg

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMG_3636.jpeg
IMG_3637.jpeg
IMG_3638.jpeg
Here’s a shouse we built for a customer. It’s not a “pole building”. 4’ frost wall and 2x8 walls. I wouldn’t be keen on doing a pole building for a house just because of frost creeping in with no frost wall. In a shop it’s not nearly as big a concern.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I looked into it since I'm build a shop anyway but out here you have to have the living area above the shop. Also my property is in the agriculture land reserve which doesn't allow a second permanent residence.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it will be living space above shop. It seems there are lots of acreages with strict controls.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Architects and builders down south have many different codes than we have here. They don't have frost and there climate is a lot different. Even between BC and Alberta there are many differences. I honestly would be getting an architect in Alberta who knows this stuff here for that type of building. As you see niners buildings are on concrete foundations either floating or on grade beams on piles.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah he's an architect out of calgary. I was wondering about screw piles aswell. See them used lots lately for additions.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A Foundation is a conspiracy.

You definitely don’t want one if the Government is Forcing you to have one!

Time for Foundation Forcers to WAkE Up!

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone built with integrity? Built on screw piles. These built to lock up post structures seems like the way to go as I could finish the inside myself.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Anyone built with integrity? Built on screw piles. These built to lock up post structures seems like the way to go as I could finish the inside myself.

Not that I hear very much about the construction world in and around Calgary, but there are mixed reviews about those guys. Sorry Shawn, I can’t remember where I heard it from and it was about 15 years ago when I was building in Elkford.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My friend had integrity build him one out in Dewinton. 80 x 120 and 20 foot walls. He was happy with it.

Top Bottom