Polaris Scrambler experiences, opinions?

94fordguy

Hi, I'm thinking about trading in or selling my '03 Predator 500 next spring for a late model Scramber 500 4x4. Does anybody have any opinions on these quads? Looking at the reliability aspect of the 4 wheel drive, the motor and clutch system, basically any opinions or known problems about the quad as a whole.

Thanks for your input

I tried putting this in the Polaris brand forum but I haven't had any luck in there yet...

After riding my buddies this weekend, I am convinced I like them, but I would still like to hear other people's impressions...

Seeing as this is the mud pit, I guess I could post a couple pics of yesterdays fun:D

100_3457.jpg

100_3460.jpg

100_3448.jpg

100_3450.jpg

grnboyz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 Scrambler that is alot of fun, in riding terrain like what you guys show in the picture because its fast, light and easy to handle and maneuver, but not the greatest in skeg, especially with stock tires.
Alot of fun to ride though, if you stay away from the skeg and deep holes, but that's just me talking with my stock tires.:d

mavrick

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 04 and it was a blast to ride never had any problems with it. put a set of bear claws on it and it did fine in the mud just remeber no low range so dont smoke your belt,it is a very capable quad though

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had 4 Scramblers so far, 2-400's and 2-500's. They are the most fun you can have on a quad. I have an Outlander 800 XT for the muck and skeg, and a Polaris Outlaw IRS for the sand and trails, but they're not as fun as my Scramblers were. In the trails and light mud, they work as well as anything else, but because they don't have low range, you have to be a little more careful in the deep stuff. THey have low ground clearance on the back because they only run a 22" tire, but with a good set of skins, pipe, K&N filter, and a mild clutch kit, you should be able to mash your way through. I ran a set of Swamplites on my last 500, they worked awesome. One of the biggest pluses to the Scrambler is that the rad is nice and open for washing. You can get to all four coners of it without having to tear a bunch of stuff off. Just my 2 cents, but I would dump my Outlaw for a Scrambler any day.

Dylan.B

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got an 08, ive put 80 hours on it so far. its a really fun quad. i have had to replace the rear bearings though, and replace the belt.

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have a 05 scrambler FOR SALE with maby 50-60hrs on it, awsome quad, tones of fun cause they are light and monuverable, easy to throw around. like a sport quad but with 4 wheel drive, ive gone through stuff that the big 4x4s sometime have trouble with you just have to no mind getting muddy. I got epi clutch kit, bear klaw tires, clutch is snorkled, updated year axle, k&N , i think thats it, works pretty good!!!

Mike

fastchevelleg

Reaction score
I love my 99 500 scrammy and would'nt trade it for the world! No shifting, put it in drive and go. The only thing I don't like is the reverse overdrive button....I am blonde so I already have a hard time chewing gum and walking at the same time lol :sun:

94fordguy

Great to hear all the positive input on these machines, Thanks everyone:d:d:beer::beer:

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive got a 05 to great machine,I put dirt bike bars on it though.dont like the feel and stance of the stock ones,besides that the biggest thing to go was I snapped my rear axle,but then again its seen some big air and its alot of wieght comin down.Mines got all the regular mods done to it,Hey Dylan the biggest cause of bearing wear bisedes grease it inproper torgue on the big nut that holds them in,to much or to little.My buddy had the same problem,he went threw 2 sets in 100 hours before realizing the shop he uses didnt have a spanner torque wrench so they were just guessing.he got one we put in new and hasnt had any trouble since.

94fordguy

Well, after the test ride the other day at the lake, and all the positive replies I have received on the subject, I went ahead and picked up the one I was looking at...

Extremely low hour '08 Scrambler 500 4x4:D

It fired right up and runs really strong, no problems getting it to wheelie:eek::D

100_3548.jpg

100_3549.jpg

100_3550.jpg

100_3551.jpg

100_3552.jpg

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Nice. I highly recommend you picking up some new rubber and a spare belt. Royal Distributing is a great on-line place for that stuff. Although you may pay a little more, it is always nice to support your local businesses too.

94fordguy

I just looked up the belt that these things run, nice to know it's only $45 and not $180 like the snowmobile belts are:D

Is it common to 'smoke' a belt like a sled can do... How resilient are these things?

I know I can get over 1,000 miles of hard mountain riding on my snowmobile belts and they are still about as good as new. Will an ATV belt last a couple years (without abusing it) seeing as these things get around on wheels, lol?

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just looked up the belt that these things run, nice to know it's only $45 and not $180 like the snowmobile belts are:D

Is it common to 'smoke' a belt like a sled can do... How resilient are these things?

I know I can get over 1,000 miles of hard mountain riding on my snowmobile belts and they are still about as good as new. Will an ATV belt last a couple years (without abusing it) seeing as these things get around on wheels, lol?

Your Scrambler is more prone to smoking a belt than most other stock quads, just because you don't have a low gear. But if you drive it nice, you shouldn't have too much grief. Just keep in mind that when you get stuck hard, or caught up against a log, don't gun the throttle, just have somebody tug you out, otherwise your belt is done.

Top Bottom