Looking for a piece of scrap or cheap pipe

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For an underground runoff from a downspout. 17' to 18' long. Min ID of 4.25' to max ID of 5". Used the white hardware store stuff, but the thin wall didn't last long. Phoned around looking into steel....shyte be expensive!! Could use thicker walled PVC as well. Waiting to hear back from from one industrial plastic pipe place, but only need one piece and some places have a min order. Any suggestions on places to check with, or anyone have some kicking around?

Thanks.

sledn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For an underground runoff from a downspout. 17' to 18' long. Min ID of 4.25' to max ID of 5". Used the white hardware store stuff, but the thin wall didn't last long. Phoned around looking into steel....shyte be expensive!! Could use thicker walled PVC as well. Waiting to hear back from from one industrial plastic pipe place, but only need one piece and some places have a min order. Any suggestions on places to check with, or anyone have some kicking around?

Thanks.
Aluminum irrigation sprinkler pipe that size is cheap. I have a bunch by Wabamun - 30' lengths

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you can wait till end of month, or near GP I can get you some casing (from a drilling rig) that may be exactly what you need

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get some 304 stainless exhaust tubing and will last you a long time. Or can try metal super market in their off cut section.

Lunch_Box

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also if you want simple Vibrant Performance sells 18" aluminum tubing up to 5" diameter.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Id use black pcv pipe. Home depot doesnt have something?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Aluminum irrigation sprinkler pipe that size is cheap. I have a bunch by Wabamun - 30' lengths
I thought about aluminum but wasn't sure about where I would start looking. Didn't even think irrigation. PM coming your way.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the offers and advice. I'm in Edmonton.

I phoned some scrap metal places but iron just seems pricey for some reason. Plastic/PVC might work but the current plastic didn't survive long. Need a thick wall. It get's covered in crush and patio slabs. Heavy use area. Seems the current pipe didn't like the weight after some time. Figured metal would solve the problem.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinkin ABS would be the ticket maybe? Its heavy wall pretty tough. Its the black plumbing pipe. Maybe not big enough diameter though
from what i remember HD has 4" rigid black pipe for house drains, Check ufa they may have small diameter culvert pipe? irrigation supply should have something, my question is why would you need 5 inch pipe?

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd say go with pvc but make sure it's SDR, plenty thick enough wall and will last as long as your there.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've used ABS for other runs, but this particular run I thought metal would be best as I don't want to have to go through digging up and replacing ever again. Regarding the large ID, I have a fair bit of water feeding this run and I am tying in another pipe.

Appreciate all the fedback!

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
would something like these work ?

Attachments

• 20240630_210641.jpg
    20240630_210641.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 63

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

Did you try San Diego?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
He'd be ready for any rain storm with those puppies.

Popsiclestand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody have any idea where to obtain some cheap or fairly priced large pipe? 24" OD or so? Looking to build a offset smoker, the yoder isn't cutting it anymore.

Top Bottom