Led Strip Lights and Voltage

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
I have purchased 2 packs of LED strip lights from Amazon, there addressable lights so much nicer lights that have more functions.

The lights are WS2811 and I have the SP105E Bluetooth controller. Last night I wired it up and I only have red lights. So on small writing on the light reels package it says Don't Use 5V or 20V power supply

I bought all from BTF lighting through Amazon. I also purchased a Model YU0510 Power supply which stupid amazon says people that purchase the lights you have also get this power supply so I order that which I get and its 5V - 10 A. So Without reading the fine print I set it up and all I have is Red lights, so I do some research and I find that I need 12 V to get the Green and Blue to light up. So with no proper instructions I know roughly what to do here. The SP105E controller is recommended by BTF and today I ordered the 12V - 10A Power supply from amazon / BTF lighting it says for the WS2811 Lighting, I will send the other back as well and tell amazon why. Now Im not a electronics technician just a macgiver, the controller says
  • Safe. DC5V DC12V DC24V wide working voltage, preventing reverse connection of power supply, protecting LED light and controller very well. DC5V WS2812B LED strip, please only use DC5V power adapter. 5.5mmx2.1mm DC power jack
also
  • Insufficient power supply will cause the controller to lose control, the color of the LED strip is frozen, Bluetooth is disconnected . Please note : When you Light up 1 color(red or green or blue or pure white) 0.1W/LED . 2 colors (red+green) 0.2W/LED , 3 colors (red+green+blue=mixed white) 0.3W/LED.If you don't know which power supply can be used for your LED project, you can email us
I'll try emailing but need this ready for BVJ next week.

So Im safe to run the 12V power supply through the box by looking at this..

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have purchased 2 packs of LED strip lights from Amazon, there addressable lights so much nicer lights that have more functions.

The lights are WS2811 and I have the SP105E Bluetooth controller. Last night I wired it up and I only have red lights. So on small writing on the light reels package it says Don't Use 5V or 20V power supply

I bought all from BTF lighting through Amazon. I also purchased a Model YU0510 Power supply which stupid amazon says people that purchase the lights you have also get this power supply so I order that which I get and its 5V - 10 A. So Without reading the fine print I set it up and all I have is Red lights, so I do some research and I find that I need 12 V to get the Green and Blue to light up. So with no proper instructions I know roughly what to do here. The SP105E controller is recommended by BTF and today I ordered the 12V - 10A Power supply from amazon / BTF lighting it says for the WS2811 Lighting, I will send the other back as well and tell amazon why. Now Im not a electronics technician just a macgiver, the controller says
  • Safe. DC5V DC12V DC24V wide working voltage, preventing reverse connection of power supply, protecting LED light and controller very well. DC5V WS2812B LED strip, please only use DC5V power adapter. 5.5mmx2.1mm DC power jack
also
  • Insufficient power supply will cause the controller to lose control, the color of the LED strip is frozen, Bluetooth is disconnected . Please note : When you Light up 1 color(red or green or blue or pure white) 0.1W/LED . 2 colors (red+green) 0.2W/LED , 3 colors (red+green+blue=mixed white) 0.3W/LED.If you don't know which power supply can be used for your LED project, you can email us
I'll try emailing but need this ready for BVJ next week.

So Im safe to run the 12V power supply through the box by looking at this..
need or want?, I would take the extra time and do my homework before buying anything new. I ran into a simular situation when I was changinbg out my old sidewalk lighting. Taking the extra time to do my research payed off .

• Admin

rknight111

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
need or want?, I would take the extra time and do my homework before buying anything new. I ran into a simular situation when I was changinbg out my old sidewalk lighting. Taking the extra time to do my research payed off .
I found a 12V power supply and everything works. I have a 40' pole on the back of my trailer at BJV with LED lights up the pole, Addressable LED's with Carnival lights at the top. Quite the show.

Top Bottom