Hitch hiking and the universal thumb's up

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ryan was asking this morning if I was talking him to a hockey tourny this weekend and I said nope you'll have to hitch hike. At which he stuck out the thumbs up sign.
Soooo. I got to thinking, how the hell did sticking up your thumb be universally accepted as a indication that "iam looking for a ride" ?
How long did the first guy have to stand on the side of the road with his thumb out, while people drove by on the stagecoach thinking WTF is that clown doing????
Think about it.

sumx54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.absoluteadventure.ca
Ryan was asking this morning if I was talking him to a hockey tourny this weekend and I said nope you'll have to hitch hike. At which he stuck out the thumbs up sign.
Soooo. I got to thinking, how the hell did sticking up your thumb be universally accepted as a indication that "iam looking for a ride" ?
How long did the first guy have to stand on the side of the road with his thumb out, while people drove by on the stagecoach thinking WTF is that clown doing????
Think about it.

...and how did it get misinterpreted over the years to mean "I'm OK" when your passing a parked sled on the trail head :confused:

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
...and how did it get misinterpreted over the years to mean "I'm OK" when your passing a parked sled on the trail head :confused:

That one's easy. That was started by me driving past someone brokendown on the trail and trying to hitchhike. Whereby I returned their thumbsup in a mocking mannor, followed by the Bird as I rode up the hill thinking so long loser hahahah.

goodngrubby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think about it.

The first guy to try it was using his middle finger, but after enough people stopped, beat the piss out of him, and broke his fingers, all he had left was the thumb. Turned out to be the winning ticket..

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The first guy to try it was using his middle finger, but after enough people stopped, beat the piss out of him, and broke his fingers, all he had left was the thumb. Turned out to be the winning ticket..

Oh man that made me laugh. thanks grubby that made my day

Top Bottom