forster

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in Forster yesterday saw lots of tracks heading up onto the glacier.

Just a heads up to anyone who does not know the catamount and northstar glaciers are closed to snowmobiling( it is ski touring area). There is no signs anywhere near the trail heading up, but all the west side of the valley is included I believe.

The actual sled area is the east side of the valley and Thunderwater lake area.

Cheers
D

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there a certain time of year that that changes? Always thought after April 15th you were ok to go up there as ski touring had shut down - allegedly that is!

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not gonna say any names, but was up there on family day and were told to go hard anywhere, mostly because of how cooperative the ski people were being, and was back there last weekend and talked to a couple locals at the bottom of thunderwater that were headin up there, so let me know whats up

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
april 15 has always been an unwritten rule, but I believe the closure is year round. I am going to get the real info form the ministry of sport arts tourism this week so I know.

The area is in RK heli ski tenure, but they only use it as a last resort.

Most ski touring people(not companies just people out skiing) are easy to deal with but when the area is totally chewed and there is no more lines for them to get freshies they get pissed.

The RCMP can enforce the closure with fines. Not saying they will for sure.

Anyone could say tear it up, but at the end of the day it is a persons own risk to do so and also risk the fines.

I'm not preaching here just giving a heads up.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I heard the forestry chopper was out on the weekend chasing guys off the glacier.....

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode with a guy once that started swinging his back pak over his head as if he was going to throw up into the chopper blades - chopper leaves pretty quickly when you start doing that!!!! The choppers can get extremely aggresive at trying to get you off there - blades tipped down and coming toward you stuff. However I am not advocating breaking guidelines here that was a different time in my sleddin days.

I rode in with the first guys to find Roger's cabin on Northstar glacier many years ago, after he torched the 'general store' and relocated to the glacier. Nice cabin!! I do stay off there now and even after that time it was always late in the year when we went up ie when the waterfall was almost breaking through with run off. There were no signs clearly displayed in those years - that has changed. Pleading stupidity if you are caught up there will not get you very far!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's must be a few years for sure, lot's of history out here. I've heard stories of draft dodgers building cabins in the bush in the late 60's.

There was a sign at the gas drop area a couple weeks ago, but it was gone on Friday, I think.... didn't look to hard though.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was in Forster yesterday saw lots of tracks heading up onto the glacier.

Just a heads up to anyone who does not know the catamount and northstar glaciers are closed to snowmobiling( it is ski touring area). There is no signs anywhere near the trail heading up, but all the west side of the valley is included I believe.

The actual sled area is the east side of the valley and Thunderwater lake area.

Cheers
D

unless areas are closed for caribou, or it is in a park we do not have to stay out . tenures mean companies have the right to make money off the land. It does not give then exclusive access.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You are correct, but the area is designated as heli ski and ski touring terrain by the Gov. of BC. It is also in RK heli tenure area.

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe it is the only area in BC that has rights for exclusive use for heli Skiing. I attended a Winderemere Valley Snowmobile club meeting once and that came up. It is a really unusual restriction - but legally RK has rights to exclusivity......which in theory means that anyone hiking up there to ski is also in violation. Is that correct pano-dude?

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but on the winter access map from the forestry dept. the area is listed as a ski area, Primarily Heli ski.... I have been wondering about this since I have seen so many tracks up there.

I am going to call the ministry of tourism sport and arts(MOTSA) rep this week to get the official info.

summit889

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I believe it is the only area in BC that has rights for exclusive use for heli Skiing. I attended a Winderemere Valley Snowmobile club meeting once and that came up. It is a really unusual restriction - but legally RK has rights to exclusivity......which in theory means that anyone hiking up there to ski is also in violation. Is that correct pano-dude?

You are sure on this site alot for a guy who never rides anymore.:p

Top Bottom