Fernie conditions?

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks foothills!! I have checked the pass area thread and never noticed Fernie in there..perhaps i should invest in some glasses!! :eek: LOL

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just came back from corbin sunday snowed all day sat and sun snow up to windshield in the meadows what a blast but fills face and helmet roads going home crap didn't get home till midnight

catgnomes

Reaction score
Hey we must've passed ya in there somewhere. We rode out from Inn on the border down to Corbin and waited for the rest of our group while the snow piled up! Must've see a dozen matching (or nearly matching) 3/4tons, mostly grey , with decks or trailers on. It must've piled in 14" over Saturday night there - lots of fresh snow - untracked, the boys broke trail and wore wet white all the way down to the power lines where we found lots of great places to play hard in a fresh bowl or two. 10 of us, so those who followed had a great trail (blunders and all!).
For those of you that haven't stayed the Inn on the Border - I'm not kidding (and I'm not at all related) it was a great time - we sled from the door, rented day 2 (couple of good summits - don't ask why!) and the whole thing was awesome. Great group,great time, great place! Anyone know of anywhere else to sled from the door just to mix it up a bit. We'll definitely do the Inn thing again, but besides the Cheechako cabins at Nordeg (where they haven't seen a lot of snow from what I hear) - I can't think of anywhere else.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went to Fernie ( Wranglers Cabin ) Feb 7,8,9 - the snow was insane - just a ton of snow. Never experienced powder riding like that ever before. It snowed all three days and then blew hard at times ( especially at the Notch ) and you really had to keep your eyes open. We were warnned that the avalache condtions were extreme so we played in the meadows and trees alot. The people of Fernie treated us great and overall it was a great time. The day we left - it was raining in the town - it could be bad if it gets cold enough to freeze a layer of snow.

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey Zar, we rode Fernie those same days! AWESOME snow huh?!? We rode untracked powder out near Butt's creek all day friday which was GREAT and were at wrangler's cabin/notch on sat/sunday. Was stupid windy but sure was stupid fun LOL :D

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Cat Girl Our Group had a good time. Lots of diggin out stuck sleds. Have you ever been to the Rolling Hills ? I have never been there but I heard that it can be tricky to get in and out of the Rolling Hills area ( Steep climbs ). I heard that it is not recommended for in-experienced riders. What is your thoughts ?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Cat Girl Our Group had a good time. Lots of diggin out stuck sleds. Have you ever been to the Rolling Hills ? I have never been there but I heard that it can be tricky to get in and out of the Rolling Hills area ( Steep climbs ). I heard that it is not recommended for in-experienced riders. What is your thoughts ?

Rolling hills has a single track to get in, if the snow is deep like it is right now you might not get too far, the riding is not that hard its like the name rolling hills and meadows but IT is EASY to get lost in there and really there is 2 ways out and thats what makes it tricky especialy in the snowy flat light.
Do you know where the trail head is?
hope that helps ya out and it can be very fun in their:D

ps we are always riding in fernie on sundays and the odd friday.. let me know and I will show ya the Hills

Last edited:

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mr Blaze, we were in rolling hills on sat its not hard to get into at all, we had guy never rode mountains with us and he did alright (lots of stucks! :D ) Just my opinion here but if you can go to the notch you all would be A-OK in rolling hills :)It does all sorta look the same though and i agree it is probably very easy to get lost, nice riding though I would take up that offer to be shown around!!

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mr Blaze and Cat Girl not sure I will make another mountian trip to Fernie this year but I will eventually like to try the rolling hills next year. I bought a trail map from Ghostriders Motorsports and I will study the map to find the trail head. I agree that where a person can go - depends on the conditions ( the snow, lighting conditions and temperature ). I have been down the pipeline on perfect days when a 250 Elan could make it to the Notch but on Thursday a M1 800 151 was struggling to get there. The snow was deep and it was hard to see at times ( I didn't want to drive into a creek or a ditch that I couldn't see because of the flat light )

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to be in Fernie during Spring Break...between March 29 to April 6th? Anyone riden the Hartley Creek trail this year? Have they been grooming the Mirresy and Coal Creek trails into Rolling Hills?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone going to be in Fernie during Spring Break...between March 29 to April 6th? Anyone riden the Hartley Creek trail this year? Have they been grooming the Mirresy and Coal Creek trails into Rolling Hills?

not too sure about hartley creek trail but Morrissey is groomed on a regular bassis and I am pretty sure coal creek is maintained as well. there is a tonne of snow out there this year, they have already recieved their average anual snow fall, so spring riding will go into June this year.:D

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not too sure about hartley creek trail but Morrissey is groomed on a regular bassis and I am pretty sure coal creek is maintained as well. there is a tonne of snow out there this year, they have already recieved their average anual snow fall, so spring riding will go into June this year.:D

Thanks. We have friends that live their (non Sledders) so no reprots from them other than the amount of snow. One friend is originally a San Francisco girl. Before they moved to Fernie we would scare her with stories of the amount of snow Fernie gets. She hasn't see it till this year due to the lower than average the last couple, and can't believe how much they have. Fun!

So Morrissey is being groomed. Last year it seemed they were not grooming frequently at all. I asked Paul at Ghostrider to send someone out one night and that he did. We got over a foot of snow in the morning and my wife and I were first ones up the trail to Rolling Hills. It was amazing.

Top Bottom