Family in the Forces.

Captjacksparrow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my Dad in the Navy in WWII. He was just 18 when this pic was taken.
We will never forget. If anyone else has pics of family or friends in the Armed Forces feel free to post here.
This was 1944.

Attachments

• Dad, in the Navy.jpg
    Dad, in the Navy.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:

britt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had four Uncles in WWII, they seen some ugly stuff. They all came back but my mom said they went over as boys and came back harden old men. One Uncle was hurt pretty bad when he ran his motorbike into a tank during night manouvers just a few weeks before the D-Day invasion, maybe that accident saved his life later on in the war? I would try to get some of them to talk about their experiences but they would not speak about it that often.

Britt

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Grandpa served. He was an officer. He spoke of Italy alot but not the other places. My Dad was in the Navy too, I have a similar pic somewhere. He was out of Vancouver.

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WIll find my grandfaher's pic and post. AT a family reunion a few years back, his aunt gave me a journal he kept when he was away serving. Some pretty sweet things they gave me, which I did not even know existed !!!

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
one of my moms uncles served. was at the beach in normandy. didnt talk nmuch about it but he did say as canadiens we didn't get recognized like we should have. saved the americans azzes in that one. with out the canadiens there he said the world would be alot different today.

SledMamma

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both my Grandpas served in the war. My mom spent the first years of her life on a base in Germany.

My other Grandpa was a pilot. He was home on leave when he met my Grandma at a dance on the base. They dated for a week, but both knew it would go nowhere bcz Grandpa was slated to go to the Pacific Theatre (Japan) at the end of his leave. Meanwhile, they bombed Hiroshima and effectively ended the war. My Grandpa was reassigned to the base in Canada and his romance was able to continue. Grandma and Grandpa soon married, had three boys and headed west to BC in the years that followed.

My family would not exist if they hadn't dropped that bomb-- it's an eerie thought..

Mare

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Father was an aircraft mechanic in WW2 and my Mother was a cook in WW2. My parents never spoke about it, so I never knew. Not until many years after their death, did I find this out. But I do remember seeing medals in my Dad's draw when I was little. My older Sister has them now.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My Grandfather ,,,,,,,,WWll!
catmando!
This was taken the day he left!

Attachments

• PB110003_01.jpg
    PB110003_01.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 91

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We did not have any family members in WW2. My great uncle Archie Cameron served all 4 years in WW1. He ended up with a steel plate in his head and surviving the mustard gas attacks. I remember visiting him before he passed away in 1964. He also would not talk about the war. The wife and I went to the memorial service in town today. We owe these heros everything.

JayBec

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No family, but alot of friends currently in,have heard some stories, alot of which the media tones down quite a bit, when it is actually worse than what we hear an see...We owe them alot more than a moment of silence, but its a PRETTY respectfull start to what they actually deserve, by giving us what we have today and look forward tomorrow...

JayBec

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did anyone watch the program " We will Remember" on t.v last night, it was quite intense, few times got a little teary eyed....the stories were absolutely amazing, the one that sticks in my head ( towards end of show)was the girl who was on leave, visited her mom, walked in every room and looked at all the pictures and says " Mom, i dont know if ill ever make it back here", and she was killed on her next tour...

bubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I watched that last night too...had me choking up a few times as well. Never put alot of thought into what they actually are doing over there and deal with on a daily basis. That's gonna change.

rubirose

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
My family is from Holland and suffered through the German occupation. My parents were just little kids. My Dad told me this year that his Dad(my Grandfather) was taken away twice by the Germans ,forced onto a train that took young men way south towards the German border for work detail. Both times my Grandfather and his buddy jumped from the train and walked home, took a few days because they had to hide from the Germans that were roaming around the countryside. They all survived okay but not much was ever said about going through the war, although my parents will talk. My Mom's Dad hated the German people up to the day he died.I also heard stories that they had been hiding Jews in their attic but am not 100% sure if this is true.

Top Bottom