Crowsnest conditions?

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on the current conditions around Crowsnest. Thinking of heading down this weekend. Never ridden there so not really sure of the best areas to go. Any help would be great.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
Was out on the weekend, Saturday was good leaving from Fernie, but with the warm weather the trails where beat up really bad by the end of the day, you'll have to check with Ghostrider motorsports to see if they will be doing further grooming. We tried heading south out of Blairmore on Sunday but ended up loading the sleds back up. We began melting hifax and overheating sleds within a mile of the trailer, to much hard pack. They need lots of fresh snow before it will be decent again.

poorboy

Reaction score
went sat and sunday trails groomed but need some fresh most of hotels have trail maps for sale and mountain memories has info and conditions onthier website

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on the current conditions around Crowsnest. Thinking of heading down this weekend. Never ridden there so not really sure of the best areas to go. Any help would be great.
Better if you go to the Kootenay Pass ...south. Or drive 1/2 hour further and play on east facing slopes of the Alexander.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never ridden in the south so unsure of where to go. The only thing that I am sure of is that the only trails I want to see are those that go to the alpine

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never ridden in the south so unsure of where to go. The only thing that I am sure of is that the only trails I want to see are those that go to the alpine

Alexander it is then 9 bowls off of 1 trail.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alexander it is then 9 bowls off of 1 trail.

where do you stage for the 9 bowls on one trail, is there only one spot or a few, how long is the trail ride in, I have been wanting to check it out, I think we are going this sunday

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where do you stage for the 9 bowls on one trail, is there only one spot or a few, how long is the trail ride in, I have been wanting to check it out, I think we are going this sunday
MAP ........ Alexander Creek Quad Squad ........ Web page.

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i guess just go to the main staging area for atlas and is there any specific trail or turns a good should look for.
thx
If you go to the Atlas area you need to use Deadmans Pass. Stay on the highway past the Chinook Turn off to Atlas, Cross into B.C. Go by the Scales, Cross Alexander Creek your first right turn {comes up quick after the bridge} to the gun range it's only 75 yards off the highway. Stage there if theres snow higher if not. I will try to load up gps waypoints and post them. From there you can ride to Elkford on to the Bull River or back to Cattaract Creek. Take 500 gallons of fuel if you attempt it. The best riding is in the Alexander Valley imo.Carry avy equip we saw 3 BIG slides in GOAT 2 weeks ago. Trail can be brutal no groomer.........................But ooooooohhhhhhh soooooo worth it. ENJOY. Stagging area is small so get there early. If you go on the weekend and the white Ford with a forestry flag on it is there Say Hi to Henry.He has a cabin in there and named and mapped the entire Valley.Knowing him is GOLD. If that area is full go down the road to the Corbin Townsite and ride down the Flathead ride the pass back into West Castle {Alta} It's pretty hard core and lots of fun TAKE GAS. RIDE SAFE.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Man
I meant to say Alexander! not Atlas
describe Alexander for me thx

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry Man
I meant to say Alexander! not Atlas
describe Alexander for me thx

First couple of pics that I posted in the the Kootenay section are of Sheep basin. I actually threw a big snow ball at the warden and hit her right in the goggles, she tipped, then I got yelled at for a long time:realmad:

The Alexander Valley is mix of cutblocks.some on grade some on switch backs. It has 9 alpine basins,Henry says there is 11 but I have only riden 9.The trail in can be very rough. Some of the basins will take 4 guys all day to chew up some not so much. Some of the chutes are top less and one way pick good lines cuz some are steep. The two I believe I can explain the best to get you to are Sheep and Goat. After you leave the stagging area run down the trail till you come up to a major Y it's a good distance from the unload area. This is a logging road not a game trail. Take the left arm and ride it to the gas well head, turn back the way you came to the well site about 100 yards look for a single trail going left up into the trees ,this will take you to Sheep..............To go to Goat go back to the well head look around the raised site you will see a single trail on its north east side , keep making rights. This area is extreme steep and deep few people go in there in the winter. If you go please be very careful look up all the time, I have seen the slides fill the canyon bottom. If I can fiqure a way to discribe the other directions I will do so. This weekend we are in Revy next weekend in Alexander or Flathead if you like you can come with us if we go to the Alexander. Hope this helps have a good trip. STAY SAFE.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It looks like I will be probably going down that way on Friday riding Saturday for sure but may need a buddy for Sunday. I will be staying in High River. Anyone got room for a tag along on Sunday if my riding buddy falls through? He may have to go back out to the patch on Sunday. I haven't ridden since early February so you probably get the message.

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It looks like I will be probably going down that way on Friday riding Saturday for sure but may need a buddy for Sunday. I will be staying in High River. Anyone got room for a tag along on Sunday if my riding buddy falls through? He may have to go back out to the patch on Sunday. I haven't ridden since early February so you probably get the message.

we are 100% riding some where in the south on sunday if you like you can join us, maybe west castle, or fernie somehere, but might wait on Alexander and let snotrocket show me around next sunday.

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
only going to ride now on Friday and Saturday. Any snow reports on Fernie?

summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ended up riding Corbin today. Spring conditions all around. The trail was brutal on the ride out but otherwise a good day. We found lots of untracked and not another soul in the area we were riding. First time there so couldn't explain where it was other than the mail trail went right and we went left through a single track trail the climbed up through the trees into a series of about 3 successive bowls and a couple of nice ridges to play on. Everyone else that went that way was hell bent on getting to the climbs and left us with the untracked in the trees and ridges to play on. Lots of sign of small Avy's coming down in areas where there were some tracks from past climbs.

Play safe everyone.

Top Bottom