Broken Bolt Out

powderhoundbrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a bolt break on me last night on my motorbike while I was changing the oil. Stud broke and the rest of the bolt is on the block. I have had lots of broken bolts over my life and I generally have had no luck at all with easy outs. Reverse drill bits seems to work better but not always.

SOOOOO any suggestions or tricks out there I need to know about to get this stubborn bolt out?

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Had a bolt break on me last night on my motorbike while I was changing the oil. Stud broke and the rest of the bolt is on the block. I have had lots of broken bolts over my life and I generally have had no luck at all with easy outs. Reverse drill bits seems to work better but not always.

SOOOOO any suggestions or tricks out there I need to know about to get this stubborn bolt out?

I've always used easy outs with admitted limited success, however the larger the diameter of the bolt the easier they work. Drill the biggest hole you can of course, use lubricant and heat if needed as well. Really no easy way out though. Good luck.

Ive also drilled completely throught the bolt and retapped a new thread with great success. :d

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Take the bike to a machinist and let him get it out. If your like me you will make a total mess of it on your own. They have lots of good tools and techniques to get them out.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reverse drill bits and easy outs,apply some heat if you need to melt the loctitie.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a company that runs tools in Oil and Gas pipelines. Our fasteners often get embrittled by H2S while in the pipeline. This leads to a lot of broken off bolts. The best luck we've had is with the .

As PB800 says though make sure you know when you're beat and take it to the professionals before you make a mess. The machine shop that I deal with has a machine that will electrically 'burn' broken off screws out in about 10 hours leaving the a host piece and threads undamaged.

gm3d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been doing this stuff for years an the only extractor to use is the Snap On set. They are a spiral extractor that tights as you turn. Drill dead center, by using a center punch and if you have to, grind theface of the bolt flat and then center punch it. DON'T RUSH. Sometimes the little bit of heat is good too. Good luck!

Top Bottom