Athabasca Sand Dunes/Six Lakes

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that is the Richardson sand dunes near ft McMurray. ItS a long ride in just to get to the dunes as thre is no roads in

Riverjet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No helmets, beer, flying through an area where people are stopped doesn't = smart!

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a gorgeous area. Been up there camping lots but before there was a trail cut into the dunes. Busy place on long weekends and lots of vehicles get broke into at the staging area. It's a 100 km ride to 6 lakes from the old staging area. Be cautious of drop offs at the dunes.

Murminator

Timber King
Reaction score
Take chainsaw to clear the trail that area burnt in the big fire last year

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have another beer dick wads, too bad they wreck for others. I heard the federalies go in there???

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beautiful place to go for a trip been there lots. There are a number of lakes i.e. 6 lakes, jackson's hole, net lake, whale lake, herb lake also two sets of sand dunes, one you can't fide on heavy fines if your ever caught, second set we opened up a number of years ago, fair number of weekend warriors go out full tilt and forget to check for drop off's then end up calling for air medivac.

98 clicks to 6 lakes by quad from the staging area and you can camp on both sides of the lake. As others have mentioned there are a fair number of break in's on the vehicles in the staging area, almost like going to Valmont......

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cops and fish cops have always gone in there for the last 20 years i've been going there. Fish and game have a tower that's staffed all summer long. Not unusual to see quads with gov tags on the Lic plates all you have to do is look.

On any given long weekend during the summer there are between 250 and 350 quads in the area, it's so big you hardly run into people except on the main road in.
Have another beer dick wads, too bad they wreck for others. I heard the federalies go in there???

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Posted this early today on fort mac snow condition forum. I've been riding this area for the last 20 years. finally started riding it on sleds last year.

Attachments

• Richardson_Backcountry_Map.jpg
    Richardson_Backcountry_Map.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 303
  • richardsonbackcoutry,lakes.jpg
    richardsonbackcoutry,lakes.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 311

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'm bored today so i dug up some pictures from my ride at the dunes in 2001.

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 251

Black08Brute

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to get to lake athabasca on ATV, I know there is a trail/cutline south of richardson Lake some where but not positive.

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you would care to PM me your Email Address I will try to help you with this trail, can it be done ???? I have lots of Mapping software, and with the help of Google Earth, and a few Air Photos, there is a Trail.

Bruce.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to get to lake athabasca on ATV, I know there is a trail/cutline south of richardson Lake some where but not positive.

After the Richardson head to the Maybell been to Lake Athabasca 6 times, just be careful crossing the Maybell if the water is high.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you come upon a grave yard in the middle of no where your on the right trail. There's a small settlement after the grave yard at edge of lake athabasca. A friend who has been there a couple times on atv was taking me there on our sleds this winter but we didnt make it all the way due to a section of fallen burnt trees we turned around. We made half way from maybell to the lake before we turned around. It was still do able the trees were small but we were also running out of sunlight. If you we camping up there in the summer you could make it no problem.

Attachments

• Net Lake 013 - Copy.jpg
    Net Lake 013 - Copy.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 173

AB RANGER 007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey dale dalueg and also Fallen, do you have this on GPS, preferable Garmin MapSource, but I will take whatever you have got.???

Bruce.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have it on GPS. I just happened to be with people that know the area really well. I'll talk to some friends and see if they have it.

Top Bottom