Apex engine build up questions.???

mike booooast!!!

Reaction score
im upgrading my boondoker turbo set up as we speek by twinning my rebuilt gt2554 to my new gt2871 for quick spool times and cooler running temps, i have the engine apart and looking at corrillo rods and J&E pistons as well as valve springs, im not sure if its better to remove the original headshim from the boondocker kit, what compression ratio do i use for pistons and what i upgrade the valve springs to. thx. mike any help would be apretiated.

MRFUSION

Reaction score
Hi Mike, for starters go with the JE low comp pistons and ditch the head shim. The 2871 turbo is 2 steps up from your 2554, it all depends on the boost you want to run. The 2860 will be a little faster on building boost and is efficient up to approx 20psi, where the 2871 will go into the mid 20 for boost but all depends on how much you want to run. There is the problem of your injectors too, and what altitude with what boost. You might have to oversize yours which will mean some playing around with your controller on the bottom end. I run the Boondocker box and like it. You can pm me if you like and I will give you my # with some suggestions. You shouldnt need valve springs but should run ARP studs while you are there. JE pistons, ARP studs and Carillo rods are a nice package. Good luck, awesome engine. Shad

mike booooast!!!

Reaction score
hey there sorry for the loooooong over due reply, im still currently building my apex for the up and coming winter, i went with the 10-1 j&e pistons, corrilo rods, APE studs, i also upgraded my exhaust and intake valve springs to kibble white's with titanium keepers and seats just for piece of mind at the higher rpm, i switched out my intake cam for the rx1 intake cam as alpine adviced, i went with the gt 2871 from alpine along with the boost it kit. im currently putting the engine back together, i balanced my pistons exactly perfect along with the rods as they actually varied. i had to hone my block larger by just over a thow just to be perfect for what j&e wanted for piston skurt clearance. i have the boost it kit, not installed yet other than the welded boss in my intercooler for my additional 4 injectors. chad at cr dropped and rolled my bulk head for me and machined my secondary down to clear the new bearings, i got a 174x16x3 paddle for it and a set of avid drivers, i still have lots more to do to it including additional fuel system upgrades and tuning i have some pictures to upload soon, just getting back into snow and mud. im still kinda interested in building a twin turbo set up though. what you think?

Top Bottom