Anyone been to Kakwa falls lately?

Indy245

Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has been into Kakwa falls lately? Was thinking of taking the family there this weekend. Wondering how the trail is from the staging area, just past the airstrip in and of course how the road is getting there.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
@RXN posted pictures, they were in there last weekend.

Weyerhaeuser is supposed to be doing work to the road, applying calcium from 114 to 145 I believe.

I'd be a little hesitant with the weather right now though, there's still snowpack in the mountains and with the rain we are supposed to get the next few days brings the chance the creeks and rivers could rise.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has been into Kakwa falls lately? Was thinking of taking the family there this weekend. Wondering how the trail is from the staging area, just past the airstrip in and of course how the road is getting there.

This was on Saturday. Road is rough
Lots of places to camp.
What are you driving in?
Pack a radio. There is active log trucks on that road.
Trail in was good. Some water holes on the right leg of the loop. The left leg is super easy. We came back that way.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
@RXN what were the Fuzz wanting? 😂
Random checks.
Checking for insurance, registration and mandatory breathalyzer tests.(at least until they realized how big our group was). So I'm not sure how many had to provide a breathalyzer. Being the lead jeep I had to. Sounds like they just did the 1st bunch of our group and determined the rest were good.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, first I’ve heard that they bring a breathalyzer in the bush.
It's probably becoming more and more common..... I know a couple years back there was a big sting setup during sled season up there and they were breathalizing everyone.

Reactions: zal

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hmmm im 100k down the 2 lakes road and cant say i have heard about a breathalyzer lately in the area

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Kakwa trail is regularly patrolled by Conservation Officers on SxS or ATV, I've been stopped almost every time I've been out there in the summer. They stay at the Alberta Parks cabin at Deadhorse Meadows, and typically patrol a few miles either side. Unfortunately there's been enough incidents where alcohol was believed to be a factor that breathalyzers are now common place at check stops, and every time they stop someone with alcohol in their system it further justifies their use.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone who has spent any time out in Kakwa knows there is to much alcohol consumed at times making the trail unsafe for all. Glad to see some patrolling.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last year there were giving breathalyzer tests to all drivers coming and going on the ANC road by Fox Creek. During the peak traffic in the winter. First time I have seen it.

Got boost want snow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The trail is actually busier in winter with sledders! But summer has alway been steady out there. Used to be if you went for a week vacation out there you saw very few people, now quite a bit busier.

Indy245

Reaction score
Last weekend was too wet for a SXS to get in there. River was pretty big. Doubt 4x4s trucks were going to cross. Spotted 5 blacks and 1 grizz. Saw a pile of SXS going in when we were leaving. Awesome road getting in and the trail was pretty cool. Neat seeing it in the summer (But oh so slow going, lol). F&W had a big presence out there, didn’t get stopped but not worried about that.

Anyone have an update this weekend? (July 6th)

(Thanks GMC for taking the cig plug out of the new truck so I can’t run my radio in it, Wife had to call in/out in her truck)

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, first I’ve heard that they bring a breathalyzer in the bush.
Not surprised to this to say the least, with those breathalyzers being the size of a thermo gun there pretty small and can be holstered or in a carry pocket no problem, and then add on those hard little poly tubes and they are very light/compact and very accurate. You get to keep the tube though after use lol! ;) (On a side note as well, those compact breathalyzers also have the capability to analyze for thc as well, encountered this first hand many a time's on DOT wave in's and are mandatory as well)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: zal

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not surprised to this to say the least, with those breathalyzers being the size of a thermo gun there pretty small and can be holstered or in a carry pocket no problem, and then add on those hard little poly tubes and they are very light/compact and very accurate. You get to keep the tube though after use lol! ;) (On a side note as well, those compact breathalyzers also have the capability to analyze for thc as well, encountered this first hand many a time's on DOT wave in's and are mandatory as well)
How come they get to have plastic straws for that and we get stuck with paper for everything else. Lol

Top Bottom