Anyone been in Chapel

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking to head down to Chapel on Thrus the 1st of March... Has anyone been in in the last few days...how is the trail??? When its groomed its great but when its not its a 22km a$$ kicker!

Thanks for any info

D

disappointed

We were in on Saturday - very disappointed in Valemount - NEVER going back! Apparently they groom on Thursday, so you might be okay - the trail is sure hell - in fact I lost my sled off the bank on the way down - the mogals were four times that of a regular speed bump!

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
WOW that sounds pretty bad... I have been in when its pretty rough but it makes the way out so hard on the body after a long day...

D

disappointed

I think overall the grooming has gone down hill - ALPINE RENTALS is who looks after it - but I think they are just their to rip off the visitors! There are groomers at every hill but they only groom once per week apparently - no worries taking your money at the bottom - not much to pay for a trip of hell - however, the snow on top is beyond amazing!!

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats too bad. In Mcbride they groomed Renshaw friday and saturday. they also groomed lucille friday and did not need to do it on saturday as the trail was awsome.

Depsnolvr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shifty, I heard you hurt you knee, that blows. Heal up fast dude

The grooming in Valemount is actually the best it has been in years, although they only groom Chappel once a week(charge for 2 days afterward) due to the expense. People who love Chappel ride it for the snow. The best areas I have ridden have also been the worst trails, after all its mountain riding !

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think overall the grooming has gone down hill - ALPINE RENTALS is who looks after it - but I think they are just their to rip off the visitors! There are groomers at every hill but they only groom once per week apparently - no worries taking your money at the bottom - not much to pay for a trip of hell - however, the snow on top is beyond amazing!!

They groom the most where there is the most traffic,they groom Allen and Clemina Fri Sat and Sun. and during the week,not sure what days.This is something thay have not always done.The reason I say that is not only have they updated there groomers but have also increased the days they groom.If you want to be a hardcore backcountry rider you should not expect a paved highway everytime you jump on your sled for a measly 15.00 bucks.For 15.00 bucks I would not think twice about heading into the Valemount areas wheather the trails are groomed or not.I like to think the trails are groomed for my wife and the other ladies so as not to deter them from returning although I think if I use one groomed trail on a weekend I have easily got my money's worth.The money goes in a lot more directions than the grommer.I'm sorry to hear your so dissapointed everytime you get on here because me and all of my buddies consider Valemount to be an awsome sledding spot.I wriite this because stories like yours are rare(dising the whole town).
catmando!:nono:

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that when we went last year the trail at Clemina was Groomed Friday night and then we met the groomer coming up on Saturday evening. These guys are as subject to mechanical breakdown and staffing problems as anyone else
Any comments I have heard on Vinnie at Alpine rentals have been positive until now I know guys that have been at his shop until the wee hours in the morning getting stuff fixed and when my buddy busted up his 1000 summit here at home Alpine had the parts (that couldn't be found in the Edmonton area) and sent them on the bus same day for pretty much retail plus shipping.
Can't say much about the tow truck operator except that if the guys around here have to go off the pavement(Lease roads or whatever) it seems that their price doubles or triples.
All that being said, I wouldn't wish the trip you had on anyone.
Just don't judge the whole area by one trip.

VARDA Grooming Schedule

Wednesday: Allan and Clemina Creek

Thursday: Chappell Creek

Friday: Allan and Clemina Creek

Saturday: Allan and Clemina Creek

Sunday: Allan and Clemina Creek

WARNING ! Due to emergencies, equipment malfunction and unforseen circumstances, the grooming schedule may be altered without immediate notice.

Last updated Mar 01/07

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I have to give a huge thanks to the boys at Alpine Country... Mark for sure. He is the only one I have work on my sled and he has been nothing but amazing for me, from the blown motor to little clutch tweaks so my sled is not only ready the next day but running better than I expect.

Thanks Alot for all you do for us Vinnie, Mark and the rest of the boys in the shop.

Top Bottom