ADV bikes

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting an ADV bike as a second bike I have an Electra glide CVO but would like a bike I can ride on gravel/back country roads and paved roads. Thinking more of a street bike type vs dirt ie duel sport. Thinking Africa twin Suzuki Versey that type of bike possibly a Euro bike ie Ducati, BMW, Triumph but not sure on the reliability of these might be money pits with high part prices. I should mention I would be buying used. Anyone have any of these bikes have any comment's thoughts.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out the 14+Vstrom 1000. Can be had cheap and they are decent. If you want to chase crotch rockets look at the 1290 Adventure...It's like asking for a sandwich, so many different kinds all biased one way or the other. If your a HD fan, go ride a Pan America.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check out the 14+Vstrom 1000. Can be had cheap and they are decent. If you want to chase crotch rockets look at the 1290 Adventure...It's like asking for a sandwich, so many different kinds all biased one way or the other. If your a HD fan, go ride a Pan America.
I had a KLR 650. Good bike to get your feet wet. As far as the Harley Davidson Panama. Absolutely thrilling bike to ride 150 hp. Handles great. Safe a 180km an hour down gravel roads no problem.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Yamaha Super Tenere 1200ES, they come with handwarmers, cruise control, electronic suspension, shaft drive etc. Its a little more street orientated than the Africa Twin.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a '23 Africa Twin, Adventure Sports model with the DCT trans. It also has cruise, electronic suspension, heated handgrips, 6.6 gallon fuel tank, and tubeless wheels. Rode the Ultra Classic up to AK in '22, decided to get an ADV bike to do the Dempster and the Dalton. Rode it up both this past June, bike was great. No regrets.

The AT from 2020 and up have a ten year warranty on the touch screen display, no matter if you are original owner or 10th owner. Had mine replaced on warranty after the touch screen stopped responding.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a '23 Africa Twin, Adventure Sports model with the DCT trans. It also has cruise, electronic suspension, heated handgrips, 6.6 gallon fuel tank, and tubeless wheels. Rode the Ultra Classic up to AK in '22, decided to get an ADV bike to do the Dempster and the Dalton. Rode it up both this past June, bike was great. No regrets.

The AT from 2020 and up have a ten year warranty on the touch screen display, no matter if you are original owner or 10th owner. Had mine replaced on warranty after the touch screen stopped responding.
How do you like the auto, was it strange at first?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you like the auto, was it strange at first?
Yes, very weird. Kept squeezing the manual upshift flipper thinking it was the clutch. Been riding dirt and moto since I was a kid, definitely a learning curve. But once you get onto it, and find the shift mode you like, the thing is a rocket. The only downside I can report from my experience is you can't wheelie it through multiple gears. Well, I can't...yet. It also has a sh!tload of nanny electronics, front and rear ABS, traction control, and wheelie control all with varying amounts of settings. I bought a dongle from an outfit called LSK Electronics that shuts everything completely off, other than front ABS, with a press of a button on the left control pod. Much better.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rented a couple BMWs last year the 750GS and 850GS both are very nice bikes and handle extremely nimble.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay away from the some of the KTM's these days, they are having camshaft issues. I have 2 friends with BMW's and they are nice bikes but just aren't as reliable as the Japanese units. If there isn't a dealer close the BMW's are a pain. Guys I know have to haul the bikes to Edmonton for warranty, and to keep the warranty the dealer has to do all the servicing. Honda and Yamaha just requires receipts showing the use of their oil and filters with mileage recorded in the manual and the warranty is unaffected by doing your maintenance.

brokenbones4

Reaction score
I just bought a 23 vstrom 1050de, my other choice was the bmw f900gs, price was about equal but servicing, parts and proven reliability made the suzuki more appealing. But damn that bmw is nice!

mxzguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input all the bikes suggested sound awesome but was looking for something a bit more budget friendly. Found a 08 Buell Ulysses at a great price going to put some adventure tires on it should do what I am looking for. Taking a bit of a chance as parts down the road might be an issue but maintenance parts are still available. It’s a fun bike to ride and people say they are reliable so will see.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, very weird. Kept squeezing the manual upshift flipper thinking it was the clutch. Been riding dirt and moto since I was a kid, definitely a learning curve. But once you get onto it, and find the shift mode you like, the thing is a rocket. The only downside I can report from my experience is you can't wheelie it through multiple gears. Well, I can't...yet. It also has a sh!tload of nanny electronics, front and rear ABS, traction control, and wheelie control all with varying amounts of settings. I bought a dongle from an outfit called LSK Electronics that shuts everything completely off, other than front ABS, with a press of a button on the left control pod. Much better.
How heavy is that thing? Sounds like a half ton pickup

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Adventure Sports model with DCT is 529 lbs. Lighter than everything else in it's class of 1000cc plus ADV bikes.
DCT model is 558lbs but still on the light side compared to most 1000+cc bikes. My 2023 SuperTenere ES 1200 is like 584lbs, but I don't know if that includes the hard pannier cases or not, they do come with the bike.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DCT model is 558lbs but still on the light side compared to most 1000+cc bikes. My 2023 SuperTenere ES 1200 is like 584lbs, but I don't know if that includes the hard pannier cases or not, they do come with the bike.
You're right, I posted weight for the non DCT model. Honda claims a dry weight of 551 for the 2023 DCT. With myself and gear loaded I weighed in at just over 900 lbs.

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're right, I posted weight for the non DCT model. Honda claims a dry weight of 551 for the 2023 DCT. With myself and gear loaded I weighed in at just over 900 lbs.
its pretty wild that once your moving on these things the weight seems to disappear

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its pretty wild that once your moving on these things the weight seems to disappear
Kind of like a Harley, but with a way higher center of gravity. I've only dumped mine twice loaded, both times were while stopped ffs. They fall a lot further lol.

Top Bottom