A/C compressor replacement advice

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A/C compressor clutch on wifes car seized up. I do not think there is any internal damage to the compressor, just the clutch issue. However the compressor got really hot. Shop I have it at want to replace the receiver/drier and evaporator expansion valve at the same time. That's an additional 4.5 hours labor! 3.5 hours for the evaporator expansion valve alone. I understand that you might want to do those added parts if the compressor had an internal failure creating small metal fragments....but... Thoughts?

I'm also concerned with the cost of the parts. Everything they have quoted I can get from Rock Auto or Parts Avatar for 1/3 the quote price. That's OEM parts. I understand they want to make money on parts as well, but really. Thoughts?

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you been working on it? How do you know that the compressor is ok?

Where is it at now?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you been working on it? How do you know that the compressor is ok?

Where is it at now?
I don't really. Did an initial look through. Clutch is messed up, but it seems the compressor itself still spins. It was towed to a local shop here in Edmonton, not too far from home.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typically I would, but don't have the vac system for the refrigerant.

Maybe find another shop then. Telling shops how much things are supposed to cost might not work out too well.

Thats just my thoughts though.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You took it to a shop now bend over. Sorry but that's the reality. At best you find a shop you trust with a shop rate that is $30-50/hr cheaper than the dealer so you know they aren't selling you chit you don't need but you're still bending over. Even a good account at the local parts house chain won't touch Rockauto prices. IMO you need to adjust your expectations or do the work yourself. I used to do all my own work but don't have time anymore so I have a shop I trust and bend over when needed.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats probably what your customers think when you send them a bill lol

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only reason to change everything is so then if something craps out in a week can be warranty.
Replacing the one item, and if there is debris inside will take out whole system.

Tell them just replace the one and take the chances.
Ama members get 10% off at napa. Or say you work at the local GM dealership and get "cost"

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Called a couple other friend/family recommended shops, one with a 4.8 Google review (if that means anything). They said usually they just replace the compressor, and the drier, as it acts like a filter.

At least it's not the dealer, would cost twice as much and they would be trying to get me into a new car.

Hate going through this shite....

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If the compressor got too hot to hold your hand on, it’s done. Replace everything or keep repairing it every 3 months for eternity. I’m a commercial / industrial refrig tech and have cheaped out in the past on my own vehicles. Never again, change everything the shop listed.

broke'n'nuts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Changing receiver/dryer is usually always recommended when opening up A/C system as that's your filter. It shouldn't be to bad to get at. The expansion valve is where they trying to cover there a$$. If the compressor failed, I'm ok with dryer change. If compressor grenades and blew crap through the system it's their way of eliminating any issues and making sure it doesn't come back. If just clutch packed it in. Compressor and dryer.....

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The last expansion valve I changed on a car cost $18 and took less than 5 minutes, on a Subaru. It’s the cheapest part of the whole system.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Changing receiver/dryer is usually always recommended when opening up A/C system as that's your filter. It shouldn't be to bad to get at. The expansion valve is where they trying to cover there a$$. If the compressor failed, I'm ok with dryer change. If compressor grenades and blew crap through the system it's their way of eliminating any issues and making sure it doesn't come back. If just clutch packed it in. Compressor and dryer.....
Yeah, some other reputable shops I called said much the same. Usually compressor and dryer change only...unless compressor had major failure. This was just the clutch by all accounts so went with new compressor and dryer. To get to the expansion valve on this car it sounds like much of the car has to come apart for access.

Top Bottom