2016 m8000 best upgrades?

PNWsledman

Reaction score
I just picked up a 2016 m8 ltd for CHEAP with 1500km. Whats the best upgrades/mods you would do in order of importance? Stock besides jaws trail can and cfr bars/riser. Been considering the 21/49 bdx gearing to help with track speed. Thoughts? I know a drop and roll with 8t drivers would be ideal but would prefer not to sink a bunch of money into the sled. Also want to do the protectair intake filter and temp sensor relocation.

Last edited:

Levithan

Reaction score
Clutch kit would be best and isn't a ton of money.
Yes running boards would be good but are not cheap at all.
You already have the bars and riser as well as a can. Not much else on the cheaper side

PNWsledman

Reaction score
Clutch kit would be best and isn't a ton of money.
Yes running boards would be good but are not cheap at all.
You already have the bars and riser as well as a can. Not much else on the cheaper side
Any experience with the pind running board inserts? So far the best option i can find for the money. Also any suggestions for a good set of knee pads for decents? Find my knees always take a beating.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
21/49 gearing is an awesome upgrade and a hyvo chain and steel bottom sprocket setup from venom is super reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any experience with the pind running board inserts? So far the best option i can find for the money. Also any suggestions for a good set of knee pads for decents? Find my knees always take a beating.
Boards will save your knees. You’re not kicking ice all day. My Cats are terrible as far as boards go. if you like moving your feet stock boards make crazy ice.

For knee pads. A $50 set of fox racing knee/chin pads protect awesome. Way less restrictive than braces.

PNWsledman

Reaction score
Boards will save your knees. You’re not kicking ice all day. My Cats are terrible as far as boards go. if you like moving your feet stock boards make crazy ice.

For knee pads. A $50 set of fox racing knee/chin pads protect awesome. Way less restrictive than braces.
Good idea, im talking knee pads that stick or mount directly to the tank shroud of the sled. I had them on my old 11 m8 and they saved my knees bigtime.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good idea, im talking knee pads that stick or mount directly to the tank shroud of the sled. I had them on my old 11 m8 and they saved my knees bigtime.
On the chassis you have now the side panels round quite a bit. Stick on Kneepads aren’t as effective. 11 m8 was flat by the knees. It was nice to rest your knees on the dash going down hills. if it was me, I’d wear kneepads under my snow pants.

Catman10

Drinking the Doolaid
Reaction score
A good combo to gain some track speed, get an aftermarket y pipe they add 4 hp, definitely clutching and gearing and the airbox on those really benefitted with some additional venting, after that it gets expensive, pipe and programming, porting etc.

Jorgy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you have $1000 to spend do a 21/49 gear down, clutch kit with adjustable weights ( Dalton or SSI) and y pipe. This definitely makes a big differnece on these sleds when paired together. I had a 2016 M8000 162 and it was great, put 3000 miles on these mods with zero issues (I blew up a clutch but that was arctic cats fault)

PNWsledman

Reaction score
If you have $1000 to spend do a 21/49 gear down, clutch kit with adjustable weights ( Dalton or SSI) and y pipe. This definitely makes a big differnece on these sleds when paired together. I had a 2016 M8000 162 and it was great, put 3000 miles on these mods with zero issues (I blew up a clutch but that was arctic cats fault)
Is the clutch kit mandatory when changing gearing? Ill be honest I dont know alot about clutching. I’ve always just grabbed hung on with whatever is set to from the dealer. Just run aftermarket Y pipe with the stock expansion chamber? Or need the full exhaust kit to make a difference?

Levithan

Reaction score
stock pipe with a y or else you have to get a fuel controller. I can't remember what my panel pads are, bdx maybe. Clutch kits come preset with all the parts for your application.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those sleds were pretty good out of the box. The 2.6 track is decent but the 3" is a big improvement. I would upgrade the track and skis first and dial in the clutching for the bigger track with a Y pipe for some extra pull and call it good.
They're worth F All to sell so you can pull all that stuff back off and sell it when the time comes.

PNWsledman

Reaction score
Those sleds were pretty good out of the box. The 2.6 track is decent but the 3" is a big improvement. I would upgrade the track and skis first and dial in the clutching for the bigger track with a Y pipe for some extra pull and call it good.
They're worth F All to sell so you can pull all that stuff back off and sell it when the time comes.
Mine is a 2016 ltd so came stock with the 3”.

PNWsledman

Reaction score
So far I have ordered the air temp sensor relocation, bdx protectair, pin’d running board inserts, ggb trail can (the jaws trail can rubs on my chain case and I like the ggb design better). Still trying to figure out gearing/clutching, may have to ride a couple times this season to see how it runs stock. Better skis also interest me. Thanks for the advice so far! Keep it coming.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far I have ordered the air temp sensor relocation, bdx protectair, pin’d running board inserts, ggb trail can (the jaws trail can rubs on my chain case and I like the ggb design better). Still trying to figure out gearing/clutching, may have to ride a couple times this season to see how it runs stock. Better skis also interest me. Thanks for the advice so far! Keep it coming.
cancel the GGB order and run the Jaws with an extra spring or something to hold it in position. Jaws quality far exceeds GGB.

Top Bottom